SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
forumer #29
4,554 Posts
Very boxy. Very introvert look too, doesn't look any better than if the whole facade was just plain grey concrete.
I don't like it. Could very well just turn Icelanders against tall buildings :(

·
ze kreat ant ze onli
58 Posts
AtlanticaC5 said:
Yup, that's really ugly. We're not living in the 60s are we?
In Iceland they are :hahaha:

To be serious, I was in Reykjavik recently. What struck me was that there were so much suburban areas. I couldn´t think that such a small city with only 180000 in whole metro area could have so much urban sprawl. The architecture was very much of 60´s functionalistic thinking and concept. You have to remember though that it of course has an explanation: Iceland wasn´t urbanized until very late and Reykjavik in particular has grown a lot since 60´s (I think I saw somewhere that it had doubled its size in the last 40 years or something like that). Then add that there is virtually no public transportation except a few bus lines so everyone drive their SUVs (it is Iceland so if you go outside Reykjavik you must have these type of vehicle to drive on the roads all-year round) everywhere whenever they want, with the result of traffic congestions and adding extra lanes to the roads. Whereever I went, I saw a lot of construction being done in Reykjavik as well as in smaller towns so I am sure Iceland must be a wealthy nation.

I don´t think this project will ruin the area. I saw a lot of new 8-12 stories tall residential buildings near the coast and some older 1960´s constructions which were certainly uglier than this project. Don´t know if there is much debate about it on Iceland but I am sure they won´t stop building more high rises in Reykjavik. I wish though that they had learnt not to continue on this type of grey-boxy constructions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
well, I don't believe that the rendering is showing the expected appearance and color of the building. All renderings of this building up until now have been rather impressionist and I doubt this one really really gives an accurate impression of the final appearance.

My guess is that the building will be alot more blueish, since the facade will mainly be glass.

·
Banned
14,132 Posts
Thanks to Gassinc for introducing the project :eek:kay: and also thanks to solbyair for his impressions of Iceland and to samminn for his consoling remarks.

Summing up most previous reactions, I'm afraid I must join the general sentiment of grey and boxy. On the other hand, let's hope the complex will gain color and character as the planning progresses. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.