Votes: 78 62.9%
  • Old

Votes: 46 37.1%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Waiting for 122
3,802 Posts
New.

The only thing the old one has is the memories and the history.

The New Wembley will surely acquire that in time, no? Well actually probably not, because people will just continue to bitch about it, and harp on about the 'good old days' of football, or the inaccurate popular reference to the cost of the stadium.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Obviously the newer one is grander, more modern etc, but the magic of the old one will never be beaten. The entire middle tier is given over for corporates, the empty seats directly opposite the cameras for the opening england game, the extortionate ticket and mechandise prices (putting even the old wembley to shame!) the 'leg room'. Who gives a toss about legroom! I want a block of concrete to stand on, not somewhere to place my handbag.

The problem is there is so many namby pamby johnny-cum-latelys in football nowadays that they can fill the 90,000 seats in london no worries.

Nah, Give me old Wembley to new wembley. Give me the sex pistols to the spice girls too.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
The old Wembley had character, the new Wembley is just another generic stadium with a big arch incorporated. I dont really care if it has better facilities etc, etc, the old stadium had the magic.

·
946 Posts
The old Wembley had character, the new Wembley is just another generic stadium with a big arch incorporated. I dont really care if it has better facilities etc, etc, the old stadium had the magic.
Surely in 50years time this stadium will have the magic also? Do you really think when they built old Wembley nobody said it was bland and generic?

·
Registered
24,335 Posts
The new one is larger, safer and more adaptable to today's events and trends.

The old one obviously holds a lot of memories for people and has a lot of history to it.

It's like comparing an orange to a grapefruit.

·
Registered
Blackboard Monitor
19,212 Posts
New. Maybe because I don't really have many memories of the Old one because of my age:

I went to the old one once (happened to a great game, Charlton-Sunderland play-off final in 1998). My Dad took me and my brother as we'd never gone to Wembley before. Even for a small 13 year old Wembley seemed cramped and the view from the end we were in was not great. I was dissapointed by everything apart from the match tbh, but the match was great and Charlton won. I had a good day despite the stadium, not because of it.

I can't wait to get to the New Wembley.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Only sentimentality would make you chose 'older' - there's a few quibbles with the new stadium that grate a little, i.e. the distance between the pitch and the supporters, and that silly fence that springs up, and also the middle corporate sections, is having more of a negative effect that I initially thought....

..other than that the 'new' stadium is like comparing 'Gold' to 'Copper' in comparison with the old Wembley.

·
Paranoid
1,971 Posts
I wish they could have refurbished the old Wembly, in a similar way that the Olympiastadion was for the world cup, but it wasn't a viable option.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Only sentimentality would make you chose 'older' - there's a few quibbles with the new stadium that grate a little, i.e. the distance between the pitch and the supporters, and that silly fence that springs up, and also the middle corporate sections, is having more of a negative effect that I initially thought....

..other than that the 'new' stadium is like comparing 'Gold' to 'Copper' in comparison with the old Wembley.
It's not that that it is only sentimentality. I prefer the old Kop at Anfield to the new one. It's to do with which can help to best create an atmosphere conducive to football. The new stadium is Better, theres no doubt about that, but you could re-build the Albert Hall and it'd be an improvement on paper, but it doesnt mean that people would necessarily prefer it to the old one.

It's academic anyway, because the old Wembley has gone. It's true that the new wembley will gain in sentimentality, the way that the Millennium stadium grew on people in only 5/6 years of cup finals.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It's not that that it is only sentimentality. I prefer the old Kop at Anfield to the new one. It's to do with which can help to best create an atmosphere conducive to football. The new stadium is Better, theres no doubt about that, but you could re-build the Albert Hall and it'd be an improvement on paper, but it doesnt mean that people would necessarily prefer it to the old one.

It's academic anyway, because the old Wembley has gone. It's true that the new wembley will gain in sentimentality, the way that the Millennium stadium grew on people in only 5/6 years of cup finals.
Yes but it depends on which 'old' Wembley you mean. The old, old Wembley with masses of terracing or the 'old' wembley all seated? Of course you would prefer the old Kop to new Kop(I was on it last season and it was a soul-less bank of shite), but it's not new Wembley's fault that it can't have terracing. Imagine how cool the new one would be if ever they bring it back, being so much closer to the pitch. And it would probably hold around 110,000 even if they only ever converted the lower tiers at each end! I think it will be easier to assess in 20-30yrs., as it needs to be 'broken in' a little. Also, when the 10yr corporate seats in the middle tier are up, we might see an end to that debacle.

Anyway, it was still a hard decision, but I had to vote 'new'.

·
Cute but Psycho...
6,023 Posts
New one obviously, how anyone can say the old one is better i dont know, only thing it had was memories but thats not a tangible thing, the stadium was still falling apart.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Deffo the new one from every point of view, except the history obviously and the ridiculous number of corporate seats. When you see the effect this is having on Wembley at large as well it's very uplifting.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
The new Wembley is the best stadium in the world. The four poeple that voted for "old" are probably jealous Mancs or bitter Brummies who thought they should have built it there. ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
i wanted silver arch but assumed it was white so the could use coloured lights on it to change its colour, but they dont seem to do that which is a bit boring
should have it lit up white with blue running up and over it at a good speed back and forth making a good look effect

1 - 20 of 53 Posts