SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new development is proposed for the Blonk St carpark, between the Wicker and the river. The development will consist of the erection of 132 apartments with retail units.

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
Cant make my mind up about this one..

Good points
- Offices on stilts, quite futuristic
- Decent element of car parking
- Unusual design, which is largely good
- Much needed regeneration to the Wicker
- The height is substantial enough, but not overpowering

Bad Points
- Some of the colours (green/white)
- The retail element is isolated from the rest of the Wicker and city centre (it faces the opposite way)
- Looks like a 60s design brought up to date
- Lots of open space at ground level, but it isnt overlooked because the apartments overhang, so potential crime hotspot.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hahaha, more height! No only joking, I'm not too impressed witgh this to be honest. I agree with Dinp, its defo looks 60's alright. I suppose it's better than having nothing or a run down building on the site though.

·
adSheff
232 Posts
Could do with a bit more work I reckon. Anyone seen Newcastle Quayside? There's some brilliant mid-rise architecture there that looks quite timeless, which means it'll still be there in 30 years!

·
18,054 Posts
ooohhh!

i love it! but then again - i like 60s architecture, and i like buildings that lean out, so for me its great!!!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
hella good said:
ooohhh!

i love it! but then again - i like 60s architecture, and i like buildings that lean out, so for me its great!!!!
I like the white back of it, but those austere straight 1960s frontage?? Can't decide. Are austere 60s blocks coming back into fashion? We seem to be seeing a few of these proposals in Manc too. I have to save, I hope there won't be too many either in Sheffield or Manc, much prefer a slender tower myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It seems to be a mix of shapes all slammed togrther. It's the open plaza and the thick green border that wraps the lower floors is what makes it look 60's I think. But I think that more modernist architecture is being used in a backlash to the brash architecture of orchard square and medowhall. Look a Veocity- it's inspired by Le Corbusier (a modernist). The most important thing with this kind of proposal is the quality of materials and the details of joints. If you can get it clean, pure and absolutly faultless in there details then the overall look of the building should be fine. But is that the case here? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forum user 'KidsintheRiot' came across another render of the proposed development

·
18,054 Posts
yea i know that the site next to the bridge is for an office. but all the area all the way along the river on this rendering is cleared too: it was just a badly angled picture.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is approximately 1000x better than anything else buillt near the river recently and in terms of materials and design puts riverside exchange to shame. Having just visited the fantastic Java Island scheme in Amsterdam, im convinsed that this is the kind of development we should aspire to, with modern materials and ground floor usage. Really dont see what the problem is with this.

And as for Adsheffs comment about the apartments on Newcastles quayside being something to aspire to...couldnt disagree more!

but hey thats just my opinion!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts