Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is nothing wrong with it, but there is nothing special about it in the least bit. It simply serves its purpose.

Because its my hometown arena, i love this place. And there isn't a bad seat in the house.
I agree. While there's nothing great about it there's nothing bad/ugly either.

It's simply another nice modern NBA arena. :)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Why would the Hornets move? Or is this just wishful thinking?
They don't draw well, they don't get much support from businesses and the NBA now owns them after George Shinn couldn't find a local buyer for them. There's very little going well with the team right now. If the NBA can't find a local owner before long they'll be happy to sell them to the highest bidder, even if that means the team moves.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
They don't draw well, they don't get much support from businesses and the NBA now owns them after George Shinn couldn't find a local buyer for them. There's very little going well with the team right now. If the NBA can't find a local owner before long they'll be happy to sell them to the highest bidder, even if that means the team moves.
Sorry; I had completely missed the league buying Shinn out. There seems to be a lot of ownership shuffling lately.

What was really bizarre was finding out the league had outbid Larry Ellison, but I guess they were afraid he would move the team into the Shark Tank. And I'm not sure that northern California can handle three teams. Let me rephrase that. I'm sure that northern California cannot handle three teams. The two already there are stretching things.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Sorry; I had completely missed the league buying Shinn out. There seems to be a lot of ownership shuffling lately.

What was really bizarre was finding out the league had outbid Larry Ellison, but I guess they were afraid he would move the team into the Shark Tank. And I'm not sure that northern California can handle three teams. Let me rephrase that. I'm sure that northern California cannot handle three teams. The two already there are stretching things.
I wish Seattle could get an arena done so the Hornets could move there. That's not happening though. I think Chicago could easily support two teams and that should be explored and I think Vancouver would do well if they got competent ownership, which they didn't have last time. A stronger Canadian dollar helps too.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
They should move the team to the new arena in México city. I´m sure the team will be a HUGE hit.
No chance. The Mexican peso isn't strong enough and certainly not stable enough for Mexico to have a team competing in a league that uses the dollar like the NBA. The weakness of the Canadian dollar is a big reason the Canadian NBA and NHL teams had problems in the 90's and the Canadian dollar is much stronger and stable than the peso.

·
One Grumpy S.O.B.
International Man of Leisure
241 Posts
the facade is pretty horrid.
New Orleans Arena is a perfect example of the strategy by many cities to build an arena on the off chance that another team elsewhere can use that building as a threat to get a new building for themselves, or wind up moving elsewhere to greener pastures. The arena was designed to be cheaply designed, cheap to construct, and easily adjustable in the event that a team does take up residence. One such example: the interior walls along the perimeter of the building are made up primarily of metal decking materials. Its a functional building, but no one is going to confuse it with Amway Center in Orlando.

The Hornets have never drawn particularly well because New Orleans has always been too small a market to support multiple teams. They can get away with having the Saints because it's basically 10-11 Sundays a year and can draw regionally as a result. 41-45 home games, mostly on week nights, is quite another. The Hornets finances were never great to begin with because of this and a lack of major corporate support and were obviously done in further by a plague or regional catastrophes over the last half decade. As long as they continue to have to be subsidized by the NBA and the State of Louisiana just to remain operational, there won't really be any more changes to the building in the future.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Why would the Hornets move? Or is this just wishful thinking?
Could the Hornets become the new Seattle SuperSonics? :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts