SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some Sketch Up models of skyscraper ideas I had for this city about 3 years ago.

Just for kicks, I decided to remodel a few of them... you know because some ideas don't stay the same for ever.

Block TU
Height: (old) 991ft. / (new) 900ft.
Floors: 61
Site: E. 9th/Calhoun/E. 8th/Jones
Type: Mixed-use
Groundfloor: Retail

I'm starting with the Block TU because I wanted to change this one the most.

Height Comparison

Old design
- Garage: about 20 floors, more walls
- Ground floor: Retail facing Jones and Calhoun, car entrances facing 8th and 9th.
- Design: Split level, residences on bottom, offices on top. "Shade design" in wings.Multi-symmetrical.
- Orientation: nothing specific

New design
- Garage: 15 floors, more open/windows
- Ground floor: Car entrances facing Jones and Calhoun, retail facing 8th and 9th.
- Design: Even, residences in curved shape, offices are rectangular. "Shade design" for residences only. Only one line of symmetry.
- Orientation: Residences facing Sundance Square, rest of downtown. Offices facing the east.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Panther City Tower
Height: (old) 971/ (new) 1,096 ft.
Floors: (old) 56 / (New) 58
Site: Current AT&T Building
Type: Office
Groundfloor: Retail, Office, Public/Institutional

Old design
- Ground floor: Room for 4 big retail spaces
- Design: Basic, 3 section rectangular shape with cut-ins like the Empire State Building, top with spire and shorter pyramid below.
- Style: "Neo Deco"
- Facade Material: Stone, aluminum, black tinted windows/curtain walls

New design
- Ground floor: Room for 2 big retail spaces, 6 smaller spaces for anything else.
- Design: Even squared shape, 4 sections with cut-ins, more like a mix between the ESP and Atlanta's BoA Plaza, top with spire enclosed with mesh like restraints, and a thicker, taller pyramid. Also featuring archs for each major section of the building.
- Facade Material: Texas Pink Granite, aluminum, black tinted windows/curtain walls, steel pattern (for top)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exxon Fort Worth/XTO HQ
Height: (old) 887 ft./ (new) 921 ft.
Floors: 50
Site: Throckmorton/W. 7th St./Houston/6th
Type: Office
Groundfloor: Retail, Entertainment

This one is a bit more close to heart since I started with this AND, it angers me everyday to see the parking lot where the 50 story XTO building was supposed to stand. It's what made me want to start doing these.

Macy's facing Houston St.

Hard Rock Cafe of Fort Worth, corner of Throckmorton and W 7th.

Bubba Gump on the corner of Throckmorton and 6th.

spires and tops

Elevations

Old design
- Ground floor: 2-one story spaces for retail facing Throckmorton and Houston
- Design: Inspired by Evans Hall on the campus of Prairie View A&M and several art deco buildings.
- Facade Material: Red stone/clay, aluminum, black tinted curtain walls

New design
- Ground floor: 3-three story spaces for retail and/or renovation. (Houston space: 1, Throckmorton space: 2)
- Design: Same as above.
- Facade Material: Same as above, with white brick.

·
seasonings greets
135 Posts
^^ Oh my god eww! I just threw up a little._. Fort Worth already has enough ugly buildings and surely the people would fight to have these last two scapped. However, both renderings of the sleek glass tower are impressive! Fort Worth has a small skyline and so does Austin, yet Austin's skyline is beautiful. The thing missing here is more glass and less brown, unless you're expecting another tornado. (/^o^)/
I'm criticizing your vision but not your character so don't rage, and since architecture is art just think of my disdain as constructive criticism as surely the city will severely criticize you for the last two building renderings. <3

·
seasonings greets
135 Posts
^^ Oh my god eww! I just threw up a little._. Fort Worth already has enough ugly buildings and surely the people would fight to have these last two scapped. However, both renderings of the sleek glass tower are impressive! Fort Worth has a small skyline and so does Austin, yet Austin's skyline is beautiful. The thing missing here is more glass and less brown, unless you're expecting another tornado. (/^o^)/
I'm criticizing your vision but not your character so don't rage, and since architecture is art just think of my disdain as constructive criticism as surely the city will severely criticize you for the last two building renderings. <3

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.... you don't know one damn thing about this city and its architecture, do you?

·
seasonings greets
135 Posts
I know I prefer the skylines of Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. I don't know, Fort Worth's skyline is mediocre and it looks like any other American city. It compares to other cities like OKC and Wichita, somewhat unimpressive.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I prefer the skylines of Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. I don't know, Fort Worth's skyline is mediocre and it looks like any other American city. It compares to other cities like OKC and Wichita, somewhat unimpressive.
Ok, I can tell you're only trolling.

You complain about 'brown', but you like San Antonio, which is nothing BUT brown.

I can tell constructive criticism from someone just being a smartass. And from your comments (here AND in previous posts) it's the later. So if you have any REAL critcism, I'm all ears. Til then, just stick to gawking at "cool" skylines.

·
seasonings greets
135 Posts
The brown in San Antonio is acceptable because those buildings are beautiful, as in the Drury hotel and the building that flies the flag. I'm not trolling it's a waste of time, silly turkey! :p

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The brown in San Antonio is acceptable because those buildings are beautiful, as in the Drury hotel and the building that flies the flag. I'm not trolling it's a waste of time, silly turkey! :p
Yet, you still don't know anything about criticizing.

You didn't say anything about THE buildings themselves. You just brought out your own bias and prejudice (if any) and called them ugly without even pointing out WHY they were.

That's my point..... and aren't you the same guy who called Chicago's skyline boring?

·
seasonings greets
135 Posts
For example, I highly dislike the building that you use for comparison next to all your renderings. That is by far one of the ugliest buildings of it's stature and it's in Fort Worth. Also the two nearly identical buildings that look like they've had blocks taken out of them and randomly reattached elsewhere have always ruined Fort Worth's skyline for me.
Also yes, I was the kid that said Chicago seemed boring howeve since then I have been enlightened. :)

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For example, I highly dislike the building that you use for comparison next to all your renderings. That is by far one of the ugliest buildings of it's stature and it's in Fort Worth. Also the two nearly identical buildings that look like they've had blocks taken out of them and randomly reattached elsewhere have always ruined Fort Worth's skyline for me.
Also yes, I was the kid that said Chicago seemed boring howeve since then I have been enlightened. :)
First off, I will say that the Burnett Tower (the one I'm using for comparison) IS ugly and most people in Fort Worth hate it. That said, I use it becuase it's also the TALLEST in the city and it's comparing my ideas to the one we currently have now.

Second.... none of what you said had anything to do with my ideas. NONE.

·
seasonings greets
135 Posts
^^ That's because you asked me if I was the guy who thought Chicago looked boring, I didn't know it was a rhetorical question. Also it's true I never explained to you why I disliked Fort Worth's skyline so therefore I now I have and that's why my response wasn't about your renderings. The first and second renderings of "Block TU" are definitely are worthy contenders and additions that would better the Fort Worth skyline.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ That's because you asked me if I was the guy who thought Chicago looked boring, I didn't know it was a rhetorical question. Also it's true I never explained to you why I disliked Fort Worth's skyline so therefore I now I have and that's why my response wasn't about your renderings. The first and second renderings of "Block TU" are definitely are worthy contenders and additions that would better the Fort Worth skyline.
Oh my god eww! I just threw up a little._. Fort Worth already has enough ugly buildings and surely the people would fight to have these last two scapped
:eek:hno:

Good lord.... you shouldn't be here too much longer.

·
seasonings greets
135 Posts
I don't use explicit language nor do I purposely disrespect people. I try my best to empathize and embrace new ideas but also I'm honest with my opinions and biases.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts