Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
35,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out with the uber camera to london a couple of days ago. nice weather and managed to snap about 100 pics, here's a few of them. amongst the gear i used was a 420mm zoom lens, 12mm wide angle (nothing posted up here with that), obligatory circular polarising filter, and autostitch for all those cramped moments.

Willis is largely finished

it has the most amazing photochromatic glass

and compliments lloyds nicely

willis building east looks part of the whole thing from some angles

122 leadenhall continues to hover strangely

dashwood house is under wraps now

all busy at the broadgate tower

where's wally?

even london wall looks nice in the sun

citypoint

our old friend the gherkin

and in reflection

westminster abbey

methodist central hall

ontario tower

pan penisula west tower

200 pentonville road is pretty much done

and so is the new apart hotel

·
Registered
18,396 Posts
Well done James. I'm really impressed, some really amazing pictures you got there. :)

I presume you got your hands on a new DSLR? :happy:

·
Administrator
35,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sure thing, as nice as my old camera is it's just not nice enough. what really makes the difference to what im posting on ssc though is i've just stopped compressing them so damn much. i snapped 180 in total including so many of 88 wood street i never want to see that building again.

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
Wow, fantastic photos Gothic, of the highest quality, money well spent!

The crispness, colour strength and detail are all exceptionally high. I particularly like the shot of Willis, 5th pic down, as people have already said it fits in with Lloyds perfectly.

It may not be my favourite building of the lot in that selection but I think my favourite shot is possibly (possibly...) the one of Ontario Tower. Such a great close up, never seen it so close, love the colouring of the sky you've err... created. ;) Just looks a real classy shot.

Nice stuff! Oh, and that red tint on the glass of Willis is pretty wierd, looks great though!

:cheers:

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Great stuff JAmie! (private)

·
Administrator
35,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
firstly the glass on the willis building is photochromatic. if you can get the sun reflecting directly via it towards you it is tinted red :)

secondly i didnt create the sky. its so bright and sunny that he building would be over exposed unless you have a much lower shutter speed. as a result the building is properly exposed and the sky is dark. the slight gradient as it gets darker at the top is caused by the use of a circular polarising filter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarising_filter#Polarizer

as you can see this is the RAW untouched image of citypoint before its had the colour balance corrected. works a treat doesnt it :) you simply need to know how to get the correct exposure and where to have the light.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
Well you dont get down here often James, but when you do!!!! Great stuff!

I'd forgotten how beautiful Central Hall is!

I love that Hotel building (?) next to Waterloo, well the side on view

Who would believe today that Westminster Abbey was painted multicolours when it was built, like all great Cathedrals, Minstera and Abbeys.

·
Administrator
35,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah well im gonna head back down to london again just as soon as we have more good weather. i think maybe ill get thameslink to st albans and do the abbey there :) only adds 13 mins to the journey then hop back after an hour.
i need more canary wharf pics and so on. that shot of ontario tower by the way was taken from south quay. i shall have fun with my zoom.

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
^^^^ not good enough! Allow a couple of hours in shepherds Bush!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I really love that shot of the gherkin. I think it's a perfect advert as to why old and new can compliment each other, with the church in the foreground and the gherk looking like some alien spaceship that has just landed in medievel times. It really annoys me when projects are shelved based on them interfering with/obscuring historical buildings. This can be detrimental at times but sometimes it enhances them by means of contrast.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Great set of photos and the weather really helps. I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of Ontario. It looks alot wider than I expected and the cladding is quite cheap. Still, the hotel near Waterloo station has turned out slightly better than I expected.

·
Ho hum
2,961 Posts
sure thing, as nice as my old camera is it's just not nice enough. what really makes the difference to what im posting on ssc though is i've just stopped compressing them so damn much. i snapped 180 in total including so many of 88 wood street i never want to see that building again.

I won't hear a word against my favouite London building. :)

Very nice photos btw.

·
Banned
1,989 Posts
New towers of London look so great! I haven't been there for almost a decade and I'm goona be very happy to see all the changes when I make a visit this year!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts