SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the idea of the ferris wheel for Mann Island came about everybody was happy, but some suggested something a little more original- something that could be uniquely Liverpool (as a UK city). Well how about Cable cars?? They could do the following:

1) Carry people from PSDA over the Strand to Albert Dock.
2) Carry people over the Mersey as well (superior to a bridge as it is cheaper and shields people from the elements.)
3) Would be iconic for a UK city
4) Would be a big hit with tourists who could do some real site-seeing as well as being used by commuters within Merseyside.

Check out my renderings (Originals: first pic by Bunnyman, other by Dave (Liverpool Pictorial.co.uk)- cheers guys.)

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Poor Accy Boy, gone but not forgotten............

Gareth said:
Your amature style rendering is an artform in its own right.

Don't ever change it. :cheers:

Oh and I love the way you've got two sharks circling Accura. :laugh:

Blabber, bloody brilliant best laugh of the day your renders :) but please dont pick on ,poor accy boy,dont you think he has enough problems already. without being ripped apart by 2 great whites. Mind you it would bring the tourist in by the bus full, scavenging around the dock looking for accy boys body parts.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
What a lovely colour.........

Gareth said:

Here you go. :cheers:
Gareth, I just knew you would come to love crayon yellow :)

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Love it blabber, although it's a bit windy so I hope it wouldn't be too scarey. As the opportunist I am, I attach a link to the New Brighton thread I succesfully killed off with my insane idea for a Llandudno - Bootle light rail / monorail link. That includes a high level monorail between New Brighton and Bootle, which could I think compliment your own idea. I am a huge fan of cable cars, I would love to see them brought properly into use in UK towns like Sheffield and Brighton.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=177130

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Gareth said:

Here you go. :cheers:
Gareth,
That's exactly what I'd intended to do. Cheers mate.

However, I have been thinking. To make this a truly memorable experience, both for tourists and commuters, perhaps a more unique design is required. One where views can be enjoyed quite literally from all perspectives!
This proto-type could be similar to the capsules used on the London Eye- except with the a transparent floor...

Liverpolitan, this design would also be more aero-dynamic!

Incidentally, I would never wish for Accura to be eaten by sharks. It is merely something I contemplate occasionally. :)

·
Registered
13,910 Posts
What a crap idea. It would end up like the transporter bridges and never get used. Plus having a great big wire across the Mersey kinda reminds me of the uber tall pylons which cross the Ribble...

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps efforts could be made to make even the pylons look interesting- they could have interesting designs for them. One of the pylons could be a steel scultpture of a Prestonian Mutant... It could be called "Accura Preston."

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The cable car in Southport doesn't have any commuter value as it just goes in a loop and only has one 'stop'. I remember thinking it was excellent when I was a kid though- it is well worth going on. Especially with those funny little carriages- I remember initially feeling as though I'd slip under the drop-down bar and plunge to my death. It was also kinda scary when it went over bumpy bits.

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More Urban Cable Car..

Imagine how well this could work for Liverpool. By 2015 the water front from Alexandra Tower to the far end of Kings Dock will be very built up and will be a big visitor hot-spot. A cable car would fit in brilliantly- it would look as good for Liverpool as it does for Manhatten. And it would serve a very useful function for everyone.

I would also guess that it would be cheaper to build than a bridge (or a monorail) and would add to consumer choice for Mersey crossings. In fact, it could be like the Alton Towers system and could take people to various points all around the city centre!

Imagine being able to travel over big cruise liners travelling over the Mersey!

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
At last we agree on something..........

Accura_Preston said:
God, I hate my user name. I wanna change it to just Accura. creevy changed his name!
We all hate it as well, how about::::::::::::::

I AM OFF, NEVER TO RETURN

·
Fugly
11,299 Posts
Isn't Acura, as in the upmarket Honda brand spelt with only one 'c'? :?

How about 'Manc Shagger' or 'Little Tommy Leprechaun' as your new username?

Ask Jan. He's very helpful! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts