SkyscraperCity banner

How Do You Rate these Pictures of Toledo, Ohio?

• Excellent--I never knew Toledo had good sceneries of the skyline and I'm hooked.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Good--I'm impressed w/ Toledo's skyline and thought a usual rust-belt city would be depressing.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Average--At crossroads with being impressed or not impressed.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Eh--Next Please!"

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Horrible--"Bring on the Bulldozer!"

Votes: 4 11.1%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pictures & Developments of Toledo, Ohio

These pictures was taken on Memorial Day 2005--Toledo was founded in 1837 from the merge of two cities of Port Lawrence and Vistula. Today Toledo has 310,000 residents with over 600,000 in the MSA. It's known as Glass Capital of the World, Jeep town, and the Home of the World Famous Mud Hens minor baseball team.

:nocrook:

Sorry about the delay folks!

View from the International Park which is on the east bank of the Maumee River:

View of the skyline from the Sports Arena parking lot:

View from the Martin Luther King Bridge:

Superior Street Skyline:

Riverview Towers & Edison Plaza:

Commodore Perry (Right) & Hotel Secor (left) view from Madison Street:

Summit Place which houses world headquarter of HRC Manor:

Skyline from the south which is at the Children's Park next to the Union Station:

Skyline from 16th & Adams Street with the old renovated Hotel Hillcrest Building:

Toledo Museum of Art:

Professional Art Deco Building across the street from Museum of Art:

Park Lane Hotel from Monroe Street & Collingwood Blvd. near the Museum of Art:

The Plaza across from the Museum of Art:

Museum Place across from the Museum of Art:

Museum Place #2 across from the Museum of Art:

Old West End neighborhood sign which is located north of Museum of Art & west of downtown:

Distinct look at the Old West End neighborhood:

Victorian home in Old West End neighborhood:

Another mini-mansion in Old West End neighborhood:

Urban village in Old West End with bank, cafe, dry-cleaners, & etc:

Holy Rosary Cathedral in Old West End:

Collingwood Arts Center in Old West End:

University of Toledo Clock Tower from the north view on Bancroft Street:

University of Toledo Field House which is an old arena from the early 1900s for the campus & its currently under renovation to be used again:

Westgate skyline of offices in the western area of Toledo which is located north of University of Toledo main campus--many national corporate offices is located here:

I hope these pictures are helpful to you to know what Toledo looks like. If you have questions please drop a line or like to see more pictures--let me know!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Housing Developments

There has been three major housing developments happening in downtown Toledo. 1) Bartley Lofts which is an old 7-floor warehouse converting to living spaces which is near the Mud Hens stadium (link: http:www.bartleylofts.com/) 2) Water Street Steam Plant is undergoing a $20 million conversion to living space which is being developed by NBA star player Jimmy Jackson who is from Toledo and 3) Riverwest Townhouses (link: http://www.riverwesttownhomes.com/) is a 4 floor townhouses with rooftop patio with a feel of loft-style living and it's near the Erie Street Market. Right now there is about two vacant warehouses in the downtown area that is under plans to renovate and convert into living spaces.

:bleh:

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
i love those old houses. :)
Pictures are great!
you did a great job. :)
Toledo reminds me of columbia, sc a little bit.
nice skyline. needs a few more tall buildings between the seagate tower and the rest of the downtown buildings to make it more dense a have a better filled-out look. :)
but all and all, pretty nice. :)

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Minimal Response

Gee..only one person besides myself replied and nearly 120 views as of today. No feedback..no comments...nothing? I'm assuming ya'll know everything about Toledo since I've been reading other threads in regards to wanting to know more about Toledo. *sighs*

Perhaps when you view this--type a few letters so I feel better. Now after saying that--I feel so dirty like a beggar on a street corner asking for a few nickels.

:wtf:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Looks like the citizens are doing a good job of preserving their architectural inheritance, though riverfront seems to have serious landscaping issues.
I remember seeing Toledo many years ago from the Lake Shore Limited. Is that enormous warehouse, (or grain elevator?) still standing? Don't be embarrassed about showing that part of your city's legacy. Good job.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Thanks for the pics, they were great.
Like Cleveland, many old buildings with interesting archetecture.
I did notice one thing missing thou.............people.
I don't think I saw one person. The city looks like it has been completly abandoned, horrible.
Beautiful buildings are a real asset but it is the people and vibrancy that make a city liveable and Teledo has neither.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Toledo is da bomb diggity. I have fond memories of it, when my family used to drive down to visit my aunt...Always love it. 'Specially since it's close.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Toledo Story #22

looksee said:
Looks like the citizens are doing a good job of preserving their architectural inheritance, though riverfront seems to have serious landscaping issues.
I remember seeing Toledo many years ago from the Lake Shore Limited. Is that enormous wharehouse, (or grain elevator?) still standing? Don't be embarrassed about showing that part of your city's legacy. Good job.
The landscaping on the riverfront is undergoing some major rebuilding--the old Water Street Steam Plant is going to be converted into Loft condominiums with a $20 million investment and next to it they will build a Riverfront Amphitheatre with pavilion style roofing (think Denver Int'l Airport terminal) along with 5000 seating which will be a $6 million investment.

