SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Silent
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the times paper today, i could not find anything on the web site.

Heathrow on sea set for takeoff.

A report by a world class civil engineer suggests that building a new airport in the Thames estuary is feasible.

·
DAMNED
1,922 Posts
Why is it stupid? Japan has 5 offshore airports.

Chubu Centrair International, near Nagoya

Kansai International, near Osaka

Nagasaki

Kobe

Kitakyushu

A 6th in Tokyo reclaimed. Tokyo Haneda Airport

China too. Hong Kong.

Macau

Why is it madness? It would probably cost less than the Heathrow 3rd, considering the legal battles and land costs.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
its a superb idea, you can use silly avatars to get your point across all you want, but the fact is cities in emerging economies that will eventually challenge the likes of London and New York plan for the future - check out the likes of Shanghai airport - when I went it was massive, very quiet and had a huge motorway from the city to the airport that again was very quiet - all designed for the future, not playing catch up like we do all the time. Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore - all great airports, infrastructure projects that are designed to enhance and tell the business world that they are serious about the future.

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
I don't think anybody ever seriously doubted that it was physically possible to build an airport in the Thames Estuary, so why an engineering consultancy saying it is possible is worthy of a news article is a bit strange. The issues are, and always have been the amount it would cost to build the airport + the additional infrastructure and the problem of potential birdstrikes, neither of which that article addressed in any worthwhile way.

If there is any apetite for mass public spending on huge transport infrastructure projects in this country post-crossrail, then I suspect a new High Speed Railway Link to Birmingham and beyond is what will occupy most of Whitehall's time.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It's the only way a four runway, or even three for that matter, airport will ever be built near London. Does the airline industry want it for £40bn is the question. I can't see any public money going anywhere near it and flocks of birds are still a highly significant unanswered problem.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
What an environmental catastrophe this airport would be. :bash:

I think it would also be "feasible" to cut down every tree on earth and exterminate most animal life as well. That doesn't mean we SHOULD.

Build High Speed 2. That will reduce traffic into Heathrow. So would expanding Birmingham's Airport.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Air transport should have no part in a green future - it's fat cat's game for the Tory bourgeoisie and the likes of Fred the Shred

·
Registered
26,491 Posts
I'm not sure about this one but right now Heathrow really needs a third runway to keep all the air traffic. Two runways can't be enough to Europe's busiest airport.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Actually, nearly every major international study has shown that the environmental impacts of properly designed off shore airports (excluding the issue of the aircraft flights themselves which applies to all airports) is actually quite low.

Invariably, approval controls require that they are principally served by either new or expanded public mass transit systems and they tend to be built on areas of low environmental value, shallow and sandy sea beds. Off shore winds tend to make the air quality much better around sea based structures than land based ones and, of course, noise pollution is greatly reduced.

Tidal power could probably contribute a significant amount of energy and off shore wind farms a substantial part of the rerst (although such farms cannot be located too close to the airport itself as wind turnbines can interfere with landing and navigation systems).

The UK is a crowded place - an off shore airport actually makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
^^ there is a caveat though and that is does Heathrow get closed if this is built? If not it's just more bloody airport.

·
Registered
24,258 Posts
There was a thread on this proposal a few months back, and just then as it is now this airport is a ridiculously idiotic proposal and will be one of the greatest planning disasters of our time if it goes ahead.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts