SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that there are new bus stop graphics in the LTA standard font.
Any feedback? I think that this version is very well standardized, and am happy the 'island logo' for public transport can come in handy.

I think Jussi Edlund (LTA Graphics Designer) helped with this
http://jussiedlund.com/page/2/

Previous

Now

G

·
Looks very clear, love the idea on putting the bus routes on the pole itself. No need to elbow through the crowds like now to check them out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then again we can't check out the route on rainy days, and there's far lesser space to display routes. Anyway I think they use the "empty" space to display special services "eg 174e" operating hours etc rather than the actual routes.

I prefer the CBD design better. Would be good if they used the same design throughout the island, having 3 only raises costs and isn't really standardisation. And its odd to see the Bus Logo above the Transport Island Logo.
Rainy days? You mean the transitlink map at the back of the bus stop will be removed? :eek:hno:... i actually like the new pole cos its easier to read and more classy/european looking :)

what's so odd seeing the bus logo? thats the way its meant to be.
our mrt system is already very efficient partly because of its graphics.

·
DOODling away...
28 Posts
If I'm not wrong the clear window on the bus pole itself is to show time tables for special services like Fast Forward services which does not operate whole day. It's not used to show routes, which I think, would be a bit too small, esp. with many bus services.

Then again, I may be wrong :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ I doubt routes are shown on the pole window, as there is a separate board for that behind the seats at the bus stop.

i like the font used though... LTA font by Hubert Jocham is one of my favorites.
one more step towards an integrated public transport system!

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
^^ I don't get it. In the old system, the timings for the irregular services have been traditionally propped up high on the bus stop poles OR in the case of the CBD area, at the old style CBD bus stop poles. So how have you been coping during rainy days reading the timings of the irregular services all these while?

This bus stop pole is nothing revolutionary, and is just a mere cosmetic change.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant odd as in the public transport logo is located BENEATH the bus logo. Its very minor its just that there is no sense of hierarchy. :lol: Like Public transport is not a subset of Bus. haha. Just nitpicking.

Yes I like the new designs in general as well. :)

As in on rainy days you can't possibly walk out into the rain to see the special timetable for special services like 174e etc. Its best if the pole remains just a pole for displaying all bus services that can be seen from a distance.
The graphics aspect is a little petty but I can agree with you on that. Maybe because of the emphasis on it being a bus stop.

The new designs remind me of the standardisation of transperth trains in perth, metlink trains in melbourne and the very weak and failed attempt of rapidkl.

i wonder how japan makes it so successful though without standardisation and such?

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
I mean the timetables previously were on the pole on a plate high up. Now they're on a small board at the bottom of the pole. If you can see whats on the small board on the new poles from the bus stop, then my bad.

No I do not have problems with the rain and the ability to walk. I don't get why I am being bashed at this.

Never mind. :)
I'm not bashing you.

Perhaps I've been too comfortable in using iRIS as well as the bus arrival information system that it somehow deludes me of the purpose of printing bus timetables of irregular services in the first place.

Plus, it doesn't replace the bus services info boards at bus stops.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SMRT buses don't even give the timings... thats why i always miss my bus or have to wait for such a long time...
it's a shame SMRT doesn't impliment iris pfft.

i wish the windows on the pole would show the bus timings, like in perth or japan... much easier to plan journey in that way.

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
^^ that's one thing I hate about SMRT buses. Seems to me that they have 2 types of frequencies for its services; "high" profile services like 67, 190, 169, aka the bendy bus trunk services, and 77 are very frequent while the rest are painfully low frequencies.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've noticed that there are new bus stop graphics in the LTA standard font.
Any feedback? I think that this version is very well standardized, and am happy the 'island logo' for public transport can come in handy.

I think Jussi Edlund (LTA Graphics Designer) helped with this
http://jussiedlund.com/page/2/
No, he just proposed some obvious suggestions, which were cheerfully ignored by LTA. For example, right now the bus stop code is in larger letters than the name of the stop, even though the name is infinitely more useful. :bash:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ that's one thing I hate about SMRT buses. Seems to me that they have 2 types of frequencies for its services; "high" profile services like 67, 190, 169, aka the bendy bus trunk services, and 77 are very frequent while the rest are painfully low frequencies.
Worst of all, SMRT buses ONLY serve my area as well pfft.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, he just proposed some obvious suggestions, which were cheerfully ignored by LTA. For example, right now the bus stop code is in larger letters than the name of the stop, even though the name is infinitely more useful. :bash:
Aiyo why LTA ignore everything.
Yes, a larger name would be better appreciated.
How about real time information regarding buses?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ I don't like the ones at Orchard, very impractical.

Simplest way is to just do this:

Bus // Mins
123 // 4
578 // 7

Can also use matrix dot. Much cheaper and easier to maintain.
Why now Singapore replace all the matrix dot with Plasma :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.