All the grain elevators and warehouses are still there. There's new condominiums being built along the river bank next to the grain elevators which is called Starboard Condominiums. It's been successful that they sold 12 units and now proceeding to Phase II with the project. I plan on taking pictures of them soon and then post it. Today some of the warehouses are being bought to be converted into loft homes and workplaces which is near the Union Station. About 7-8 years ago they renovated the station and kept the entire art deco facade and interior look which looks beautiful. Amtrak still goes through the station about six times daily. From there where we can go to either Chicago, Cleveland or Washington DC. Another plus is about the Amtrak is that Toledo is the busiest Amtrak station in the state in terms of the highest ridership.

:rock:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has Elvis left the building?

ssiguy2 said:
Thanks for the pics, they were great.
Like Cleveland, many old buildings with interesting archetecture.
I did notice one thing missing thou.............people.
I don't think I saw one person. The city looks like it has been completly abandoned, horrible.
Beautiful buildings are a real asset but it is the people and vibrancy that make a city liveable and Teledo has neither.
Remember I took the pictures on Memorial morning around 8am which everyone is in bed I'm sure. But except for the folks who were fishing in one of the pictures. If I were to take pictures during normal time my boss would fire me for not being at work. LOL! I'll take some pictures since summer is here where more activities are taking place.

:wink2:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Come on doooooown!

Detroit_Mahn said:
Toledo is da bomb diggity. I have fond memories of it, when my family used to drive down to visit my aunt...Always love it. 'Specially since it's close.
If you love baseball--come down to a Mud Hens game in downtown. The game is $8 and food is wonderful (all foods served in the stadium are local popular foods e.g. Tony Packo's, Toft's Ice Cream, Marco's Pizza). Lots of entertainment especially the fireworks after the game and it has a wonderful atmosphere--btw...did I say Mud Hens team is having a good year? Wooohooo! I try to go as much as I can because its so much fun and there's a lot of restaurants and bars open around the stadium after the game to hang out. I think its so much better than going to a Major league game.

:wave:

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Alright...the pics are good, however the city is like other ordinary rust belt city, but with a suspension bridge.

You dont have any Lake Erie Lake front?

·
SS-man: Semen Shedder
1,765 Posts
Thanks for pics!

Very impressive residental architecture as well as great churches! The downtown core is allright but nothing too interesting although it has density for city of 300 000, but the buildings have not aged nicely. It is nice to hear that the waterfront development has a green light, that would really enhance the residential constructuon along the riverbanks. How is the urban sprawl issue handled?

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
I don't know why so many people talk shit on Toledo. I have been there a couple of times and toured the city and liked it. The skyline is cool too.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Water water it's everywhere!

Azn_chi_boi said:
Alright...the pics are good, however the city is like other ordinary rust belt city, but with a suspension bridge.

You dont have any Lake Erie Lake front?
Toledo sits on a bay which is called Maumee Bay as it takes you to Lake Erie. In the northeastern part of the city which is on the west bank of the Maumee River there is a neighborhood called Point Place which is a very lake-side feeling with a lot of small businesses, nice housing, condominiums, and it sits right next to the Michigan state line. There is a suburb to the east of us called Oregon that has housings and a state park on the lake front.

I guess historically before city was incorporated from many different small towns in 1837--there was a huge canal industry which shipped goods from the state of New York through here to the west. There's a lot of small rivers branching from Maumee River which is used for the canals. Some of the famous canal is Erie and Wabash Canals--so the development of cities overtime stayed at those locations. The lake front of Toledo is all used with shipbuilding industries, shipping coal, ore, steel, and grain with many European shippers, industries, and many yards of rails. Toledo has the 2nd busiest fresh waterport in the world which is why you wont see a downtown on the lake front.

Recreational boating is very popular which many people go out to the Lake Erie Islands, up & down the Maumee River, the famous Cedar Point Amusement Park, and communities like Port Clinton and Sandusky other areas. We have the NASCAR-style speed boats festivities on the river in downtown every summer, restaurants have boat dockings, and usually the river is very busy with boating along with the huge shipliners going through.

With the new development on the east bank of the river from downtown there is a project called Marina District which will be a 150 acre-residential, retail, recreational, and ferry boats terminal (which will go to Windsor and the Lake Erie Islands) development. This particular land was an old Acme Power Plant that was abandoned in the early 1980s and nothing but old industries along this parcel which is a huge brownfield. For the past few years--they've been cleaning up the land and re-locating businesses to bring in the new developments. I'll touch base more on this issue as this project rolls on.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts