SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think, I heard the end of a report on 5live about a Brownite being given the job, presumably Darling has gone???

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just sent him this...

Douglas,

I understand congratulations are due with your promotion to being Transport Secretary.

May I be first to voice my view that in your new role I hope you have better luck in fulfilling the wishes of many of the countries core cities.

Recently Leeds, Portsmouth and Liverpool have had their hopes of light rail systems being built in their city dashed – the reason being given rising costs.

I hope in you new role you manage the department in such a way that the wishes of the people in places like Manchester, where as I’m sure you will find out there has been a huge long campaign to have our tram system extended, what they want.

From recent press reports in the area, Darling was very close to announcing that Phase 3 was to proceed, I urge you to complete this, and allow the most important project for the north of England to start, before costs rise even further, making the project less viable.

Regards

·
Banned
1,820 Posts
Well if hes a Brownite forget about transport initiatives getting through.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Does anyone know if he has seen a picture of a tram before? Should we send some that he can flick through while he's being chauffered about town?

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How Douglas Alexander voted on key issues since 2001 (From Public Whip) :

Moderately for introducing a smoking ban. votes, speeches
Very strongly for the reduction of parliamentary scrutiny. votes, speeches
Quite strongly for introducing ID cards. votes, speeches
Very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes, speeches
Very strongly for introducing student top-up fees. votes, speeches
Quite strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes, speeches
Very strongly for the Iraq war. votes, speeches
Very strongly for the fox hunting ban. votes, speeches
Quite strongly for equal gay rights. votes, speeches

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Minister of State (Europe), Foreign & Commonwealth Office (16 May 2005 to 19 Dec 2005)
Minister of State (Trade), Department of Trade and Industry (4 Nov 2004 to 11 May 2005)
Minister of State (Trade), Foreign & Commonwealth Office (4 Nov 2004 to 11 May 2005)
Minister of State (Trade (joint with DTI)), Department of Trade and Industry (10 Sep 2004 to 4 Nov 2004)
Minister of State (Trade (joint with DTI)), Foreign & Commonwealth Office (10 Sep 2004 to 4 Nov 2004)
Minister of State, Cabinet Office (9 Sep 2004 to 10 Sep 2004)
Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Cabinet Office (13 Jun 2003 to 9 Sep 2004)
Minister of State, Cabinet Office (29 May 2002 to 13 Jun 2003)
Minister of State (E-Commerce and Competitiveness), Department of Trade and Industry (11 Jun 2001 to 29 May 2002)

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
I would just like to take this opportunity to celebrate the fact that Prezza no longer has an ODPM so he will no longer be able to interfere with all the projects that we all know and love :)

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
We managed OK without an ODPM before. Prezza has lost his portfolio and will simply be the Deputy PM.

Ruth Kelly is heading up a new department called Community & Local Government Secretary

·
Registered
24,258 Posts
Biosonic said:
I would just like to take this opportunity to celebrate the fact that Prezza no longer has an ODPM so he will no longer be able to interfere with all the projects that we all know and love :)
Yes fantastic isn't it. So that's the end of skyscrapers in London then. :bash:

·
Registered
24,258 Posts
Prescott allowed the final go ahead on LBT, St George's and Minerva Tower. He seemed adament they be built, I'm not sure his successor will be so arrogant in a good way of pushing these large contentious schemes through.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
I think for the rest of the country Prezza is bad. He calls in schemes when IMO they should be free from government interference.

And Thames Gateway is a ridiculous concept and a disaster waiting to happen, but that is for another thread....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think prezza has done well. He got the CTRL going and set in motion a whole load of transport projects. It's only his successors that have cocked it all up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts