SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
The Delivery Guy
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New satellite cities will be built to the south and west of Brisbane in a bid to meet a growing demand for affordable housing in south-east Queensland.

The State Government says the Urban Land Development Authority will masterplan cities in three major greenfield areas.

Ripley Valley, Yarrabilba and Greater Flagstone, in the western and southern growth corridors, will be designed from the ground up.

Ripley Valley is located south-west of Ipswich Central, Yarrabilba is south of Logan, and Greater Flagstone lies just west of Jimboomba.

The cities will be planned so that children can walk to school and workers can live close to public transport, and will also include green space.

The State Government says the areas will cater for population growth and take the pressure off sensitive environmental and coastal areas.
Premier Anna Bligh says the cities will help meet growing demand for housing.

"This is about creating communities for the population that's moving here in a well-planned way," she said.

She says the cities will be home to about 250,000 people.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/26/2909472.htm

·
perthistan
6,467 Posts
Three new "model cities" for southeast Queensland

* Craig Johnstone
* May 26, 2010 8:01AM

Three new cities between Brisbane and Gold Coast to ease housing demand / news.com.au Source: news.com.au

* Will be planned, "model cities"
* Green and transport friendly
* Low cost affordable housing

THE Queensland Government has announced three brand new cities will be built in the state's southeast from the ground up to take pressure off population growth.

The Government's powerful land development body will take control of three greenfield areas in the region's west and southwest to quickly deliver new masterplanned communities set to be home to an extra 250,000 people.

Construction is likely to start in the three areas at Ripley Valley, west of Springfield, and Greater Flagstone and Yarrabilba, in Logan's south near Jimboomba, before the end of next year.

Premier Anna Bligh said the new "model cities" would "work better than anything we have seen in Queensland before".

She said the model cities would allow children to walk to school, workers to catch public transport and families to enjoy ample green open space. But fast tracking development of these areas may add to the region's urban sprawl, with the new satellite cities located up to 40km away from the centre of Brisbane.

They will require the Government to expand its much-vaunted urban footprint and may add pressure to existing transport links while new infrastructure, such as the Springfield rail line, due to be completed in 2015, is built.

The move also contrasts with the spirit of the Southeast Queensland Regional Plan, which dictates that most of the forecast 750,000 new homes the region needs over the next 20 years should be built in existing suburbs.

Fast tracking development of these areas on the region's urban fringe means that at least one in every four homes on greenfield sites in southeast Queensland would be built there.

The Urban Land Development Authority's takeover of these development areas is the centrepiece of the Government's response to its growth management summit, which highlights the challenges of dealing with the region's predicted rampant population growth.

The ULDA will now take planning control for the identified areas from the Ipswich and Logan councils to assess their capacity to deliver more than 100,000 new homes.

The authority will have about four months to put forward the sites as Urban Development Areas, and another 12 months to bring the first housing lots to market – a timetable that could lead to construction before the end of 2011.

The ULDA now controls nine significant development sites throughout Queensland, including key parcels of land in Mackay, Townsville and Gladstone as well as large landholdings at Bowen Hills, Hamilton and Fitzgibbon in Brisbane's north.

The Government is hoping the authority will allow development of affordable and medium density housing to keep pace with population growth.

An extra two million people are expected to call southeast Queensland home over the next 20 years, bringing its population to 4.4 million by 2031.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
This is odd -

An extra two million people are expected to call southeast Queensland home over the next 20 years, bringing its population to 4.4 million by 2031.

As of now

Bne - 2 million
GC - 600000
SC - 300000
Towoomba - 120000

Total - 3.2 million now

+ 2 million = 5.2 million.

·
perthistan
6,467 Posts
This is odd -

As of now

Bne - 2 million
GC - 600000
SC - 300000
Towoomba - 120000

Total - 3.2 million now

+ 2 million = 5.2 million.

maybe he meant just Brisbane?

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
rofl, meanwhile this is making news.

Canefields to stop urban sprawl

CANEFIELDS and farmland around Jacobs Well will be turned into parks and nature reserves under a new plan to stop urban sprawl between the Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Any hopes frustrated canegrowers had of cashing in on the development boom by selling their land will be dashed, with the State Government planning to buy up properties as they come on the market to turn them into 'green wedges'.

Premier Anna Bligh yesterday unveiled the proposal for the future of the canefields which came out of the Queensland Growth Management Summit held in March.

Ms Bligh said under the plan some of the farmland and forests between southeast Queensland's urban areas would be transformed into major new parks, nature reserves and outdoor recreation areas.

"The message from the community is that we must avoid a continuous urban strip from the Gold Coast to the Sunshine Coast at all costs," she said.

"No one wants to see 200 kilometres of wall-to-wall urban development.

"This means inter-urban breaks at places like Woongoolba and Norwell or Beerburrum (on the Sunshine Coast) must be retained."

At the moment the areas are dominated by rural uses such as sugarcane farming and pine forests.

Landholders, community groups and the local council would be consulted to find and develop appropriate areas.

The Government plans to have a new 10-year strategy in place by mid-2011 to ensure the land remains undeveloped and used only for purposes such as agriculture, green space and outdoor recreation.

"This will ensure that large parts of these green wedges are accessible to the people so families can enjoy walking through these open spaces, kick a football or picnic with their friends," she said.

Ms Bligh said land would be bought as it came on the market and as budgets became available.

Albert MP Margaret Keech said she strongly supported the protection of green space between the two cities.

"People are telling me that we have to strike a balance between providing for growing communities and protecting our environment and the lifestyles we've come to enjoy," she said.

"Particularly for an area like the northern Gold Coast where we have some beautiful rural regions, it is important to protect the character of this land."
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2010/05/26/221435_gold-coast-news.html

The Gold Coast and Brisbane are all but one now, anyway. I mean, I'm all for stopping a east-west sprawl away from the transit corridor, but seriously...

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
^^ Having some green belts is a solid idea though. But I agree, the cities are joined to the west of that area and will continue to sprawl into each other even more - particularly with these "new cities".

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Thanks for that photo JayT, I drove out to Springfield once with my camera, as I'd heard so much about what a huge, booming place it was. And all I found was exactly what you just posted above.

Did I make a wrong turn or something, or is that it at present?

All these new suburbs better have heavy rail as part of the plans.

·
The Delivery Guy
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that photo JayT, I drove out to Springfield once with my camera, as I'd heard so much about what a huge, booming place it was. And all I found was exactly what you just posted above.

Ripley Valley will have the new 'south west transport corridor' nearby.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Ripley Valley will have the new 'south west transport corridor' nearby.
So does Springfield - look at it now.

What odds can I get for these places turning into shitholes with infrequent buses, a dodgy commuter line to the CBD which everyone drives to and is useless for more local trips and of course endlessly winding and looping streets?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why is Australia obsessed with building soulless, remote, boring, sterile planned communities miles from nowhere?

People nowadays want a condensed, urban, walkable, exciting life right in the city - not out in the sticks in Nowheresville.

Start by bulldozing inner city industrial areas and building massively dense Hong Kong/Singapore style apartments and sell them to private owner/occupiers.

And build a full-scale proper underground metro network. Why are Sydney and Melbourne talking about getting to 7 million and a metro is still not even on the agenda? Montreal has 4 million and has a metro...

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
^^
I agree.

Unfortunately Australian's think that by building new cities in the middle of nowhere we are somehow building 'affordable' communities when in fact those communities built on our fringes are vastly more expensive to society as a whole than converting inner city suburbs to high density.

Basically as a society we pay big bucks for those people to live on the fringes of our cities. We pay for the roads, freeways, rail connections and other infrastructure that must connect these 'out of the way' places.

We pay for these 'cheap' alternatives.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
I said this to her this afternoon;

"Sorry Anna but your 'satellite city' idea is crazy. Forget about density, let's go down the path of urban sprawl..."

I don't know whether she understood my sarcasm, but her reply was rather pathetic.

"Wrong Luke, these new communities in urban footprint - infill & greenfield in compact area both play role in SEQ plan"

Can anyone make sense of that? :dunno:

·
Registered
730 Posts

maybe all of the folks live in that surrounding bush/forest in campsites, since that is probably what one can afford these days for $200k.

·
Yes. No. Potato?
3,023 Posts
"Wrong Luke, these new communities in urban footprint - infill & greenfield in compact area both play role in SEQ plan"

Sure. I speak politician. "What Luke? I don't know what you said or meant but I'm going to use buzzwords my team have been telling me".

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
She went to miami high, the same school i went to so it kinda makes sence shes a bit stupid

·
7,952 Posts
I said this to her this afternoon;

"Sorry Anna but your 'satellite city' idea is crazy. Forget about density, let's go down the path of urban sprawl..."

I don't know whether she understood my sarcasm, but her reply was rather pathetic.

It could also be:

"Wrong Luke. Me Anna, me want money. Me sell land for money. Me brains of Qld. Banana?"

1 - 20 of 52 Posts