1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"NEW" stations? What does this mean? Don't those stations exist already? Are they getting a redesign?

no they're NEW stations. they havent been built yet. hence, NEW.

oh i didnt mean to add hsinchu in the heading. was a typo. moderator, please delete hsinchu from the title, thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
no they're NEW stations. they havent been built yet. hence, NEW.

oh i didnt mean to add hsinchu in the heading. was a typo. moderator, please delete hsinchu from the title, thanks!
Nangang is also supposed to be "new" station, but it's underground so the design will probably be something along the lines of Taipei Main Station or Banqiao Station.

They look good, I'm glad they aren't just copying other stations or cutting back based on budgets.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
still on schedule for these? how will it impact the schedule when these stations are done? the duration to travel will be extended now which will suck

·
a Taiwanese Sydney-Sider
81 Posts
I did a quick search on the internet and the latest news (31/05/2013) mentioned that the construction is on schedule. The station is set to complete late 2014 and will be in operation from June 2015.

Personal opinion: dont get your hopes up. all major infrastructions in taiwan announce delay in construction right at the end of the expected completion. Maybe follow up again early 2014. but again there's an election next year. maybe the politicians will chase them up to look good

For those of you who read chinese:
http://history.n.yam.com/taiwanhot/place/20130531/20130531526056.html

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
having 3 new stations will mess up the scheduling time. I want to see how they will schedule trips to have better efficiency

·
Registered
734 Posts
Their scheduling doesn't seem to be efficient even now. When I took the train in May, it had a scheduled stop at Taichung station for 6 minutes! Why is it that long? No freaking idea. The passengers boarded the train in about 30 seconds to one minute. No need for such a long stop imo.

·
Registered
297 Posts
having 3 new stations will mess up the scheduling time. I want to see how they will schedule trips to have better efficiency
They're not going to make all trains stop at every station. Even now, they have multiple operating routes to optimize efficiency and stopping patterns.
http://www.thsrc.com.tw/download/timetable_130601_summer.pdf

Their scheduling doesn't seem to be efficient even now. When I took the train in May, it had a scheduled stop at Taichung station for 6 minutes! Why is it that long? No freaking idea. The passengers boarded the train in about 30 seconds to one minute. No need for such a long stop imo.
According to their website, trains are 98-100% on time: http://www.thsrc.com.tw/tc/about/ab_operate_annual.asp

In my experience, it's usually pretty efficient; I've never had to wait that long at intermediate stations and it seems to run like clockwork. If it was waiting for 6 min, there was most likely some congestion farther ahead.

·
Registered
734 Posts
^^ There was no congestion whatsoever. It was a planned stop for sure. I'm not sure if they do it with every train stopping at Taichung, but it still seemed pretty pointless. Though it might be that they just want the statistics to look good. Like in Spain, where many high speed trains arrive earlier, 'cause they put few extra minutes in the schedule.

I see the point of building extra stations on the line though. It should attract more passengers and THSR kind of needs it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Haha, I wasn't saying it wasn't a planned stop, but that if the train in front of you isn't far enough ahead, you can't continue for safety concerns (to maintain a minimum distance between trains) - hence the longer than expected wait.

I think some of the extra stations are kind of unnecessary though. For example, the planned Changhua Station is less than 30 km away from Taichung and (the planned) Yunlin in each direction. Of course, it's not like they have to spend lots of money laying extra track for them. :lol:

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you find yourself waiting at a station it is mostly likely because it is waiting for the express train behind to catch up and pass. There are other reasons too but this is the most common cause.

I experience this a lot on the Kodama trains on the Shinkansen too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Japanese shinkansen is a totally different story. I lived in both Taipei and Tokyo and took the THSR and Shinkansen. In Japan there are simply too many trains, so the slower ones often need to wait at the stations for the skip-stop services (Hikari, Nozomi) to pass. This, however, doesn't happen that often in Taiwan since the service is not as frequent (although it does happen, it wasn't the case in Taichung. Too bad I don't remember what time it was, I just remember it was between 7 and 8 PM).

As for the stations being close to each other - well, Taiwan is really tiny, yet pretty densely populated. If you want to give people in Changhua and Yunlin counties access to the high speed rail, you gotta build the station this close.
To me what's more important is the extension from Zuoying anywhere closer to Kaohsiung's city centre. If Kaohsiung main station is hard to reach, then just build it somewhere else. I just always find it so annoying that the trip from Taipei is so fast, but you spent so much time getting anywhere from Zuoying. Even despite the MRT.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if taiwan is such a tiny country, then why do they need so many stations? the stations are close enough for people who are in between those stations to go there by train or bus or scooter or hitchhike or whatever.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Japanese shinkansen is a totally different story. I lived in both Taipei and Tokyo and took the THSR and Shinkansen. In Japan there are simply too many trains, so the slower ones often need to wait at the stations for the skip-stop services (Hikari, Nozomi) to pass. This, however, doesn't happen that often in Taiwan since the service is not as frequent (although it does happen, it wasn't the case in Taichung. Too bad I don't remember what time it was, I just remember it was between 7 and 8 PM).

As for the stations being close to each other - well, Taiwan is really tiny, yet pretty densely populated. If you want to give people in Changhua and Yunlin counties access to the high speed rail, you gotta build the station this close.
To me what's more important is the extension from Zuoying anywhere closer to Kaohsiung's city centre. If Kaohsiung main station is hard to reach, then just build it somewhere else. I just always find it so annoying that the trip from Taipei is so fast, but you spent so much time getting anywhere from Zuoying. Even despite the MRT.
Actually every express from Zuoying to Taipei will pass the non-express along the way. which means if the train behind is late, it has to wait longer. The timetable is designed that way. However, since every train stops at Taichung, for your case it is probably due to some other reason.

For the Yunlin, Miaoli and Changhwa stations, it was agreed in principle before construction even began that every county gets one station. It is estimated that ridership will only increase marginally but HSR is also a public service.

THSR did not extend to Kaohsiung for cost reasons. TRA is current putting its entire segment underground however i believe there is no provision for HSR. You should be able to cut down on travel time to Kaohsiung once the grade separation work is completed.

·
Registered
734 Posts
if taiwan is such a tiny country, then why do they need so many stations?
Because if the HSR wants to compete with normal trains or other means of transport, it has to be easily accessible to people. Otherwise, if they need to first take a long ride by bus or train from the city centre to the HSR station, they'll choose another way of getting to their destination. That was the case in Taichung for a long time, when you needed to take the stupid shuttle bus, 'cause the station was so far away. Same in Hsinchu, where there was nothing around the station for a long time. Thankfully, now the areas has developed hugely and the station doesn't look like it's been built in the middle of nowhere.
I think the idea of HSR in Taiwan is not only to link Taipei, Taichung and Kaohsiung, but also other counties along the route. Hence the extra stations.

nemu said:
THSR did not extend to Kaohsiung for cost reasons. TRA is current putting its entire segment underground however i believe there is no provision for HSR. You should be able to cut down on travel time to Kaohsiung once the grade separation work is completed.
Yeah, money's always the issue. Everywhere. ><
If only normal trains in Taiwan were standard gauge, it would be possible for the high speed train sets to use normal track all the way to the main station in Kaohsiung. But well, they're not... ;)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but i dont think the hsr and regular trains should compete with each other - they should compliment each other. only several hsr stations should exist only in bigger cities; the regular trains should service bigger and smaller cities/towns. i looked at the hsr as a long term investment; built in the middle of nowhere but eventually that middle of nowhere will eventually be developed over time with settlement and linked together with mrts, bus system or other forms of transportation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts