1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
26,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very interesting news indeed:

Crowe and LaPaglia may build stadium
By Philip Henderson
June 02, 2007 02:41pm

AUSTRALIAN Hollywood heavyweights Russell Crowe and Anthony LaPaglia are in talks about developing a purpose-built football stadium in Sydney.
The stadium would house both Crowe's South Sydney NRL team and Sydney FC, the A-League club in which LaPaglia is a director and shareholder.
"You're the first person I'm going to tell this, Russell and I have been talking to each other about the possibility of ... joining forces to achieve that goal,'' LaPaglia said today.
"He wants a stadium, I want a stadium and we think together there is a possibility we might be able to pull it off.
"We would combine forces to have a home field, and training facilities.
"It's been ongoing (the talks with Crowe) for about four months now, we're still trying (to work out) how to do it exactly, but there's a bunch of emails flying backwards and forth.

·
Professional amateur
1,062 Posts
Why, what's wrong with the SFS? That's a rectangle stadium, right near the city, with 40k seats. What more do they want? Just my opinion but I think it's unecessary.

On the other hand, such a new stadium would be more suited to Melbourne (where new one is being built... so maybe not so much now), Adelaide or Perth... which don't currently have a good, large capacity, rectangle stadium.

Stu

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
^^ souths don't use the SFS anymore, they use Telstra Stadium which is 80,000.

Plus, crowds for both teams rarely pull 40,000 so having a smaller, more intimate stadium i reckon can only be good for both teams

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
I think Sydney needs a new stadium, but I'm surprised that it is Souths and Sydney FC pushing for it. SFS is already perfect for them in location and size.

St G and Cronulla should be uniting for a new stadium they can share. Also Canterbury and Wests Tigers for a inner west stadium, as the Olympic stadium is too big for them to play club games at.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I walked into the lounge halfway through the CH10 news article. I swear I heard a figure of 25,000 mentioned.

This would be perfect for the Rabbits. Sydney FC may be looking to split games between here and the SFS? Maybe they are looking at it as a training/administration base?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I walked into the lounge halfway through the CH10 news article. I swear I heard a figure of 25,000 mentioned.

This would be perfect for the Rabbits. Sydney FC may be looking to split games between here and the SFS? Maybe they are looking at it as a training/administration base?
Sydney FC average a few thousand less than the Rabbitohs I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
215 Posts
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/stars-may-build-own-sydney-stadium/2007/06/02/1180205562630.html

Australian Hollywood heavyweights Russell Crowe and Anthony LaPaglia are in talks about developing a purpose-built football stadium in Sydney.

The stadium would house both Crowe's South Sydney NRL team and Sydney FC, the A-League club in which LaPaglia is a director and shareholder.

"You're the first person I'm going to tell this, Russell and I have been talking to each other about the possibility of ... joining forces to achieve that goal," LaPaglia said today.

"He wants a stadium, I want a stadium and we think together there is a possibility we might be able to pull it off.

"We would combine forces to have a home field, and training facilities.

"It's been ongoing (the talks with Crowe) for about four months now, we're still trying (to work out) how to do it exactly, but there's a bunch of emails flying backwards and forth.

"He's done a great job in turning (the Rabbitohs) around."

"I would say if we could get the right people in the room at the same time, it was something that could happen in two to three years.

"I think it should be about a 25,000-seater, intimate, close."

LaPaglia, who was in Sydney today to help announce American Express as an official sponsor of Sydney FC, said he had not yet officially raised the issue with the club.

"It's not something I've really discussed with the club yet, so it will come as a bit of a surprise to them as well," said the star of the television series Without A Trace.

"It's one possibility, but not a bad possibility.

"I want to be associated with people who are driven and passionate about the game.

"(Crowe) is as driven and as passionate about the Rabbitohs as I am about Sydney FC. And we both appreciate each other at that level."

Sydney FC currently play their home games at Aussie Stadium, but have no established training grounds or facilities in Sydney, primarily using a back field at Parramatta Stadium.

