SkyscraperCity banner

Final?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you might have seen, the vote is deadlocked at 15-15 for CCBP vs. CPC. The core group of the new organization has decided that we should consider a compromise choice. That choice is "Citizens for Better Planning (CBP)." This choice removes the problem of being too wordy, which was the problem with CCBP. This choice also removes the problem of not communicating that this is a citizen-based group, which was the problem with CPC.

Of course, "Citizens for Better Planning" does not identify the group as a "Chicago" group, but that can perhaps be overcome simply by the brief description of the group in some early media reports, on our website, and through our interaction with public officials, developers, and community groups.

In fact, there are two active citywide planning groups, The Metropolitan Planning Council (MPC) and the Neighborhood Capital Budget Group (NCBG), that do not have the word "Chicago" in the name of the organization. Simply through repeated exposure, these groups have been clearly known as Chicago-based or Chicago area-based groups. Perhaps the same can be accomplished for "Citizens for Better Planning."

Thus, we are posting another ballot, which you see above. The ballot will be open for 48 hours. We have listed three choices. These are the two current choices, CCBP and CPC, along with the compromise choice, CBP. We will take the winner of the three choices, even if it does not have the majority of the votes. We wish to come to a decision on this ballot, so if you can live with the compromise choice, please select it.

Thank you for your patience. This is democracy at work, and it can take a bit of extra time. As Winston Churchill said, "Democracy is the worst form of government, excepting all the others."

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
CBP sounds the best, both in its shortened form and when you actually read Citizens for Better Planning it sounds like a real group name. If needed you could always put Chicago underneath the name in the logo.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
CBP

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
i say all these votes are a headache and detere us from dealing with the improtant issues of building this organization !!were losing sight of whats important and what we need to get accomplished. the literal name doesent mean shit unless you we can make it mean something! its rediculouse alreadsy with all your lame poles. i say leave it CAUG and **** this bull shit already . lets move on to more importent issues!!!!!!!

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
^ and with that attitude, i think it's safe to say that no one is gonna want you to be associated with this group in any way.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
if you guys cant even get anything of real substance properly taken care of then i dont think i would want to.
look dan im all for everything the group represents but this is a back assed way of working, your grinding your wheels and not moving forward! im a business man and so i guess i like to be constently progressing not regressing . if thats an attitude you dont want to have a part of than your right i wouldnt fit well with your org.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
your "my way or the highway" attitude is absolutely unwelcome in our group. democracy is slow and inefficient at times, but it's the way we've decided to run this organization. deal with it.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
It's just basic growing pains. Yes it's slow. Yes it's inefficient. But as Dan said, that's how democracy works. Besides, until we have a name that people will accept as legitimate, we can't start our web site, we can't have business cards made and we won't be taken seriously be politicians and the media.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wickedestcity said:
if you guys cant even get anything of real substance properly taken care of then i dont think i would want to.
look dan im all for everything the group represents but this is a back assed way of working, your grinding your wheels and not moving forward! im a business man and so i guess i like to be constently progressing not regressing . if thats an attitude you dont want to have a part of than your right i wouldnt fit well with your org.
It is frustrating being involved with anything at the ground floor, but a foundation has to be laid. That foundation includes things like what the group is about, how it is going to do business, and yes how the group will be referred to. I have it on good authority that there are several other groups in this city that started in a similar manner. Did we hear about it? No, I'm sure they were started on a forum like this. Are there others things being discussed? Yes there are, but one of TUP's original points was that most of the group's business doesn't take place on the forums.

As far as I, and everyone I'm in contact with, is concerned this is not regression. There were concerns raised about the name, and what the reaction to it would be to the outside world, so questions were raised, and we are trying to find an answer. Would it be more efficient to lock everyone up in a room and not come out until answer is reached? Yes, but in the growth stage, using these forums allows us to reach a greater number of people to get input from.

After the name is sorted, a post with group info will be posted and updated with meeting times. After that most, if not all, group activity will be off of the site.

At the last meeting we set up a timeline and we are sticking to it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Latoso said:
It's just basic growing pains. Yes it's slow. Yes it's inefficient. But as Dan said, that's how democracy works. Besides, until we have a name that people will accept as legitimate, we can't start our web site, we can't have business cards made and we won't be taken seriously be politicians and the media.
Yeah, that

·
Registered
361 Posts
wickedestcity said:
i say all these votes are a headache and detere us from dealing with the improtant issues of building this organization !!were losing sight of whats important and what we need to get accomplished. the literal name doesent mean shit unless you we can make it mean something! its rediculouse alreadsy with all your lame poles. i say leave it CAUG and **** this bull shit already . lets move on to more importent issues!!!!!!!
Well, you can help by showing up at a meeting....
Part of the slow gowing in this group is because of the lackluster attendence of potential group members. That is why we have to post and respond in a slower manner on the forums for those, like yourself that still have not shown up for a single meeting. Your a cool guy wickedestcity, and I for one would really like your imput in our organization; but if your not going to show up and help the group progress in a more effecient manner please stop lambasting the decisons made by those who are working to make this happen.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Event of interest to organization members:

wickedestcity will be lecturing on the subject "How to start a new organization" at the Cultural Center next Monday at 12:00 Noon.

Oh, wait. Due to overwhelming advance registration, the event has been moved to the United Center

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
NearNorthGuy-newbie,joke all you like but as it happens I’ve started and ran 3 successful (Corporations) businesses already, 2 of which I sold for a very nice profit! That’s just what I do, I build things from the ground up in a very organized efficient fashion and I’m only 24. The really funny thing is that your actually right in that I have in fact have spoken before large crowds in NY and Dallas regarding developing a strong and profitable business.But in the end laugh all you like, my opinion still stands. I’m in no way saying that it’s my way or the high way, lol, in fact I feel everything should be a combined effort and fallow an overall consensus when dealing with any matter that may arise. My only reserve was the regression I feel we are making. But I suppose I could be wrong, I mean hay what do I know about building successful organizations …right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts