SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Siemens plans to create an iconic building to be a permanent showcase for sustainable technologies and a destination for the public, customers and students to meet and explore the innovation required to achieve a low carbon society. The centre expects to attract around 100,000 visitors a year. School groups from across London are also expected to use the facility for educational trips. It will be located at the western end of the Royal Docks near to the ExCeL centre and London City airport. When complete, the building will be a base for around 230 Siemens employees as well as providing the potential for around 50 new local jobs directly and in the supply chain.

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, used the announcement to underpin a speech at the BASE London conference, outlining a range of measures to secure London’s pre-eminence as a global leader of the low carbon economy. He said: “A century ago, we were cashing in on carbon, yet now there are clear economic opportunities coming from getting rid of it. I want London to be ahead of the queue, grasping a significant share of the jobs and economic booty arising from this new generation of low carbon goods and services.

“It is a clear sign of the confidence in London’s ability to nurture and support eco-enterprises that Siemens has chosen to locate its flagship centre of sustainability here in the UK capital. The Siemens Pavilion is set to sit at the heart of a brand new Green Enterprise District, which will sweep across east of the city. We envisage that the District will be a vibrant, international hub incubating dozens of low carbon businesses to transform what has historically been some of the poorest parts of the capital.

”Andreas J. Goss said: “I am delighted to announce our plans to build the Siemens Pavilion. Our aim is to create an attractive focal point that celebrates London’s ambition and leadership in green technologies and sustainability. Siemens is at the heart of providing sustainable solutions from renewable energy generation, to low-carbon transport and urban infrastructure. I hope the Siemens Pavilion will act as a catalyst for wider community involvement in the debate about how we best address the challenge of climate change in our cities. ”

The Siemens Pavilion will comprise an exhibition, which will be open to the public, a 300-seat auditorium and facilities for educational tour groups. There are plans for interactive exhibits, seating areas, a café and shop as well as outdoor seating areas and exhibits.

Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: "Nowhere else in the UK is undergoing transformation on the scale of Newham. London is moving east and there is huge potential here for investment, growth and greater prosperity. I am delighted a huge blue chip organisation such as Siemens plc has recognised this.

"This new visitor attraction will put the Royal Docks on the national and international stage as a place for supporting new technology and innovation. Other high profile businesses with green credentials will never have a better opportunity to invest in the main host borough of the 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games."

Siemens has appointed a consortium comprising Pringle Brandon and Wilkinson Eyre Architects to design and build the Siemens Pavilion. The Siemens Pavilion buildings will cover an area of 3,687m2, over three storeys, the total area to be developed is 7,002m2.

The building will itself be a showcase for sustainable design and construction. The design will maximise the use of natural daylight where possible, but will also incorporate high performance glazing, photovoltaic panels, energy efficient lighting and metering. Rainwater harvesting, water efficient appliances, ground source heat pumps and solar water heating will all be integral to the design and the building will be constructed using recycled steel and industrial by-product cement. Sustainable drainage and water efficient landscaping are also part of the plans to create a relaxing waterside environment around the building. The aim is to design and build a facility that reaches the highest possible standards of sustainability.

The Siemens Pavilion is expected to be completed and open to visitors in early 2012

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wilkinson Eyre centre to go ahead

from www.bdonline.co.uk

Wilkinson Eyre has won planning for its £30 million landmark sustainability centre in London’s Royal Victoria Docks.

Pringle Brandon is interior architect on the project, which is to open before the Olympics. The 7,000sq m building will showcase new technology and sustainable living and working.

Chris Wilkinson said: “We are really pleased to receive consent for this exciting building which embodies the key design philosophies of our practice: combining the latest technology with dynamic form and an inherent approach to sustainability.”

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I walked past the site a few days ago and it appears that the site is already undergoing prep work. It sounds like construction work will soon begin in earnest, which is understandable given this is to be ready for the olympics.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ooh, this is a very nice scheme! :banana:

What's the bridge (shown on the left in a faint transparent grey colour) in this picture?

and what's the thing that looks like a monument/statue already toppled over (Bottom left of 1st quoted picture)!
I think the bridge you speak of is the elevated road that passes the west of the site (behind the building in these views). The "toppled monument" is presumably another relick of the days when these were docks, like the cranes that still exist on the south of Victoria dock and also around the Isle of Dogs.

I'm excited to see that start of a new quarter here, and with the potential cable car landing right next door, this could become an interesting place in the future.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Toppled monument looks suspiciously like a ships engine turbine... something Siemens is involved in making more efficient. Goes with the project quite well I think.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
^ hmm looks like textbook Wilkinson Eyre fractured geometry stuff...but I suppose you can't really have a go at a practice plagarising/raiding their own back catalogue can you, and the willfull form does seem to suit the location's openness.

·
Ho hum
2,842 Posts
^ hmm looks like textbook Wilkinson Eyre fractured geometry stuff...but I suppose you can't really have a go at a practice plagarising/raiding their own back catalogue can you, and the willfull form does seem to suit the location's openness.
I think it's perfect for a little pavillion like this personally. I must admit though I kind of feel that fractured geometry has had it's moment. Soon to go the way of random bar-code cladding.

Mark my words - the future is curvy!

...until the next thing after that. :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Passed on the DLR this morning - the core in the southern part of the building (the office half) is up to at least two floors now, possibly 3. Didn't get a chance to take a pic I'm afraid, but rest assured this is being built and is under construction.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picture of the site taken last week. The core is at third level and steelwork is beginning to appear above ground.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts