Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about the new infill going on in midwestern big cities (St Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, KC, Cincy, Cleveland, Indy, etc).

Sure, of course there is the highrise development going on in and around your downtowns, and that is great of course.

But what about actual neighborhood infill with urban-design features (ie townhomes, shops, mixed-use low-to-midrise buildings, etc)? How about those new single-family homes that are lining streets with garages on rear alleys?

I ask this because in Chicago there is tons of this stuff going on everywhere. In fact, in Chicago there is a certain nonchalance about creating urban neighborhoods, almost as if it's still the 1920's over there.

But I am looking to other cities in the midwest to see what they are doing. Do you guys have some pics of neighborhood urban infill projects in your cities?

·
Banned
795 Posts
The Urban Politician said:
I am curious about the new infill going on in midwestern big cities (St Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, KC, Cincy, Cleveland, Indy, etc).

Sure, of course there is the highrise development going on in and around your downtowns, and that is great of course.

But what about actual neighborhood infill with urban-design features (ie townhomes, shops, mixed-use low-to-midrise buildings, etc)? How about those new single-family homes that are lining streets with garages on rear alleys?

I ask this because in Chicago there is tons of this stuff going on everywhere. In fact, in Chicago there is a certain nonchalance about creating urban neighborhoods, almost as if it's still the 1920's over there.

But I am looking to other cities in the midwest to see what they are doing. Do you guys have some pics of neighborhood urban infill projects in your cities?

Chicago is really the only one doing it all out gangbusters. Minny is doing a decent job. Relatively speaking, the other cities are doing ok but city living and pure space has not made infill as popular. What do I mean? In KC, nobody has an hour commute to work unless they live in the country. In Chicago an hour commute is not only common, but average. Therefor this and prices along with urban amenities in Chicago creates a commodity--people want to live in the city--thus infill. I think the rest of the Midwest with the exception of Indy and Minny just needs to get their downtowns up to par before even trying to tackle infill in hoods. The relative ease of travel and the popularity of suburban "family" hoods still predominates these cities. It is happening, just not on the per capita level it is happening in Chicago.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Gych, this is one of those rare occasions in which I agree with you. In fact, Indianapolis is also revitalizing its older core neighborhoods. They have this vacant house inventory that helps them to fix certain neighborhoods by doing things such as renovating and rebuilding houses.

·
Registered
986 Posts
There is plenty of infill in St. Louis neighborhoods. Benton Park, Lafayette Square, Central West End to name a few. Of course, neighborhoods have always been St. Louis' best feature. From the top of my head: Benton Park has the Fleur de Lis mixed use buildings, as well as new houses. Lafayette Square is getting a new mixed use building named the Union Club, new commercial buildings on Park Avenue as well as tons of new townhouses. Central West End is building the Park East, and two condo towers on Lindell. This list is just the tip of the iceberg. But, St. Louis is seeing a lot of new building outside of downtown.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
Milwaukee is doing a pretty good job in my opinion. Our heralded Beerline neighborhood went from this...

to this...

there are some other major buildings under construction there now. This neighborhood was created from scratch, really only a few years ago.

The biggie in Milwaukee is the Park East redevelopment. An underused freeway was demolished, leaving tons of room for redevelopment in downtown. Here are some of the buildings U.C. or proposed. A mixed used soccer stadium is also on the boards btw.

There are so many others to speak of going on around the city--in Brewers Hill, Third Ward, Walkers Point,Bayview and even the ghetto. The one bad one is the gated community/church in the inner city.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
I wish I had pics (maybe I'll try to go this weekend), but the best infill in St. Louis City is taking place in Lafayette Square and Soulard. Here are a few pics of new buildings:

^This type of infill is taking place ALL OVER Soulard!

^Lafayette Square, completed in 1990.

Lafayette Square, completed in the early '90s.

Some infill in LaSalle Park, on the city's Near South Side:

The Central West End has several highrises under construction and several more planned, but there's also plenty of this:

But none of the new construction can even remotely keep pace with the gazillions upon gazillions of historic rehabs taking place in every corner of this old bitch.

Here are renderings of more under construction in various 'hoods in the city limits:

There are many, many more too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Minneapolis, for its scale, is having a lot of good new projects outside the core. Uptown is the chief neighborhood of change right now. Here's some of the projects.

All from http://www.ouruptown.com
Calhoun Square expansion:

Edgewater

Track 29
http://ouruptown.com/dev-track29.htm
Lumen on Lagoon

Mozaic

Outside of Uptown, there is a lot going on, its just more spread out.
These are all in the area of the LRT line:

In Northeast:

Other South Minneapolis:

North Minneapolis:

·
Central Illinoisan
170 Posts
I know Decatur isn't exactly a "big city"....

...by any stretch...

but, nearly 12 buildings in our downtown area are being remodeled for retail on the ground floor and lofts above. In addition, a new apartment building has been proposed with a large retail space on the ground floor.

Baby steps to larger cities, but for a recovering post-industrial town, pretty great news.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Hey, that is great infill in St. Louis!

Soulard is a cool hood.

Looks like Chicago can learn a few lessons from our old rival. ;)

There's also some nice infill in the Prairie Ave. district of Chicago. Does anyone have any pics of those?

(great idea for a thread, btw)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Fall Creek Place, Indianapolis

Here are some photos I found on the net from Fall Creek Place, which has been "infilled" over the last five years or so. From what I understand, a federal grant was secured that underwrote the loans for rehabbing existing structures, and building new ones. That way, the folks who had stuck in out through the (very) bad years weren't thrown out when the area gentrified. A very nice neighborhood now, although the surrounding neighborhoods still need some work.

Didn't hurt that the US Congresswoman for central Indianapolis lives the neighborhood! Go Julia!

And a few before/after pictures from the neighborhood website. Technically not infill, but rehabs...but gives you an idea of what the area looked like before the federal funds flooded Fall Creek.

Before/after

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
yea, those St.Louis develoments are geat. I wouldn't mind more of that going up in Chicago esepcially along main corridors that need some infill.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts