SkyscraperCity Forum banner
81 - 100 of 6297 Posts

·
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊
1,838 Posts
and people think 432 park is skinny... this one'll look more like a smokestack than a residential skyscraper :lol:
One apartment / floor. :D

If this breaks the 1000 feet mark, 57th Street will be the new supertall canyon. I think it already is (One57, 432PA, 225W)...

·
Premium Member
15,789 Posts
900ft? Wow, that would be alot for that ultra slim tower!
they can probably build on top of the next building they just bought.

·
Premium Member
15,789 Posts
If they acquired the Steinway, then the building should be twice as wide and won't look as fragile anymore. I'm for the building either way but any option that adds a supertall is preferred!
they bought Steinway, but they cannot alter it inside or destroy it. I think it is possible that they can add on top of it- but this is it.

·
The only way is up
90,512 Posts
^^ I can hardly believe that these buildings could carry the extra load.

All kinds of intriguing possibilities but the Steinway's facade is sacrosanct:

That 12 story building is a simple block and fill construction which is less malleable than steel for reworking so I'm guessing major retail component and maybe some sort of project integration to the back.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mention of this project in an article about a Miami project involving the same development company:

PMG is a partner with JDS Development in a project to build a tall, thin tower at 107 West 57th Street. along one of midtown Manhattan's major east-west streets. The joint venture last year bought the Steinway piano building next door at 109 West 57th, and plans to use the air rights of that historic structure to go higher at the 107 location. Just how high is subject to negotiation.

"We are committed to keeping the Steinway building and the landlord committments," said Maloney, whose firm has done scores of projects since it was founded in 1991. The developers, he added, want to keep the Steinway name on the building. The landmark structure includes an ornate rotunda that has served as an elegant showroom for Steinway pianos for decades.

http://southeast.construction.com/yb/se/article.aspx?story_id=184449488

Most mentions I see in the media call this project "107 W 57th", so maybe the thread title should change. I imagine that it will indeed be called 107, since that is easier to remember in conjunction with 57th Street.

·
Banned
4,606 Posts
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-with-steinway

NYC Tallest Condo Corridor Gets New Entrant in Steinway

By Oshrat Carmiel
May 07, 2013

Manhattan’s 57th Street, where the two tallest condominium towers in New York are under construction, is poised to get a third skyscraper with apartments perched above the city at near-record heights.

The buyers of Steinway Hall are in informal talks with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission and zoning officials about what they may build on the site, which includes the piano maker’s building and an adjacent parcel at 105-107 W. 57th St. that they purchased last year. The investors had plans for a 700-foot (213-meter) tower and now estimate that air rights acquired in the Steinway deal would allow them to go taller -- potentially as Manhattan’s third-tallest residential building.

“It will certainly be taller than 900 feet,” said Michael Stern, managing partner of JDS Development Group, which agreed in March to buy the 16-story Steinway Hall and land beneath it with Property Markets Group and Atlantic Development Group. “What its ultimate height will be is yet to be determined.”

...Plans for the combined site may include a condo tower with retail at the base or a hotel with condos above it. How Steinway Hall can be incorporated into the project is under discussion with landmarks and zoning officials, Stern and Maloney said. As a landmark, the building can’t be demolished. The eventual height of the tower, to be built at the 105-107 W. 57th St. site, is “not a contest to us,” Stern said. “We’re just going to try to find the most desirable configuration.”

...At 900 feet, JDS’s project would be about the height of the One Bryant Park office tower without its spire, and rank as New York’s third-tallest residential tower, according to Emporis.com, a website that collects data on skyscrapers....

·
Banned
345 Posts
An old college buddy of mine is doing consulting work for JDS and he said theyre strongly considering going for around 300 meters on this one because the meter value markets the building better towards foreign buyers on the metric system.

81 - 100 of 6297 Posts