SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Triad Business Journal reports that downtown Greensboro is planned to gain more housing and a music venue.

Local builder, John Kavanagh Co. is looking to build 28 town homes on a one acre tract on the north side of Bellemeade St between Cedar and Spring streets. This is one block west of First Horizon Stadium. These would be 2 and 3 story homes, many with rooftop terraces.

Downtown developer Milton Kern has brought together Pete Schroth of the Green Bean and Frank Auman III to open a live music venue at the corner of E. Lee St and S. Eugene St. This building now serves as an auto-repair shop. This venue could hold up to 500 patrons and would seek out local and national acts. The club is envisioned to be something similar to the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I guess we need to use the typical "great news for [insert the city here]" :lol:

As witnessed in the last few years, DT Greensboro has seen a shift in urban renewal, with downtown being the main focus. I am not sure it will be easy for people to imagine how DT Greensboro will be 5, 10, 15 years later, but if things go as planned, I can see GSO's core becoming a truly major urban center for our state to show off. As is, DT GSO possesses many great elements of a city, but it will be nice urban infills (i.e. Smothers Place) and other urban communities that will make the place shince even more. Seriously, the only thing that is left is 1-2 new signature towers... within downtown limits, of course :)

Keep us posted. I think it is a good time for a DT GSO construction update thread, including proposals ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. :) I think that all of NC's downtowns have a lot to look forward to. I wished GSO could attract another tower or two, or three or four, :lol: but you know how it goes. It seems that so far GSO's downtown has taken a strong enterntainment track with new restaurants, bars and clubs opening regularly. But office towers and residential high-rises, ummm.... we're still working on that. :)

A summary thread of dt projects would be a good idea. I'll see if I can put something together; but anyone please feel free to start it if they like.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I am not trying to kiss GSO forumers' rear, but I must say that Greensboro has a nicer collection of towers than Raleigh. One has to be there to understand what I mean. DT GSO may not have a huge collection of towers, but it has a nice selection, nevertheless. What DT GSO has to make sure is that along with all those great urban "villages"/communities also gets some nice mid-rises, between 6 and 14 stories... Some sort of creating a transitional area from the core to the outskirts of downtown.

While office towers may be difficult to build at this point in time, residential towers should be more than expected. After all, Elm Street offers so much and I can't see why a developer would not be excited about building a residential high-rise. A lot will depend on the fate of former Wachovia Bldg; its successful conversion to a residential/mixed-use tower will make such investments more than attractive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well. At this rate, I think we're far more likely to see some residential towers before we get new commercial ones. The vacancy rate is high, but it's being inflated by the old Wachovia building.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. Residential seems more likely now than anything else. We are unlikely to see a large office tower unless something huge happens. Getting the old Wachovia tower filled up again could help to open things up. That would take a lot of unoccupied space off the market.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
It is always critical to fill the existing space before attempting to build more, which is why we feel that residential developments will increase relatively faster than commercial for the next 5-10 years. The old Wachovia Bldg can be a major success story - we all wish that - and can attract more developments to the core. It is tough to lure investments into the core when the perception that suburban locations are easier to do business in dominates in the developers' world. Cities like Greensboro and Raleigh cannot easily convince the "big guys" about the importance of their downtowns, therefore we need the smaller projects before luring more investments. Of course, it always scares me that prime land may be used for way too small projects - I would hate to see 3-story condo buildings where mid-rises, or even high-rises, could easily be built. Elm Street is a place where nothing shorter than 15 stories should be allowed, with the exception of the edges, where some sort of transition is necessary.

I am very optimistic about DT GSO and I can't wait to see some of the proposals materialize. GSO has not received the publicity it deserves, but the upcoming projects should help this city show off its progressive side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts