Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a nothern suburb, just off US 40, in a developing area...

The site plan. They sort of have the town center pulled back from the highway, which is not how I'd do it, but the site planning is pretty nice

They have this one area zoned for "Live/Work" units

But are developing the more conventional part first, with some respectable revival-style spec housing.

...grouped around a little plaza. Note that the site plan has alleys for some of the lots.

The main road into the complex....

...will terminate in this verrry Tscherman looking stadtplatz

(Camillo Sittes Der Stadtbau as intepreted in the cornfields of Ohio?)

This isn't a big development but it will be quite a sight if they pull it off, especially that town center part. Interestingly enough this isn't in a high-style/boomburb part of Dayton suburbia (which is more to the south & east of the city).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Glad to see a true new urbanist community under construction in the Dayton area. These types of developments sure beat the old suburban standards.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was just through this area the other day, although I missed this one. I was on Main Street. Up by 70, this area is really, really nice, but as you take Main Street closer to downtown, the worse it gets. This area seems to have the beginnings of a new population center to the north of Dayton. I would not be surprised to see mid-rise business buildings in this area in the near future. I just wish there was a better connection with Dayton proper.

By the way, I love the statues of people in downtown Dayton. When you are driving through, it is hard to determine who is real and who is not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts