SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend the new Dreilaenderbruecke (Three Countries bridge) crossing the river Rhein between Weil am Rhein, southern Germany, and Huningue in France, near swiss border, was opened. The bridge with a length of 230 m is the world largest free span bridge for pedestrians.

Follow this link for some pictures.

·
Gotta lite?
5,989 Posts
Thanks for the link.

For those not too familiar with these small German/French towns, if you can spot Basel on a map of Europe (Switzerland), Huningue and Weil am Rhein are "effectively" suburbs of Basel, though in the different countries. It operates similar to a metropolitan area, and all three cities share the same urban footprint.

There is still a border to the Swiss part, but between the German and French sides, there is no real border posts. Many people live, work and shop between these three countries here being the single urban area and their proximity.

And this is a very nice bridge. I quite like these new pedestrian bridges going up over the Rhein between France and Germany, linking cities on both sides easier. Strasbourg and Kehl also have one.

·
███████&
858 Posts
Yes.

This weekend the new Dreilaenderbruecke (Three Countries bridge) crossing the river Rhein between Weil am Rhein, southern Germany, and Huningue in France, near swiss border, was opened.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Don't know. In an newspaper article the designer said that the construction is "played out". Some more informations about the construction are on the LAP-homepage, who did the engineering.
They didn't seem to have mentioned it though... thanks anyway!

·
Premium Member
16,252 Posts
love it

·
Registered
190 Posts
talking about brigdes in germany.... i heard something about a river that crosses over another one by a brigde in germany..

does anyone know something about that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
talking about brigdes in germany.... i heard something about a river that crosses over another one by a brigde in germany..

does anyone know something about that?
This is waterway junction Magdeburg, where the Mittelland canal crosses the river Elbe. The canal bridge is 918 m long and consists of the 228 m long stream bridge and the 690 m long foreland bridge.

Look:
http://www.grassl-ing.de/projekte/ansicht_e10_3.html
http://www.w-nienke.de/html/kanalbrucke_md.html

·
...rodjen na Balkanu...
764 Posts
very nice... but as already said, looks kinda unsafe... or it's just an optical illusion... i suppose they thought about that and made it so it could endure a crowd of people... :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Arch asymmetry

The difference in the two arches is interesting. I wonder if there is any engineering reason for it, or whether it is merely for visual effect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts