SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually the 2nd brownstone project in downtown. The other one is on the south end. Here is a picture that I took of them on the site of construction.




OK, that is kind of blurry. Here is a better rendering.




Layout of the community of Brownstones
 

·
Panache
Joined
·
133 Posts
I love them! This is how a brownstone should look. I can't stand when developers try to make them look all modern and end up making them look suburban. nice project!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
The townhomes look great, but technically they aren't brownstones unless they quarried a specific stone. Though I do realize the developers called them brownstones. But after reviewing the plans, this is a great infill development, and bloody expensive.

Here is some info I found on Sterrett Street: http://www.sterrettstreet.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
TheBrad said:
The townhomes look great, but technically they aren't brownstones unless they quarried a specific stone. Though I do realize the developers called them brownstones. But after reviewing the plans, this is a great infill development, and bloody expensive.

Here is some info I found on Sterrett Street: http://www.sterrettstreet.com/
well techically, brownstones will never get built again. some of the "brownstones" you find in philly, new york, and boston are still called "brownstones" even if they are built from brick rather than the red sand stone I believe you are speaking of, like these are.

The homes are expensive, but it would be even more if it were built with brownstone. For example there is another brownstone development happening on the south end of downtown near the rail line and they are throwing the word manhattan brownstone a lot, eventhough it is unknown what material they will be using. The only fact I know is that they will be steel structures and will go for about 2.7 million dollars a piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
What is the surrounding neighborhood like? The pricing doesn't seem too bad, $350k for 2,200 sq. ft. seems to be a steal for an intown location if it's in a good neighborhood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
atlrvr said:
What is the surrounding neighborhood like? The pricing doesn't seem too bad, $350k for 2,200 sq. ft. seems to be a steal for an intown location if it's in a good neighborhood.

Here are some pics I took around the neighborhood. The 4th and 5th pics are right across from the development.













 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
texasboy said:
well techically, brownstones will never get built again. some of the "brownstones" you find in philly, new york, and boston are still called "brownstones" even if they are built from brick rather than the red sand stone I believe you are speaking of, like these are.
I'm impressed... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
I love the DharmaCafe.....seems like a cool area. How far is all of this from the heart of the business distrcit in blocks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
atlrvr said:
I love the DharmaCafe.....seems like a cool area. How far is all of this from the heart of the business distrcit in blocks?

I don't know how far it is in blocks, but to get to the northern border of downtown, it is .3 miles. To the heart of downtown it is exactly a mile.

To get an idea how far you are, this is the view from the project. Click on the thumbnail.




Brad, you are impressed about what? It didn't make sense to me by the response that you quoted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
texasboy said:
Brad, you are impressed about what? It didn't make sense to me by the response that you quoted.
That was just a good response, that's all - very accurate definition. Indeed, the era of Brownstones are essentially dead - but the unique stone is still being quarried in Connecticut, but not for production basis.

Anyways, this is truly an awesome infill development, I would love to see something similar in Atlanta - rather than the typical mega-block monstrosities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
I walked by this development Saturday night while I was in downtown. Phase I is already complete by the looks of things. I believe the brownstones will begin construction once three of them are sold. Until then, they will begin in late August/early September.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top