SkyscraperCity Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Bird
36,212 Posts
I went by this on the bus yesterday and was so busy boring my girlfriend stupid regaling my girlfriend about the fascinating and tragic story of Eagle House that I only just noticed that this was really in full swing.

Frankly I'm surprised that it's got so little attention here, but perhaps - as with me - it's kind of crept up unassumingly on everyone.

Not unpleasantly so.

· Now in SE10
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Old Street / Shoreditch is going to be awash with new hotels soon!

There's this one, the Art'otel on the site of The Foundry, the one in the old Magistrate's Court opposite the Town Hall, and the angular one next to Eagle House. Any I've missed?

It's about time something was done to improve the embarrassment that is Old Street station :s

· Now in SE10
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for the new pictures, Core Rising.

I walk past this development every day, and since the scaffolding came down from the hotel, it has become very reminiscent of a 1930s power station such as Bankside or Battersea. I think Core Rising's photos capture that.

· Now in SE10
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thought it might be interesting to remind ourselves of what this development has replaced.

First of all, there was this beauty...

And beside it was this handsome block:

I can't believe English Heritage didn't get involved to protect these superb examples of postwar architecture from demolition!

;)

· Registered
19,725 Posts
I like the form of this building from the main road and side streets, the quality of brick, the break up of the massing and the scale difference with the corner pub. I am not so convinced with the important view looking north from south of the roundabout, it seems a tad dull when the quality of brick and its industrial feel is lost somewhat. This will sit behind a large inter-war resi block so the view wont change. The up and coming diamond shaped hotel might help alleviate this negative point in future.

· Now in SE10
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
A selection of new photos, taken today.

Whilst I was taking the photos, one of the builders came up to me and started chatting about the development. He was very proud of his team's work on the site, and justifiably so. I really like the way that it's turning out; I particularly like how it fits so well with the industrial heritage of the area, and how it has created new blocks and opened up long-forgotten side streets. I've tried to get a sense of that with some of these photos.

The hotel is now open, with the entrance via the new public space to the side of the building. The office space (the section of the building with the white cladding) looks very near to completion too. I think that when the entire complex is open, with retail and students in place, it will become quite a buzzy little area.

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Very nice, hope the old pub gets some love

· Now in SE10
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Very nice, hope the old pub gets some love
A planning application was submitted on 11th November:

'Refurbishment of Public House to provide flexible A1 (sandwich shop), A3 (Restaurant) or A4 (public house) use, including extension of uses into ground level of 10 East Road (that part facing Brunswick Place) with provision of 3 x one bed residential units to upper floors.'

I hope that it remains a pub.

Interestingly, another application was submitted this week, to redevelop the site directly behind the hotel. You can see part of the building cluster that they propose to demolish in the 7th photo in my post above.

This application is 'to provide a new education facility comprising 5,528 sqm teaching accommodation and associated facilities (D1 Class use); 541 student rooms; 376 sqm of flexible retail/restaurant use'. They're proposing a height of up to 11 storeys in part, which would sit nicely with the hotel and further enhance the density of the area.

· Registered
60 Posts
Appropriate.

I do like this development, it seems consistent with the current vibe and culture of the area, especially if the pub remains and is restored rather than redeveloped; a kind of meat packing district, New York/industrial feel to it. However... I'm not so sure about the colour of the bricks used and the windows on one of the shots look like council estate front doors :lol:

· Now in SE10
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
More of this development has now been revealed. I took these pictures earlier today on my phone.

I'm not sure about the extruding window units, but I quite like the overall effect. It creates the illusion of being a cluster of buildings.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.