The Rabbitohs play the bulk of their home games at Telstra Stadium, with a few matches in Gosford. Redfern Oval is currently being redeveloped as their training facility.

"In order to establish a true culture of football, a kind of feeling that this club belongs to the city, we need that home," LaPaglia said.

"It does breed a different kind of mentality and culture, when you walk into your house and you're not renting."

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry to go off topic fellas, but I think I must've been in a time warp. Just seen footage of Swans v Bombers at the SCG and the Hill has miraculously disappeared for redevelopment. Trawled here & the web for renders but no joy. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Now, back to that rectangular thing. Never thought I'd say this but Mr Crowe and LaPaglia ARE good for something. Good on 'em, hope it becomes a reality.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are drawings on http://www.austadiums.com.au/ of what it will look like.

Essentially it is just a continuation of the Brewongle around to the O'Reilly.

Personally I would think it would have been the opportune time to extend the length of the field by 15 to 20 metres to make it closer to 'ideal' AFL length fields. Currently it is a little short, but not that much of an issue.

Also, the SCG trust should be trying to get the SCG up to around 60k cap. so the Swans would not need to play at Homebush at all in the future and end any discussion on moving any cricket matches.

On the New Zealander and American immigrant's proposal for a new rectangular standium in Sydney. Let's see the money from them. I bet they have no intention of using one cent of their own money for the concept. It won't happen, Sydney needs a lot of other things first. Like public transport.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
St G and Cronulla should be uniting for a new stadium they can share. Also Canterbury and Wests Tigers for a inner west stadium, as the Olympic stadium is too big for them to play club games at.
Souths wanted to redevelop Redfern Oval, but Sydney City Council said no :bash:. It's now going to be redeveloped into a community oval with training facilities for the Rabbitohs. The redevelopment would of easily satisified Mr Crowe and LaPaglia.

There isn't the space in southern Sydney to build a major stadium for St George and Cronulla, and supporters of both clubs wouldn't approve of it at all. There's Forshaw Rugby field and the athletics track at Sylvania Waters, but that wouldn't even be enough space, not to mention the poor road access. St George have also considered St George Soccer Stadium, but have refused.

The Bulldogs and Wests have Concord Oval which they could use. A redevelopment of the grounds might help. I have never been a fan of Telstra Stadium due to the size but also the teams aren't really based locally. It's gone the same way as the AFL in Melbourne with teams based at the MCG or Telstra Dome

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Didn't Canterbury Bulldogs scrapped the new stadium project because of financial mismanagement of the Oasis project? I think they use the showground stadium currently.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Cheers Bob. :eek:kay:

Fully agree with your comments. On the subject of money, I too doubt they'd ever dream of using their own. However, they do have the profile to get the ball rolling. Let's hope it doesn't prove to be the usual horse-shite that comes out of that buffoon's Kiwi-gob.

Can't quite believe this Bob, I'm agreeing with you for once.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Millions of dollars are being pumped into the redevelopment of Kogarah. No chance the Dragons would move from there for a shared ground with the sharks.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Redfern is emerging as the venue for the stadium. It might be located at the Australian Technology Park, and Clover Moore would be happy to support it as long as there is good public transport and that it conforms to planning guidelines.

The bunnies may get their dream of playing at Redfern

·
Registered
266 Posts
The SFS is built on the traditional home of the roosters, the old sports stadium. And the SCG trust charge far to much for use of the ground.
I beleive that LaPaglia, Crowe and Holmes a Court would be happy to put money into a privately owned stadium and a long term home for the clubs that they love.
A stadium with a retractable roof could be used as an addition to the exhibition and meeting space of the Convention and exhibition centre at the Australian Technology park. It would also put the fans nice and close to Redfern station unlike the sometimes long wet walk from Redfern oval.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Redfern is emerging as the venue for the stadium. It might be located at the Australian Technology Park, and Clover Moore would be happy to support it as long as there is good public transport and that it conforms to planning guidelines.

The bunnies may get their dream of playing at Redfern
What are you basing this on?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts