Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
23,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys this is a prelim render of the building. Final renders will be out at launch. Even from this render the building does look like a good departure for the city from previous designs.

Name: "New Point Tower"
Use: Mixed Use (Retail and Commercial)
Floors: 30F
Height: ?

·
Umhlanga
793 Posts
Me likee. The base is crap, but the tower looks good. I'm guessing they can't bury the parking garage underground because of the water table?

Very nice tower though.

·
Explore
2,864 Posts
Awesome!! Thanks Mike

·
23,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the developers have told me that most of the changes in design will be to the base, so that is why i am not too worried about it. In this area you are allowed a MAXIMUM of 2 floors underground due to the water table. As this is a commercial office tower, they are going to need to provide 4 bays per 100m2. As this is a 25 000m2 tower, they will need to provide 1000 bays.

All in all i love the upper section of the tower (it looks very similar to Quaywest in design) and look forward to the changes to the bottom section. But it will be a great addition to the durban skyline

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Hey Guys this is a prelim render of the building. Final renders will be out at launch. Even from this render the building does look like a good departure for the city from previous designs.

Name: "New Point Tower"
Use: Mixed Use (Retail and Commercial)
Floors: 30F
Height: ?

Glad they are rethinking the base - a parking garage surely doesnt need to look like a box of matches. But man, this is sleek... LOVE IT. Point is already rocking, and it keeps getting better! Yippie!

·
Afritect
4,402 Posts
nice what are the chances of this 1 going up cause remember what happened to the san raphael

·
23,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice what are the chances of this 1 going up cause remember what happened to the san raphael
Firstly; Different developer.

Secondly: Commercial property is incredibly hot now. There is a servere lack of AAA grade space in the entire Durban area. This development has pre launch reservations of nearly 50% of the space.

So they are two completely different developments

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Firstly; Different developer.

Secondly: Commercial property is incredibly hot now. There is a servere lack of AAA grade space in the entire Durban area. This development has pre launch reservations of nearly 50% of the space.

So they are two completely different developments
At this stage commercial property would be great - it brings more umphf to the area. Otherwise it only becomes a little seasonal holiday spot. And like Dysan said, commercial is hot now.

·
Explore
2,864 Posts
Commercial property sure is in huge demand at the moment. The place next door to my dads business has just been sold for 10 times what it sold for 3 years ago! And that's without any renovations at all.

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Ooooooo my...Mike you are the messiah...

:banana: :banana: :banana: I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT :banana: :banana: :banana:

:dance:

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
Great looking tower. South African cities are finally taking a turn to good tower designs. away from the horrendous african-european-kookoland fusion architecture (like Michaelangelo in Joburg, or Cape Town's Century city.)

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Damn. That building is something.:cheers2:

I love it. Such a building would instantly redefine a skyline.:)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts