SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New stadium in Doncaster is gradually taking shape. Doncaster Rovers FC will move in at the end of 2006, signifying the end for their current Belle Vue Stadium....

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Shame, i love the name Belle Vue! Whats this stadium called? Where is it exactly?

·
Who'd sit in THAT chair..
1,136 Posts
It's next to Lakeside and the behind the Yorkshire Outlet and industrial estate, not sure of a name, its still quite close to the area of Belle Vue but it'll prob called The Lakeside Stadium or something. I'll try & find out...

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shame, but I think it's going to look pretty much the same as every other smaller football stadium that's been built in the UK built over the past 10 years. Still, many fans will argue it's much better than Belle Vue, which has always been a bit of a dump.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
Bladerunner said:
Shame, but I think it's going to look pretty much the same as every other smaller football stadium that's been built in the UK built over the past 10 years. Still, many fans will argue it's much better than Belle Vue, which has always been a bit of a dump.
Id have to agree there. It will be another boring new bowl of a stadium that always are built now around this country.

However, it will be a big improvement on Belle Vue.

·
1,136 Posts
Rovers fans are quite jealous of local rivals Scunthorpe ground, which is quite shiny and new, but since Belle Vue was a 9000 semi-seater semi-stander, and the new one will be a 15000 all-seater, with facilities to match, and othere teams like the Belles and Dragons relocating, it'll be better all round. :cheers:

My mate in the know says they haven't decided on a name yet, there a committee to do that, but it's currently reffered to as 'The Community Stadium.'

·
1,136 Posts
From www.dcstadium.co.uk

The Doncaster Community Stadium will integrate sport and community facilities into a single high quality venue designed to match its superb location on the water’s edge at Doncaster Lakeside. It will help raise Doncaster’s profile locally, regionally and nationally, and increase significantly the numbers of local people watching and taking part in sport. It will be the new home for Doncaster Rovers Football Club, Doncaster Rovers Belles Women’s football Club. Doncaster Lakers (formerly Dragons) Rugby League Club and the Doncaster and Stainforth Athletics Club.

After many months of negotiations work commenced on the 11th of October 2005. and will be 'delivered' on the 12th December 2006.
The £32 million 15,700 all seater stadium will incorporate an 800 square meter supporters bar, a 250 seat restaurant and a gymnasium and martial arts centre.
The Doncaster Community Stadium is the focal point of the Lakeside sports complex that includes two external full-size floodlit grass pitches, eight floodlit all-weather 5-a-side pitches and two floodlit all-weather 7-a-side pitches.
A second mini-stadium will include a stand with seating for 500, and have full athletics facilities including a six lane running track with eight-lane straights. There will also be parking for 1000 cars.

Not sure which of the two designs are final, but I think both are better than 'bland'! :)
Glad to see the additional facilities too, I didn't know about them!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Superfly said:
Rovers fans are quite jealous of local rivals Scunthorpe ground, which is quite shiny and new...
In nearly twenty years' of supporting the Rovers I've never heard anybody express anything other than disdain for Scunthorpe and their tin-pot stadium. Certainly, Belle Vue has often been a cause of embarrassment but a visit to Blandford Park is the footballing equivalent of a decade trapped inside a concrete tomb; all breezeblock and concrete. Lovely.

If Rovers' chairman John Ryan has his way, the new stadium will take the name of which ever corporate sponsor is prepared to pay the most.

·
1,136 Posts
Thats not what I used to hear, but then I've been away from Donny for a few years now...

I'll post some construction pics when I get my arse in gear...

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like another local club is moving out. This is from today's Star.

Spireites new stadium boost

CHESTERFIELD'S plans for a new stadium have been given a big boost.

The relocation of the club has been endorsed by a Government planning inspector after a public inquiry.
He backed Chesterfield Borough Council's proposals for the development of the town over the next 10 years.
That includes support for the allocation of 10 acres of the Dema Glass site on the old A61 Sheffield Road for a new stadium.
It is an important first step in the planning process.
The club now wait for site owners Wilson Bowden to conclude their talks with the council and receive outline planning approval for the overall development of the 25-acre site.
Once this key stage is passed, the club will enter into talks on the price of the 10-acre stadium site.
Demolition and clearance has already started and is expected to be completed by Spring.

·
E = MC²
5,540 Posts
The last time a mate of mine went to the Chesterfield football club stadium about 5 years ago, the Gents urinal was just a room where you pissed on the floor and they hosed it out later.

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
Apparently, the current stadium is officially called "The Earth Stadium". Hmmm...

I'm not sure I like the idea of club abandoning their old grounds in favour of shiny new (expensive) ones (Donny, Hull, Arsenal, Man City). Sheffield United, for example, are playing at a stadium that has hosted sport of some kind sine 1855, and first hosted a football match in 1862. It has been the Home of Sheffield Club, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United over the years. The ground has been updated and updated, and look at it now! Approx 33,000 all seated and with plans to fill in the Kop/Laver corner and build a new 2-tiered kop, it could reach over 37,000. That's bigger than White Hart Lane, the Riverside, Upton Park etc, and already it's bigger than The Valley, Selhurst Park, Cravn Cottage and the Reebok.

I remember standing in the John Street terrace, and I'm only 21. Look at that stand now - it's one of the smartest stands in the region! I think more clubs can and should stick with their old grounds - we can all play 3-sided for one season. And you know what, playing 3-sided with reduced capacity is a good incentive to get that fourth side finished on-time and on-budget ;)

·
1,136 Posts
I think the main reasons Donny are moving are because the Belle Vue (Earth) site is very restricted, they could only really build on one side, and that this new build is a landmark sports complex, whereas Belle Vue only has facilties for football, plus if they turned it into an all seater, it would be about 5000, he new one is 15500, over 1/3 what they have now, terraces in all. And since they council are involved, I reckon Rovers will be paying less than if they tried to update Belle Vue on their own.

Tis a shame tho, Rovers have played there since 1922.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As we've already been talking about Donnie Rovers and Chesterfield, I thought I'd hook a congrats to Barnsley onto this thread. Promoted to the Championship today, and will be playing the likes of Wednesday and Leeds next season. Good on you.

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
Superfly said:
I think the main reasons Donny are moving are because the Belle Vue (Earth) site is very restricted, they could only really build on one side, and that this new build is a landmark sports complex, whereas Belle Vue only has facilties for football, plus if they turned it into an all seater, it would be about 5000, he new one is 15500, over 1/3 what they have now, terraces in all. And since they council are involved, I reckon Rovers will be paying less than if they tried to update Belle Vue on their own.

Tis a shame tho, Rovers have played there since 1922.
Oh, I completely see the reasoning, it just a shame that in this day economics beats tradition.

Sorry, I'm a strange cross between traditionalism and development. Not bad for a Yorkshireman who's spent the best part of his life away from the Motherland!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts