SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 380 Posts

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New framework document for Exec next week. Looks to be a couple of other interesting items on the agenda as well, Aytoun St & Great Jackson St, reports still to be uploaded.

New Cross Development Framework
This document has been prepared by Deloitte Real Estate on behalf of Manchester City Council with Masterplanning input from Simpson Haugh Architects and transport and traffic input from Curtins.
Covers quite a large area, but the primary focus is here, 'Zone A':

Wider plan. Zones A, B & C:

Some interesting data in the framework relating to current use, land ownership (key phrase: fragmented) & previous planning.

Current use

Planning application history - Zone A

Primarily residential led plan.

Lower scale housing around a central square.

Illustrative masterplan

Height parameters

Token mention for Mackie Mayor as well.

With regards to traffic flow, there's quite a bit of consideration on the ring road, which passes along Addington St & possible realignment to Thompson St. Concludes that it's currently not viable.
The cost, difficulty and disruption to the highway network that would be involved in re-aligning the IRR, however, would be considerable. As such, it has been concluded that at this point in time, the masterplanning benefits in relation to this Study Area in isolation are not sufficient to outweigh the costs.

· Read Only
16,598 Posts
Excellent! A step in the right direction IMO. Remember, before the recession there was a framework which started with Skyline Central. However, good to see that because of NOMA this area is being considered. Its virtually baron and full of car parks atm. Would be a real extension to the city and would connect be a welcome addition to connect Ancoats village to the city. Look forward to Aytoun and Great Jackson St too.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Good news that this is back on the cards.

This is an area with a great deal of potential given it's proximity to the current city centre edge (which is around Ancoats St). It's a grid system reminiscent of the similarly urban edge of the Pimlico grid in London. If you've been/lived in Pimlico you'll know that there are a lot of ground level retail units on the corners and main roads beneath 4 to 6 story residential (generally white stucco buildings). I think if this is to feel vibrant enough as an area it'll need those retail units for coffee shops, wine bars, newsagents, restaurants, estate agents, pubs etc. I'd suggest having these units up Marshall Street and also along Cross Keys Street. It'll never really work as an area if it doesn't have some life to it. I'd also suggest (like Pimlico) it will need a tram stop or similar to bring more people to the top part of the area (Thompson St). Without this happening it won't have enough footfall to be a desirable area to visit or live in and may just become a quiet place to get mugged on the city fringes.

Oh and like Pimlico it's probably a good place to locate some backpacker hostels as it's walking distance to the Northern Quarter.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're not seriously thinking of demolishing all the historic retail units on Swan Street are they?
Given the ownership of those properties, I think a wholesale redevelopment (short term) would be unlikely.
In terms of Zone A, the area has a complicated and fragmented ownership pattern, with ownership primarily being held within the private sector. This further emphasises the need for this framework – to ensure a coordinated approach based on sound masterplanning and development principles that provide a robust development control framework for assessing future planning applications.
The combination of a range of existing buildings, together with the fragmented ownership pattern, means that the Swan Street frontage presents a particular challenge in terms of securing urban renewal that can ensure that it provides the quality of environment that is commensurate to its gateway status.

I presume NCP/someone are going to have to build a huge multistory car park eventually to accommodate for those who were parking in these open area spots which are inevitability all going to be developed on
Various options for parking, there is provision for one MSCP (see bottom right below), but I think the preferred option is to avoid it if possible.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The plot they're designating the tallest build, 17-20 storey, on the corner of Rochdale Rd & Swan St (2 Rochdale Rd), interesting there's no planning history.

Digging a little. From an ad banner app last year:
We initially submitted an application under 101750/AOH/2013/NI, however our client had been poached [sic] in regards to selling the entire estate to a property developer. The developer plans were to demolish the entire estate and seek Planning Consent for a tower apartment complex. Contracts were exchanged subject to a bank loan & a successful planning application. However, the bank failed to lend the money which resulted in the developer pulling out from the proposal.

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.gov.uk/associateddocs/selecteddoc.aspx?105057-apl-0001.pdf
Skyline shot from jrb last year, in that direction.

· Registered
296 Posts
Hang on, would that be the loss of the Swan Street buildings - many of which are listed I think - and the loss of the, fine, terracotta 'John Swift Fruit Merchants' buildings? They're not outstanding but they would give variety and character to a redeveloped area.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worth reading the report in regards to what's listed & what are non designated heritage assets but considered valuable. The John Swift building they use as an example of an already successful office conversion, that should possibly be emulated. Swan Buildings are another non-listed building that gets a special mention.

· Registered
296 Posts
Phew, that's good. I think with the right buildings retained the area could be very interesting. I'd second one the above posters on the inclusion of retail space at ground level to add interest. IMO not enough schemes include retail space.

· Registered
2,381 Posts
The plot they're designating the tallest build, 17-20 storey, on the corner of Rochdale Rd & Swan St (2 Rochdale Rd), interesting there's no planning history.
Digging a little. From an ad banner app last year:
They've correctly identified this site as the one for the tallest building on the site but c'mon...17-20 floors? This is a Grade A spot for a residential tower. It would face the proposed 30 odd floor NOMA block.
Something similar at least is required here.

Also worried about the loss of the Swan St frontage, some of it good, especially that nice Dutch style pub with the beer garden.

· Registered
79 Posts
Good news that this is back on the cards.

This is an area with a great deal of potential given it's proximity to the current city centre edge (which is around Ancoats St). It's a grid system reminiscent of the similarly urban edge of the Pimlico grid in London. If you've been/lived in Pimlico you'll know that there are a lot of ground level retail units on the corners and main roads beneath 4 to 6 story residential (generally white stucco buildings). I think if this is to feel vibrant enough as an area it'll need those retail units for coffee shops, wine bars, newsagents, restaurants, estate agents, pubs etc. I'd suggest having these units up Marshall Street and also along Cross Keys Street. It'll never really work as an area if it doesn't have some life to it. I'd also suggest (like Pimlico) it will need a tram stop or similar to bring more people to the top part of the area (Thompson St). Without this happening it won't have enough footfall to be a desirable area to visit or live in and may just become a quiet place to get mugged on the city fringes.

Oh and like Pimlico it's probably a good place to locate some backpacker hostels as it's walking distance to the Northern Quarter.
A second Met line from Victoria to Etihad Campus maybe?

· Registered
4,248 Posts
Crown & Cushion, Dutch Pancake House, Cornerhouse, Legends ...... Fringe.

If you look at the growth of the city & the hospitality, gastronomic, pub-bar element of this, then there has been immense growthin the last decade, but no doubt there have been casualties along the way.

One would hope care would be taken to find assist Fringe in finding a new home, perhaps somewhere on the far edge of Ancoats- the new fringe of the city centre.

1 - 20 of 380 Posts