Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Tower Hamlets have recently approved a big (in terms of land at least) new residential development on the site of the former Blessed St John Roche Catholic secondary School on Upper North Street, Poplar. The school was built as one of the centrepieces of the 'Life' section of the festival of Britain in 1951 serving the Lansbury Estate and wider community and is included in the Lansbury Conservation area.

The site lies slightly to the north of East India Dock Road less than a mile from Canary Wharf and faces onto Bartlett Park, the largest park in the area. There are 6 blocks planned of 3,5,6,7,9 and 16 storeys containing 534 units. There will also be integrated community spaces and retail units. The development will have to incorporate the protected public gardens of the former St Mary's church which was destroyed by bomb damage in WWII.

Demolition work has already been carried out on site by the main contractor Bellway Homes, construction is likely to start in the very near future.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Demolition is coming on apace, the site is now almost completely cleared with just one building left, I believe this is to remain as the site office whilst the first phase construction takes place. Here's a pic from a while back of the demolition of the old school assembly hall gymnasium. There are some great pictures of the abandoned school buildings on the 28dayslater forum here...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New hoardings have gone in, site office has been plastered in banners and other such bellway advertising and it looks like piling has started at the East India Dock Road end of the site. I'll try and get some pictures together tomorrow morning if anyone is interested.

I appreciate this is probably of limited interest but there's no decent source for info on this development or even an east london/docklands general thread so thought it best to mark its progress somewhere at least.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Site has been completely cleared, enabling works have been finished and the demolition site at Cottal street has been handed over to Tower Hamlets. Large concrete storage tanks have appeared onsite and piling rigs have made a start on the foundations for the taller blocks. I'll add some photos when I next get a chance.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of progress on this build in the last week or so. Two of the low rise blocks are already up to first floor level and the last rubble pile has been cleared. The convoy of trucks taking it away for 2 days solid was pretty impressive... They are also having to work around several protected trees which I expect is causing them some complications. The accompanying works to improve the parkland have not been submitted yet but there is a local consultation planned in April which should precede an application. These pics are from late last year but I just found them on a memory card. I'll post more recent pictures at the weekend.

New Festival Quarter Works by Docklandsboy, on Flickr

New Festival Quarter Works by Docklandsboy, on Flickr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts