Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the area and to the forums. My wife and I decided to get out of the heat of Florida. We've been here for about 4 months and absolutely love it. We've already found some great places to eat within the city, but if anyone has some fav's, please share. :)

Also, does Seattle have a giant (non chain) bookstore? I'm looking for a store comparable to the one in downtown Portland, Powell's books.

We love the public transit, while a bit behind the bigger cities, it is world's ahead of anything in FL.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Not nearly as big as Powell's but the Elliott Bay Book Company (now up on Capitol Hill instead of near Elliott Bay in Pioneer Square) is probably the best known larger non-chain bookstore. The University Bookstore on University Way ("The Ave") is the main store for a small chain of those stores which you might also like to try.

Welcome to Seattle and the forum.

·
Resident Meteorologist
1,355 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new to the area and to the forums. My wife and I decided to get out of the heat of Florida. We've been here for about 4 months and absolutely love it. We've already found some great places to eat within the city, but if anyone has some fav's, please share. :)

Also, does Seattle have a giant (non chain) bookstore? I'm looking for a store comparable to the one in downtown Portland, Powell's books.

We love the public transit, while a bit behind the bigger cities, it is world's ahead of anything in FL.

Where in Florida are you from?

I moved here from Tallahassee in 1992, Loved it here back then and even more so Now, but do all us us local's a favor and tell people you know that it DOES IN FACT RAIN ALL THE TIME HERE!!!!

We're getting a little crowded here in Seattle.

BTW, Welcome the great Pac Nw

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where in Florida are you from?

I moved here from Tallahassee in 1992, Loved it here back then and even more so Now, but do all us us local's a favor and tell people you know that it DOES IN FACT RAIN ALL THE TIME HERE!!!!

We're getting a little crowded here in Seattle.

BTW, Welcome the great Pac Nw
Thank you!
lol. We moved from Orlando. I'm originally from Clearwater/ St. Pete area. Your cover is still good, because everyone we told we were moving to Seattle said, "oh it rains every day there, why would you want to move there". haha So far, I am absolutely loving it here. My wife and I moved here more so for the large city feel, but love all the nature everywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

I live in Florida and Im thinking of doing the same thing!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was at the Hunt Club for restaurant week yesterday. I can't say the food, albeit mass produced for restaurant week, really stuck out at me, but I'll probably go back because it's interior design is hella old school. Wood paneled, lots of detail, rich patterns, warm colors, I felt like I should have been a. wearing a suit b. smoking a cigar and sipping a cognac and c. foreclosing on people's homes all at the same time. Maybe a monocle too.

That's my recommendation. It's in the Sorrento Hotel on first hill, I think it was 9th and madison, which is brick and old with lots of detail too. They don't build 'em like that anymore.

·
1,445 Posts
Welcome to Seattle!! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts