SkyscraperCity banner

421 - 439 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
THANK YOU NEW ORLEANS!!!

Just got back last night from New Orleans. We've been to several road trips (DC, Minneapolis, Lambeau, LA Coliseum, StubHub). Finally, our first trip to New Orleans. Great town, great food, great people, but the star of the show was the Superdome. It beats all other venues we've visited. Such an impressive facility. Great environment to watch the game. My kids and I all agree that the New Orleans trip was the funnest so far. The stadium was the loudest stadium we've been a part of. Constant noise, not just for the 3rd down when the visiting team was on offense, but all downs.

I thought Levi's Stadium this season was loud, but the Superdome was at an entirely different level.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just got back last night from New Orleans. We've been to several road trips (DC, Minneapolis, Lambeau, LA Coliseum, StubHub). Finally, our first trip to New Orleans. Great town, great food, great people, but the star of the show was the Superdome. It beats all other venues we've visited. Such an impressive facility. Great environment to watch the game. My kids and I all agree that the New Orleans trip was the funnest so far. The stadium was the loudest stadium we've been a part of. Constant noise, not just for the 3rd down when the visiting team was on offense, but all downs.

I thought Levi's Stadium this season was loud, but the Superdome was at an entirely different level.
it is closed dome, older one, therefore smaller than modern venues, it must be louder as well.

but it is not that good as you write, due to its size upper tiers are hanging over lower ones, that involves significant viewing obstructions, not to the field itself but from rear rows in both lower and middle tier you can see the field only, hardly anything above, so it is a bit claustrophobic ;) seating space is tight as well, no cup holders etc... it is more than cool venue, but it is by far not the best one! but yes, it is legendary spot, new orleans is cool city, weather is fine and that's why it gets all those big events. we just had one last night!

I would keep it, for sake of good old times, but I am afraid it won't stand too long

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
it is closed dome, older one, therefore smaller than modern venues, it must be louder as well.
I would keep it, for sake of good old times, but I am afraid it won't stand too long
Just in case you missed the news back in August -
$450 million Superdome upgrade plan will keep Saints in city for 30 years, governor says

Part of the new deal calls for $450 million in upgrades and renovations to the dome. The Saints have agreed to fund a third of the project costs, up to $150 million.

Full article - https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nfl/saints/450-million-superdome-upgrade-plan-will-keep-saints-in-city-for-30-years-governor-says/289-5ce96780-250a-4bd7-886e-3d2580940b08

The Superdome ain't going anywhere and is an iconic part of the fabric that makes up New Orleans!

·
Registered
484 Posts
This would be a a really nice looking stadium if they could get a lot more natural lighting in it. I hope the renovations plans have something to do with bringing more natural light possibly from the roof.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just in case you missed the news back in August -
$450 million Superdome upgrade plan will keep Saints in city for 30 years, governor says

Part of the new deal calls for $450 million in upgrades and renovations to the dome. The Saints have agreed to fund a third of the project costs, up to $150 million.

Full article - https://www.wwltv.com/article/sports/nfl/saints/450-million-superdome-upgrade-plan-will-keep-saints-in-city-for-30-years-governor-says/289-5ce96780-250a-4bd7-886e-3d2580940b08

The Superdome ain't going anywhere and is an iconic part of the fabric that makes up New Orleans!
I was referring to its size and age, and in the first place to that guys comment about it being best NFL stadium he visited. I was there last year for the rams game (regular season shootout, not the famous playoff non-call thing) and I didn‘t really like much what I saw! I am also pretty sure major part of those renovations would go into sky boxes and all that big money corporate stuff, and not into improving general viewing experience that is definitely sub par in modern NFL world, but somehow it fits perfectly into the picture of new orleans and it definitely should stay! hope that deal gets done!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was referring to its size and age, and in the first place to that guys comment about it being best NFL stadium he visited. I was there last year for the rams game (regular season shootout, not the famous playoff non-call thing) and I didn‘t really like much what I saw! I am also pretty sure major part of those renovations would go into sky boxes and all that big money corporate stuff, and not into improving general viewing experience that is definitely sub par in modern NFL world, but somehow it fits perfectly into the picture of new orleans and it definitely should stay! hope that deal gets done!
I was sitting in the lower level, 10 rows back, so I didn't get a chance to experience sitting in the higher sections.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
I was sitting in the lower level, 10 rows back, so I didn't get a chance to experience sitting in the higher sections.
Thanks for that photo. I now can see how the angle of the rake is compared to before it was redone. To be fair they did say that by adding rows it would also result in a shallower angle. My question to you is how was your view of the playing field from those seats?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for that photo. I now can see how the angle of the rake is compared to before it was redone. To be fair they did say that by adding rows it would also result in a shallower angle. My question to you is how was your view of the playing field from those seats?
It was great. If I could figure out how to post pictures, I'll include my views from the games at Lambeau, Minneapolis, Levi Stadium, LA Coliseum, Stubhub, Fed Ex.. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts

two minutes left.

my season tickets at Levi's

49ers v Rams earlier this season at the Coliseum

Clemson v Alabama 2019 College Football Championship

49ers v Rams last season at the Coliseum

49ers v Packers last season at Lambeau

49ers v Chargers last season at Stubhub

49ers v Vikings last season at US Bank Stadium

Can't find my FedEx pictures..

BTW, thanks to Tered for helping me to post pictures

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Some sources are reporting that the new 17-game NFL schedule (to be implemented in 2021 at the earliest) could hurt the Superdome's chances of hosting future Super Bowls, because they could conflict with New Orleans's Mardi Gras celebrations. The 2024 SB could be pushed back a week to February 11, but Mardi Gras for that year is on February 13, and New Orleans just doesn't want that. Because of this, a different city may have to be found for the 2024 Super Bowl. There's a chance of New Orleans getting the "Big Game" in 2025; Mardi Gras in 2025 won't be until March 4.

What do you think? Will this season extension force the Superdome to be taken out of the Super Bowl rotation because the Big Game conflicting with Mardi Gras?

·
9,872 Posts
Huh. Hadn't thought about that. As it is the rotation cycle is already limiting how frequently a city will host so as a regular site I can't see any city hosting more than once every 6-8 years, maybe more as new venues become Super Bowl worthy. I'm guessing the folks in NOLA can identify their preferred years and ask the NFL for one of those.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Huh. Hadn't thought about that. As it is the rotation cycle is already limiting how frequently a city will host so as a regular site I can't see any city hosting more than once every 6-8 years, maybe more as new venues become Super Bowl worthy. I'm guessing the folks in NOLA can identify their preferred years and ask the NFL for one of those.
That seems like the obvious route to go assuming NO stays in the eligible group. There have to be years in which they will not conflict.

Btw, I assume you mean "longer" where you say "more" for the second time up above.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
421 - 439 of 439 Posts