SkyscraperCity Forum banner
381 - 400 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
why is it any different from seeing say, a catholic church in the middle of a car park?

i think people outside India aren't familiar with hindu temples as living buildings. the notion is some archaeological site or ruins occupied by tourists.
You are completely right..my idea of these types of buildings is completely dominated by images of ruins.
Anyway, I wasnt criticising, they are beautiful, and superbly detailed, craft like this is so so rare in the 21st C. It is just strange to see such detailed buildings today is all,I would say the same about a highly ornamented catholic church built today, and about the tarmac I think it was a bad choice, it gives the church a kind of fake look. Stone paving and some greenery would make it looks so beautiful

·
Banned
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 · (Edited)
I understand that you're not criticizing, and feel free to express your opinions, there's no offense taken.

your 'fake look' point is interesting. for the people who built this temple, it's a living tradition. they are not trying to replicate some ancient building. it is built for modern purposes by modern people. the building is just the latest work in the evolution of the tradition.

now, one could consider it fake if they were built for purely ornamental or aesthetic purposes by people who didn't carry any of the corresponding attitudes and beliefs. that's certainly not the case though.

·
Banned
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
finally!

Construction begins of Welsh-designed Indian temple

Construction is now under way in India of a temple designed to an 800-year-old style by Cardiff architect Professor Adam Hardy.

The project has been almost eight years in designing and planning. The first carved soapstone block was laid this month by the Maharaja of Mysore at a ceremony in Ventakapura in the Indian state of Karnataka. The block stands on a platform of granite blocks, already erected, with the full construction of the temple expected to take around 12 years to complete.

It will span over a seven-acre site, with the main tower reaching 32m tall. It is intended as a new manifestation of the ancient Hoysala style that became prominent between the 11th and 14th centuries in south western parts of Karnataka. There are over 100 surviving Hoysala temples scattered across the region.

Once built, the temple is intended to revitalise regional cultural traditions, becoming a religious centre and providing a setting for music and dance performances, as well as hosting thousands of worshippers and tourists every year. The temple has been dedicated to Shree Venkateshvara, a form of Vishnu.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Vrindavan Chandrodaya Mandir ?

I don't see any pictures of the construction site of the Chandrodaya Mandir, the last that I find are from 2017 when construction begun, but i don't find any new pictures from 2019, is construction stopped due to lack of funds or something ?

·
Rise to follow the dark
2,950 Posts
I don't really want to put that temple in this thread though. This thread is mostly for traditional stone-carved temples rather than new innovative designs.
But it is a new temple. Why make separate threads for traditional and modern tech temples when purpose of current thread mentions no criteria.
It has its own thread, which is in dire need of updates.

·
Banned
11,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
But it is a new temple. Why make separate threads for traditional and modern tech temples when purpose of current thread mentions no criteria.
It has its own thread, which is in dire need of updates.
I should probably have the thread title changed, but my original intent in creating this thread was to showcase recently-built traditional stone temples. These tend to be few since the overwhelming number of new temples are not built using traditional techniques.

You could go ahead and create a separate thread for other kinds of temples. there are a lot more of those.

381 - 400 of 414 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.