Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There are so many variables it's really hard to say. Which of the designs will be chosen or possibly will there be answer design? When will the construction start and end? How much special interior work will be required for the anchor tenant? Until there are answers and many other questions any cost estimate will just be speculation.
Thanks. Yeah, it's really impossible to know right now. Could end up being the most expensive building of the complex the way things are going.

Shame we're coming up on almost six months since the news corp deal fell through and still nothing.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The final height and even the final design are still up in the air for this building and will be until a major tenet is found in construction begins. We may not know the final height until it's complete.
There could also still be some potential design modifications to BIG's tower if it goes through. Still a lot of unknowns.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
YIMBY article was spot on. Foster's building made the complex IMO, and was a perfect complement to it's neighbors. Totally restored the skyline and really made up for the loss of the former one. Was and still am hopeful to one day visit the site again when completed and see Foster's masterpiece towering over lower manhattan.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I believe the odds are much better for Foster's design. Who would pay for new foundations? I can here the meeting now: "This design over here will cost $100 million more and take 1.5 years longer because we have to reconstruct the base. This one over here is ready to go."
If only... :lol:

Makes me wish they had built more of the ground level structure like they did with WTC3 to ensure this tower would one day rise.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well nothing is set in stone until an anchor tenant is found. I believe Foster's tower is still the cheaper and faster option?

Also, to what extent will Foster's foundations have to be modified if they go with BIG's tower? What potential changes might be made to that design? How much will it cost? How long will it take? Could there really be a full demolition of everything that has already been built or is it not as bad as some are making it out to seem? Simply far too many unknowns right now.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Actually, the latest revision to BIG's tower back in Feburary would require them to completely redo the existing foundation.
Wow! I don't remember reading confirmation of this? Assumed it was technically feasible to build BIG's tower on the site, just more complicated/expensive.

What a mess if true :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If the office space in BIG's tower is supposedly that much better than Foster's than it will be what rises unfortunately. Don't really get what's so bad about Foster's interiors other than it was geared more towards banks/financial institutions.

Clearly many of us would like to see this tower rise here. It's foundations are already in place and ready to go but no one seems to want it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Would be even nicer if someone came to their senses and builds the design that was meant for this location and is already built up to ground level... but that's just wishful thinking unfortunately :hahano:

I'm guessing that regardless of which design is chosen, there won't be another six months that passes without the signing of a tenant?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Was there ever an official cost estimate released for Foster's version of 2WTC? I know the estimate for BIG's tower was $4 billion back in August but all I ever heard for Foster's is that it was the 2nd most expensive in the complex behind 1WTC.

I can't see it being as or more expensive than BIG's design.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That's great to know! So now can we bring Foster's design back?! We should start a petition to bring back Foster's design!!
Were you around when the new design was unveiled? It was absolute chaos around here with many members suggesting just that.

I definitely agree with you and want Foster's tower to rise here but unfortunately it all comes down to what the potential tenant wants, not us. Unless of course we can gather up a few billion dollars and anchor it ourselves :lol:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Looking at Foster's 2WTC in google earth within the context of the skyline, there's just no comparison. It was bound to become a new icon for the site/city. Just a masterpiece of a tower gracing the prow of lower manhattan. It would make way more sense financially to stick with the original plan and would probably be done faster as well.

It would truly suck if Foster's tower does not end up rising here which seems a real possibility atm.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I guess, but I just can't see them altering the diamonds very much if they stick with Foster's plan as it was such a fundamental part of the design. They were designed that way to point down to the memorial as a perpetual point of reference. They would likely end up cutting height or something.

Besides, Foster's is a $3.5 billion tower vs BIG's which is already estimated to be $4 billion. Sticking with the original plan would already be a cost cutting measure lol.

Considering how other projects at the site went over budget, one can only imagine how expensive Ingles's tower ends up being (especially if the foundation issues are true). Who knows how much value-engineering happens to that one as well when all is said and done. It could end up as just a simple glass box.

Just a waiting game now for a potential tenant to decide which way this tower goes.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The latest renderings and detailed floor plans released for BIG's 2WTC on Silverstein's website does not look good for Foster's tower ever returning. There's even options for financial tenants now... :eek:hno:

I guess unless a specific tenant requests Foster's tower, may need to give up hope of it ever returning. :( :no:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
People who say anything other than this being godawful beyond description are surely on one drug or another.

A single tower may not be able to "ruin" a skyline, but definitely can do a lot of damage to it.
YUCK! :yuck: :eek:hno:

That's probably my least favorite angle which was Foster's best. What a travesty compared to the original design. The day construction starts on BIG's 2WTC is the day I give up on this complex for good.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't care what style this is, it's not nearly as nice or elegant as Foster's tower.

The other towers in the complex were originally intended for banks/financial firms and they got media tenants. So why should two (the best of them all) be any different? Especially considering the only tenant who had a problem with the design is no longer on board. They may have had trouble leasing Foster's tower but I still don't see anyone signing the dotted line for BIG's tower either.

Just tweak Foster's tower for media companies demands and be on their way. It's the same square footage anyway and it already has it's lobby in place...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Can they just remove the overhanging bits

Because what makes it look bad is the way it overhangs and makes it look like its leaning
Can they just remove everything? Lol

I don't like anything about this building no matter how much I look at it. Even just a box or a glass version of the south tower would be nicer. I just wish they could work with or tweak Foster's tower and make it more appealing to other types of tenants.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
They are currently negotiating with several different companies, and they even have the possbility of a signing by the end of the year. Nothing is official at this point, so just remember that.

Also, it's pretty much guarenteed at this point that the BIG design is staying.
Ugh, just painful to hear :eek:hno:

RIP Foster design.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts