SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knights Thank State Government,
From the Energy Australia Stadium website.
Great news fro Newcastle.

Tuesday, 27 May 2008 - Newcastle Knights

The Newcastle Knights have expressed their appreciation to the New South Wales State Government for today’s EnergyAustralia Stadium redevelopment and upgrade announcement.

Knights CEO, Steve Burraston was joined by Captain, Danny Buderus and Kangaroos Utility, Kurt Gidley for Premier Morris Iemma’s announcement of a further $20-million to transform Newcastle’s greatest public asset into a World Class venue over the next three years.

“The Premier, Treasurer and the New South Wales Government have had tremendous foresight and support for the needs of such a growing region like Newcastle and the Hunter Valley,” Mr Burraston said.

“This will put Newcastle on the map as a world class sporting and entertainment venue”.

A three-stage development will see a state of the art grandstand replace the existing Western Grandstand, raising the ground capacity to 33,000 and up to 40,000 with temporary seating on each hill.

The latest in modern facilities will include change rooms, medical rooms; media work stations and broadcast boxes, function rooms and Corporate Hospitality.

“Today’s announcement has delivered an important asset which will assist in our Community’s growth and development,” said Mr Burraston.

“We can not only attract world class sports and other entertainment that will be great for the community but also the local economy.”

“In a time when Rugby League clubs are struggling to survive the new stadium will give us an opportunity to sell better seating and Corporate Facilities to a larger audience and assist with our longevity,” he said.

Mr Burraston added a World Class facility will also assist with the Newcastle Knights wider Community goals and programmes by allowing young sportspeople to realise their dreams from Newcastle.

“This is a great thing for the community in a time when we have major problems with childhood obesity.”

“The more children we get into sport the better and having a facility of this standard will attract international, high quality elite games to the stadium across a number of codes such as Rugby League, Rugby Union, and Soccer.

“This will have an enormous impact on the Community as a whole, particularly children.

“This puts us in the same league as the likes of the Broncos who have Suncorp Stadium or the Titans who have Skilled Stadium and its important we are able to keep major sporting events in New South Wales and in particular our region.”

Newcastle Knights Captain Danny Buderus and star fullback, Kurt Gidley also welcomed today’s announcement.

“It’s not just great for the sporting side of things – the events that this stadium can hold will make for a spectacular site when its finished so today’s announcement is big news for our city and a sign of the direction Newcastle is heading in the future,” Buderus said.

“From when I first started watching football at the stadium as a kid it’s changed a lot but it’s going to be great to still be a part of it after re-signing and the thought of running into a new stadium,” said Gidley.

“I speak for all players past and present in saying we appreciate everything the Premier and the New South Wales Government have done for the Knights and the City of Newcastle.

Stage 1 construction is already underway with work on stages 2 and 3 to continue through until the end of 2010.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is the capacity 33k with it being able to be expanded to 40k for big events, or is it just going to be 40k? If it is 40k do they really need a stadium that big up there, i guess it will allow for semi finals and possibly an origin game to be played up there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
40k with temp seating on the hills at each end.
The next development after this should be covered stands at each end. This would lift the capacity to around the 50k mark, and that would still be to small for Newcastle.

·
Walking Leather Boots
1,995 Posts
Is the capacity 33k with it being able to be expanded to 40k for big events, or is it just going to be 40k? If it is 40k do they really need a stadium that big up there, i guess it will allow for semi finals and possibly an origin game to be played up there.
Newcastle is renowned for its love and support of sport particularly NRL. I guess thats what makes any NRL match pull big crowd numbers

·
derp
10,274 Posts
A 40k stadium will feel empty in Newcastle - 33k (so 40k minus the temp seating for special events) will be a good number - the Knights can regularly pull 25-28k and the Jets can do similar for the derby games.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This year the knights are averaging 19,680 and in the last 5 years have had only one season in which they averaged more than 20k, in 2006 with 21,848. While the upgrade is good, i just hope the knights can increase their attendance to come close to filling it.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Not bad for a team who's reuslts have been less than spectacular.

As the average crowds get higher walk-up patrons (including myself) get discouraged from attempting to go to the game for fear of tickets being sold out. With a higher capacity, that will push up the average crowd numbers a bit.

Edit: I actually travelled the nearly 3 hours by train from Sydney to the stadium only to see the game was sold out. Luckily my mate and I were able to sneak in through a loosely-chained gate :)

·
Walking Leather Boots
1,995 Posts
Yeah i mean Sydney has an 80k + stadium and it rarley pulls that number for every game their. The only time it does is during grand finals and on rare occasions in the state of origin.

It will be the same for newcastle. Knights will probably pull just over 20k for their average matches but if big events such as A leagu grand final ect are held their then it will pull large numbers

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
Just a question - how is the view from the top tiers of the Andrew Johns Stand? If it's Homebush-esque then it won't be really worth it would it?

But this is good news - you rarely see the 'old' grandstand from telly but it sure isn't as attractive as the young version across. The Knights would be able to fill that in the semis, or in a one-off Andrew Johns Celebrity League Match:D For the Jets, an F3 derby against the Mariners could get 33k definitely.

Although it might be 10-15k too small for an Origin game, imagine the atmosphere there - deep in Blues territory, you'd find a lot less Maroon jerseys there:yes:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts