Skyscraper City Forum banner
1161 - 1180 of 6279 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
But just think of all those shadows!

:troll:
I know it's beating a dead horse so sorry for brining up this topic again, but I'm still wondering - how much will these towers actually affect CP, I mean will there actually be any considerable shadowing? It's probably not that bad the NIMBYs or whoever want to prevent these buildings from happen make it out to be, but there must be some truth to it???

·
faster than buildings
10,325 Posts
^^ Too much whining and nagging. Back in the old days they were building the Equitable Building which was so large it casted too much shadow, then they made the rule that all tall buildings required setbacks. And most boxes in later decades also were set back from the street, now these towers are in the middle of their sites so not directly on the street, and they are very slim. And still they complain.:blahblah: You can never satisfy nimby's, unless you turn Manhattan into the swamp it used to be or something.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I made models of 111 west 57th street,520 Park Avenue, 220 Central Park south, tower verre, 432 park avenue, one57...Here you go enjoy! probably last time I do this for awhile. I enjoyed making them and btw these just rendering and they look all good together to me. I cant wait for the real deal :banana:

What l love the most about this is the fact the plateau is disappearing. Density with different heights.

·
rasorio caelum civitatem
1,310 Posts
I know it's beating a dead horse so sorry for brining up this topic again, but I'm still wondering - how much will these towers actually affect CP, I mean will there actually be any considerable shadowing? It's probably not that bad the NIMBYs or whoever want to prevent these buildings from happen make it out to be, but there must be some truth to it???
Obviously I was kidding, but there is some truth to it. Here's an article showing simulated shadows over Central Park. I'm sure it's fairly accurate, but remember that these effects are only applicable in the dead of winter when the sun is low in the sky. Additionally, the shadows are thin and continuously moving as the sun transits. So the diagrams are a bit misleading in that the same spots are not in shadow for long. In the warmer months when most people are using the park, the sun is high enough in the sky that the new towers won't really affect anything.

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
^^ Hmph, now these got me really intrigued because of the fact that the crown doesn't look like an open air lattice crown in these new pics. It looks like a solid crown like the one at 157. Solid crowns count towards roof height so if it would have a solid crown and would rise to 1 400 feet it might even beat 1WTC in height. Just imagine 3 thin residential towers beating 1WTC, all at the same street. 57th is indeed becoming the skyscraper center of New York City :drool:

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
^^ I completely agree with you. The design is innovative, yet has many traditional features, it is unique, yet not chaotic. It is indeed a masterpiece of architecture and I can't wait to see it rise :drool:

1161 - 1180 of 6279 Posts