Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally Australia is defintetly getting a super high speed broadband infrastructure, the Liberals plan is for private investment, which would most likely only be viable for the major cities, Labour's plan is to invest so that 98%of Australia can access it, whether they can afford this is the question, personally I do not think the budget would fancy this under a Labor goverment, so Liberals get my vote on this one (like most other things). They say work can begin even before the election (no doubt to woo voters in). I think the speed is up to 100MB/per second or possibly higher?

New broadband no cost to taxpayer: Costello
Email Print Normal font Large font June 5, 2007 - 2:40PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementAustralia will have a high-speed broadband network affordable for consumers and at no cost to taxpayers, Treasurer Peter Costello says.

Cabinet today discussed ways to get faster broadband to Australians, which reportedly include locking out the competition watchdog, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

"We want to see a situation where a fibre-to-the-node (network) is built (and) built quickly," Mr Costello told reporters.

"And built on terms which make it affordable to consumers."

Mr Costello said the government's plan would include no cost to taxpayers.

"There are at least two companies or consortiums offering that are offering to do that at the moment, one is Telstra, the other is G9, neither of which incidently require any public money.

"We had a good a discussion about that and about the way in which it might proceed.

"I can assure you it will proceed in a way which will mean that fibre is built at no cost to the taxpayer and at the best price to the consumer."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/new-broadband-no-cost-costello/2007/06/05/1180809491380.html

Feds promise broadband plan
June 05, 2007 01:03pm

Commonsense must be applied to competition policy in the high-speed internet market, Deputy Prime Minister Mark Vaile said today.

Federal cabinet is today expected to discuss a plan to sidestep the competition regulator in assessing rival broadband proposals from Telstra and the Optus-led G9 consortium.

Such a move would enable the government to challenge Labor's broadband proposals by rolling out a new high-speed network in the cities before the federal election, a Fairfax report said.

But Mr Vaile today denied the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) would be left out of the process.

"We've got to ensure that competition prevails and we've got to ensure that commonsense competition prevails," he told reporters in Canberra.

"We obviously, as do others in the economy, talk to the ACCC about the implementation of competition policy.

"But it is important to recognise that it is competition in the marketplace that is going to deliver the answers here, not hijacking the savings of the Australian nation."

He was referring to Labor's policy of taking money from the Future Fund to help pay for a $4.7 billion network.

"They're too lazy to go and argue with the private sector and get the private sector to invest."

"It needs to be done in such a way at minimum cost to taxpayers."

Mr Vaile dismissed as speculation the suggestion the government would add another $300 million to the $600 million Broadband Connect program on improving internet speeds in rural areas.

He also denied the government was trying to catch up to Labor on broadband policy.

"We've got some discussion on today on some aspects of this, particularly our program where we've been out to the market as far as Broadband Connect is concerned.

"In the meantime, we've been working with those competitors in the marketplace to ensure that they provide the appropriate level of service where the market should capable of producing it."

·
Registered
794 Posts
The government is only doing this because Labor has realised that the government has failed this country in terms of Broadband and now, because it's an election year, have decided to be "serious on Broadband" because the last 11 years, complacency on this topic was fine! All I can say is that it's about bloody time, but they still deserve to get kicked out this year badly.

Oh and selling Telstra was not a wise move since it's now given a private company an unfair advantage over other companies in terms of the massive infrastructure (cables?) that they now own. The government didn't really think that over though and now we're in another mess thanks to their stupid level of incompetence.

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
I think the speed is up to 100MB/per second or possibly higher?
Small B. 1MB = 8Mb. :D

This isn't news really, Telstra and G9 have been putting together their proposals for ages now. It doesn't really have anything to do with the government, because both proposals were initiated by the private sector.

But Telstra really shouldn't get the project because it gives them too big an opportunity to create a monopoly and squeeze their competitors out of the market, which will happen if a provider of broadband services is the sole owner of the network. It's bad enough as it is, how every internet connection (bar Optus cable and wireless) has to pass through Telstra's network at some point.

And it's ridiculous to have them both build competing networks (as is the case in America and with the cable network laid in various cities of Australia 10 years ago) because that's just a waste of infrastructure.

I'm pretty sure the G9 consortium (for those of you who don't know, that's a group of nine other major Australian ISPs) isn't offering as fast a network but if done right, they're easy to upgrade (the bottleneck would probably be the equipment at each end). They have guaranteed that their network will initially be at a minimum equivalent to their current speeds, ie 24Mb/s ADSL2+. And that's very reasonable - 3MB/s download speed (theoretical) is enough for almost everything, even people who are busy with BitTorrent (where the issue is more the difference between upload and download speed and usage quotas).

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
Finally, we're getting something that other countries had years ago! Of course by the time this is rolled out other countries will have moved on to fibre-to-the-home and our network will return to its state of natural obsolescence once again. So it goes.

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
And what's the idea with locking out the ACCC? Is it solely so Howard can get this going before an election? Great. When Australian consumers receive the worse possible solution on broadband once AGAIN, just don't forget for whose benefit this network was REALLY constructed!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Finally, we're getting something that other countries had years ago! Of course by the time this is rolled out other countries will have moved on to fibre-to-the-home and our network will return to its state of natural obsolescence once again. So it goes.
There's always another election for Howard to pretend to care about Broadband. :) You know, kind of like the Libs neglected it for 11 years and only start caring about it now because Labor have mentioned it and because it's an election. Actually, they also denied climate change for 11 years and now, shock horror, during an election year and realising that the majority of Australian's believe in climate change, they've realised that it exists. :O:O What next? They'll defend their shitty IR laws and decide to do a backflip just to please people because it's an election year when we know deep down they want every worker to suffer under shittier conditions? :O

Point being? It's an election year and the Libs are being the bastards that they're famous for and if they get elected this year because of their "sudden realisations", then I'll be pissed off at another 3 more wasted years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The isn't a Lib/Lab thing, really. Stop making it political and going "oh the Libs have just waited until now to do this".

The proposals put forward--I hope G9 wins. I want Telstra dead.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It certainly is a Lib thing. This is the first time I've heard them actually state that will do something about our Broadband issue. They're only saying they'll do something because the ALP have said they'll do something, and because there is an election this year. Just like they've been climate change skeptics for 11 years until this miraculous year where they've decided to pretend to care about it. They can't fool the country this time or at least, definitely not me!

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
It certainly is a Lib thing. This is the first time I've heard them actually state that will do something about our Broadband issue.
They're not doing anything. They're just taking credit for the private sector's own initiative to build their own broadband networks, and Telstra/G9 have been planning it for years now.

If affordable broadband infrastructure can be built by the private sector, that's a great thing because we can keep politics out of the picture.

·
Registered
754 Posts
lol

"At no cost to taxpayer".

Yeah right. Just like privatised roads let to cheaper tolls, privatised rail and air led to cheaper fares, privatised banks led to cheaper fees, and private health insurance just gets cheaper and cheaper all the time.

The consumer, ie, the taxpayer, will pay, in the end.

·
Watch my Chops
6,046 Posts
Considering they caused the competition "Issues" with there T3 sale. Telstra and G9 are being fucked over by the Government, one of the reasons they support the Labor plan.

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
lol

"At no cost to taxpayer".

Yeah right. Just like privatised roads let to cheaper tolls, privatised rail and air led to cheaper fares, privatised banks led to cheaper fees, and private health insurance just gets cheaper and cheaper all the time.

The consumer, ie, the taxpayer, will pay, in the end.
The big ISPs managed to roll out ADSL2+ at their own expense, and it costs no more than ADSL. This is a much bigger project but I'm confident that they can pull it off - Telstra and G9 have plenty of money and plenty of potential benefit. Optus, one of the G9 members, laid a HFC cable network in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (or was it Adelaide) using their own money ten years ago, and provided an excellent service which has sadly fallen behind with the times - 10Mb/s was excellent in the late 90s but is fairly average today.

And the competition issues, again they aren't entirely political but were a relic of older days when Telstra had the monopoly on telecommunications so there was no objection to making them responsible for both infrastructure and providing services. But with deregulation, it's become a bad situation where most internet users have to go through Telstra's network regardless of who their actual provider is.

For all I care, politicians should stay away from this. It's been a couple of years since Telstra first announced their plans with the G9 consortium being formed shortly after to propose an alternative. I'm sure both of them would take the money if the government offered it, but they should be able to pay for it themselves. I don't mind seeing the dollars on my internet bill going to infrastructure.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
The big ISPs managed to roll out ADSL2+ at their own expense, and it costs no more than ADSL.
Of course there's not real infrastructure in this - it's a rack cabinet and maybe $10,000 worth of equipment in an exchange. Laying fibre is a whole nother ball game. Still, the G9 presents a much better face to the public than Telstra. But it is only FTTN, you'll be lucky to get 10 years from it before FTTH becomes necessary - not only because copper twisted pair can't deliver the speed, but because large amounts of the copper network are getting very old...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Dont hold your breath for this to happen any time soon - remember its an election year and pollies will say anything to elected /re elected.

·
Lord Melbourne
4,257 Posts
It'll probably still be considered slow on an international level.

If they don't do anything about pricing and making true unlimited plans it's kinda pointless.

·
Proud "Pricktorian"
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Small B. 1MB = 8Mb. :D
Not sure what you mean? :) :eek:hno:

hornetfig said:
Of course there's not real infrastructure in this - it's a rack cabinet and maybe $10,000 worth of equipment in an exchange.
Yes. But that's at EVERY exhange, think about how many exchanges there are across the suburbs. Can be very costly.

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
Not sure what you mean?
There are eight bits in a byte, and therefore 8 Megabits (Mb) in a megabyte (MB). And of course you have to remember that mega doesn't stand for one million, but it stands for 2^20, which is actually a bit over a million - every hard drive manufacturer and ISP scams you by using the wrong definition.

·
Lord of the Ring
887 Posts
There are eight bits in a byte, and therefore 8 Megabits (Mb) in a megabyte (MB). And of course you have to remember that mega doesn't stand for one million, but it stands for 2^20, which is actually a bit over a million - every hard drive manufacturer and ISP scams you by using the wrong definition.
Someone told me that within the context of networking, 1 byte = 10 bits.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts