1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From The Age

New green transit buses for Sydney

June 3, 2007 - 2:24PM

More than 250 new environmentally-friendly buses will be introduced into the Sydney fleet as part of a $120 million public transport plan.

NSW Transport Minister John Watkins said the upcoming state budget would provide for 265 new Euro 5 clean diesel buses and retrofitting old buses to reduce emissions.

"(With) these 265 new buses there will be an environmental saving in a full year of 190 tonnes of greenhouse gases and 170 tonnes of nitrogen oxide," Mr Watkins said on Sunday.

"Seven tonnes of particulates won't go into our atmosphere because of these new buses that have been purchased and spread across the fleet."

The 265 new buses would carry an average of 38 people at a time.

Sydney buses chief John Lee said older buses would be fitted with emission controls.

"When our buses actually go into refurbishment we can get the exhaust systems treated, which also means there are less particulates in the atmosphere for the people who live and work in Sydney," Mr Lee said.

Mr Watkins said a two-year trial into the effectiveness of a hybrid taxi had already recorded good results after 18 months.

"The hybrid taxi initiative of the Taxi Council and Legion Cabs has driven about 150,000 km with very few mechanical problems at all and so that's pointing to a cleaner, greener future for Sydney taxis," Mr Watkins said.

The Toyota hybrid taxi cost about $12,000 to $15000 more than a standard taxi, he said.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
Most other states don't have as many old buses in need of replacement as Sydney does (with still 500 Mercedes O305's in service - Adelaide has the 2nd most of them, with 90 in service) so I doubt they'll go ordering mass fleets of Euro 5 buses.

IIRC Invicta in Melbourne's new Scanias are Euro 5 compliant, though.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Perth is already way ahead with the gas busses and the new natural gas busses being implemented this year. We also have a few hydrogen busses on trial. We are waaay ahead :)

Way ahead? Sydney has some gas powered buses also.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Most other states don't have as many old buses in need of replacement as Sydney does (with still 500 Mercedes O305's in service - Adelaide has the 2nd most of them, with 90 in service) so I doubt they'll go ordering mass fleets of Euro 5 buses.
That's disingenuous. The NSW STA fleet is the largest in the country and had close to 2000 Mercedes O305s in the fleet. Every vehicle delivered between 1976 and 1987 was an O305. Other large bus fleets merely have equally old vehicles from various manufacturers. The Sydney Buses fleet age profile is not substantially different from any other.

But I don't understand the point of this government media event. The tender for 500+ vehicles (split 50/50 between diesel Volvos and CNG Mercedes) was awarded last year. 35 vehicles have already been delivered. An identical event was held when the first of them were delivered.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Perth is already way ahead with the gas busses and the new natural gas busses being implemented this year. We also have a few hydrogen busses on trial. We are waaay ahead :)
Adelaide already has those aswell.

The Adelaide City Council want to introduce solar powered buses for the City - North Adelaide route. Also the State Government is going to spend $120m over the next 5 years on 160 new buses (mostly replacing buses for the O'Barn service and inner city routes).

With a huge chance most of them will be gas or diesel-powered buses. So really your not waaay ahead :)

·
spider inside my dreams
2,639 Posts
But I don't understand the point of this government media event. The tender for 500+ vehicles (split 50/50 between diesel Volvos and CNG Mercedes) was awarded last year. 35 vehicles have already been delivered. An identical event was held when the first of them were delivered.
I thought re-announcing everything was this government's idea of policy...

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
Adelaide already has those aswell.

The Adelaide City Council want to introduce solar powered buses for the City - North Adelaide route. Also the State Government is going to spend $120m over the next 5 years on 160 new buses (mostly replacing buses for the O'Barn service and inner city routes).

With a huge chance most of them will be gas or diesel-powered buses. So really your not waaay ahead :)
If they can find new buses, that is. The Mercedes O305G artics were specially designed for use on the O-Bahn, and Mecedes Benz is the only company that specifically makes O-Bahn buses. Other types of artics, mostly Scanias have been trialled on the O-Bahn and all have failed, and the SA Government refuses to buy Mercedes again. So it might take a while until a replacement is found ;)

Take a ride on one of the new Scania buses on the O-Bahn - they shake like hell. Wouldn't like the good ol' Mercs replaced by them entirely.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
@a.j.wilko
1,093 Posts
Any alternative is good! Isn't Perth running a fleet on Hydrogen fuel cell?

·
Perthite
8,046 Posts
yeah a small one. They are just trials though :) They are going alright i think, haven;t heard anything. Hopefully we will get a full fleet when the technology is perfected. Natural Gas Busses are fine for now :)

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
I prefer having the buses run on natural gas. It would cut the fuel bill too :)
By the time you spend millions of $$$$ building special CNG refelling stations and buying special buses, I doubt there'd be any saving ;)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If they can find new buses, that is. The Mercedes O305G artics were specially designed for use on the O-Bahn, and Mecedes Benz is the only company that specifically makes O-Bahn buses. Other types of artics, mostly Scanias have been trialled on the O-Bahn and all have failed, and the SA Government refuses to buy Mercedes again. So it might take a while until a replacement is found ;)

Take a ride on one of the new Scania buses on the O-Bahn - they shake like hell. Wouldn't like the good ol' Mercs replaced by them entirely.
Maybe this could be a good excuse to rip it all up and make it a heavy rail line and extend it to Golden Grove with a subway connecting up to the Adelaide Railway Station (via Adel Uni). :)

Though thats pretty interesting about the O'Barn Buses.

:cheers:

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
It's fine to say electric vehicles are hugley less polluting than petrol vehicles, but often it's just a matter of shifting the burning of fossil fuels. Australia needs clean nuclear energy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts