SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 909 Posts

·
Registered
71,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pretty amazing. all 2000ft!
replaces the 1950s crap 333m tower

The old tokyo tower was surrounded by many skyscrapers and the transmission tv signal was quite bad. So in 2010 the signal will shift to digital and tokyo needs a new tower able to send sinal to the whole Tokyo area.
The tower will have two ob turrets. 1 at 360m and next at 450m+.
website
http://www.rising-east.jp/

·
Galactic Ruler
6,806 Posts
We can do so much better than this tower. If this was replacing Sydney tower I'd be upset, it looks little better than the television towers on the north shore. That steel framework looks too industrial and very low tech to me.

·
20,608 Posts
It was funny when they were advertising this (I don't know if they still are) but they were saying that it was going to be the tallest structure in the world and completely ignoring the mighty Burj!!!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
It looks like a new version of the old one, and until now, I didn't know it would replace the old tower, I thought it'd be somewhere else in the city.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No doubt the new tower will look better than the old, but after a couple of trips to Tokyo I think I'm gonna miss the old one. It was a great symbol of a country in the 1950's that desperately wanted to be seen to be as modern as tomorrow..... The new tower is definitely more of a symbol of a country that knows its "made it".

I reckon that if the old tower was in Australia it would have had a heritage listing slapped on it!

·
Perthite
8,013 Posts
Briliant tower, although I am not a fan of these sorts of towers, they tend to be ugly, just build a 600m office tower with a tv transmittor on the top :D.

It was funny when they were advertising this (I don't know if they still are) but they were saying that it was going to be the tallest structure in the world and completely ignoring the mighty Burj!!!
Probably counting on the project running out of money lol, remember it hasn't made it yet! Anything can happen!

·
Unacquainted Acquaintance
1,492 Posts
What are they gonna do with the old tower, turn it into a tourist attraction
Tear it down. This is actually going to replace the old one.

Is it just me or does the bottom turret actually seem like Sydney Tower just a little bit? Makes me wonder how different Sydney Tower might have looked had it used mostly glass on the turret...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
looks good but will they build it? I recall several proposals from years back, including a mega huge habitation cone and a 800 metre high building. I cant remember the source but they looked pretty dodgy.

1 - 20 of 909 Posts