1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Great news for Cardiff. Is it gonna be purely residential then? (Apart from the 30,000 sqft retail). Look forward to seeing some renders. :)

For anyone wo can't be bothered to follow the link:

Capital’s answer to New York

A STRIKING New York-style skyline will be created along the waterfront in Cardiff with a development of Wales’ tallest homes.

Bay Pointe Limited plans 2,400 apartments – 1,400 more than originally mooted – in 10 high-rise blocks up to 41 storeys high.

It will cost an estimated £500m to develop and although prices are not being released yet, the best penthouse apartments look certain to have a £1m-plus price tag.

It will be one of Cardiff’s biggest single developments after the £675m St David’s 2 retail scheme.

Bay Pointe Ltd, a joint development between Allied Developments (Europe) Limited and City Lofts Group, yesterday submitted detailed plans for its world-class scheme on the peninsular at Cardiff’s International Sports Village.

It has been designed by architects Atkins, who were responsible for the spectacular sail-shaped Burj al Arab in Dubai, the world’s first seven-star hotel.

Bay Pointe features three Conran-designed landmark towers with the tallest rising to 41 storeys. An estimated 1,000 construction jobs will be provided as a result of the scheme. The development will feature a mix of luxury apartments, supported by 30,500sq ft of on-site amenities and public park areas.

Chris Hamilton, managing director of Bay Pointe Limited, said: “Bay Pointe is another step towards the delivery of the greater vision for Cardiff Bay as well as providing a stunning landmark and an opportunity to live in a world-class development which would not look out of place in Manhattan or London’s Docklands.

“Bay Pointe enables the general public in Cardiff to take advantage of the 14km of waterfront that has been created by the construction of the barrage.

“Very soon the residents of Cardiff and Penarth will be able to walk, cycle and play around the entire 530 acres of water captured in this man-made bay.”

More than 65 per cent of the site is for open and public space, with the creation of a 1.7-acre park and a 500-metre-long waterside footpath and cycleway.

The development plans are being phased so the project is completed between 2014 and 2016 subject to planning and the housing market.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Good news! But what I say is... aim higher! :happy:

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything too tall will look out of place in Cardiff i think untill a few shorter (41 storeys inst too short for a city of 300,000) buildings have been built.

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only have renders of the older shorter design, plus there are 10 towers now aparently. Here is the old designs, i hope they arnt too different as i like these

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well posted by another user of a local paper, here is an artist impresion

I think its monolithic and hideous, i much preffer the shorter and more gracefull origionals. Goodbye style, hello yet more UK boxes (i have no idea what the stadium is, perhaps the multi-purpose sports arena)

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I'm not too sure on it now. It's rather boring and boxy. The render makes it look dull and grey - very 60s.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Thanks Cardiff.. by the way, I don't think that grouping of blocks is hidious at all.. actually very urban, very metropolitan/big city.... those sailboat things on the other hand are provincial, themed cak!

Looks good for the ongoing growth of cardiff..... just remember though... North wales is ours!

:)

·
Registered
17,071 Posts
I agree with Tony, the blocky mass looks capital city, the spaced out 'designer' blocks look mid size town.

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do agree it looks alot more urban, but the towers arnt very distinctive and wont give a recognisable skyline that can be marketed. It makes the area look quite heavy rather than light and gracefull IMO

Here is another render of the full development

Here are the developments already under construction in the area, as you can see the new development has a similar style, so i guess there is some continuity

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
they're fine... save the iconic stuff for the real talls that will undoubtedly be proposed in the next decade... this is backdrop.. lets hope it is quality build?

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
'New York/Manhatten-style skyline...'

Am I the only one fed up of hearing that term from the press every time a new highrise development is announced?

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,516 Posts
I agree, these local journo types don't seem to know of any other hi-rise cities.

Or maybe its just cos NYC is the most famous and they think the ignorant masses won't know of any others.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
you must remember that most jurno's aren't urban or city nuts, like we all are.. what else would they use to help paint an impressive picure of the proposals for the local readers of the paper... who will also mainly not be architecture freaks and also know nothing about obscure high-rise cities in China if they used them instead of NYC? If the jurno used Shenzen 99.999% of those reading the article would thing 'where the **** is that and what does it look like?'... result, one meaningless headline for most people... NYC gives ordinary folk something good to picture in their minds eye.. hey.. Cardiff-NYC great!

You must all think this type of stuff through.. afterall, they could have written '60s' style tower blocks proposals being backed by council'... as an alternative picture to paint of a high-rise complex development of many buildings.... now what response would that elicit amongst the local readership?

Anyway, NYC is, conceptually, a city that everyone should be easy with aspiring to be/look like!

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
I'd give my left nut to have been able to experience 1940's New York. Swoon...:drool:

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
yeh, that's my favourite period too.. pre the internationalist movement, though I am not saying I do not like that period of architecture.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts