SkyscraperCity banner

6841 - 6860 of 6878 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome news! Now let's hope we don't get one of the "generic" buildings envisioned in the very first Freedom Tower design:

·
Registered
9,372 Posts

·
Get Silly!
2,405 Posts
Significant modifications- I bet we will see something boxier and less elegant. The roof detailing will likely be reduced or removed.
Not that I expected them to proceed as originally planned.

I wonder if they will salvage the existing foundations.

·
It was aliens
4,517 Posts
Significant modifications- I bet we will see something boxier and less elegant. The roof detailing will likely be reduced or removed.

Yea, considering that the top of WTC is unfinished I wouldn't be surprised if they cheaped out. I remain cautiously (like really cautiously) optimistic and really am just glad something in the 400 meter range will finally fill this gap.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yea, considering that the top of WTC is unfinished I wouldn't be surprised if they cheaped out. I remain cautiously (like really cautiously) optimistic and really am just glad something in the 400 meter range will finally fill this gap.
'They' being totally different entities between Tower 1 and 2WTC, not sure what relevance the spire's unclad nature has here.

·
Registered
227 Posts

I imagine they will keep the foundations, so the plan/footprint will not change much. I'm guessing most changes will be to the facade, overall massing, and tower top if there are significant changes at all.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think that's probably the biggest reason they're returning to Foster's design—the foundation is already built. Ripping that up and starting all over wouldn't just take significantly more time and money, it would likely infuriate Westfield, who refused to even put retail space in 3WTC until the tower portion was completed. Imagine ripping up the mall's HVAC!

·
i ♥ NY
4,888 Posts
^^ True, if this one gets a purely steel structure instead of a concrete/steel structure we could see this rising as fast as One Vanderbilt and top out in about 1,5 years time from the start of construction. Its about time the site gets done.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Just take Fosters design as it is and build it. It fits in perfectly and looks great the way it is.
Yeah, I really don't understand the argument that the Foster design vs BIG or something else isn't usable or appropriate for today's tenants. It's gonna have the same 13-14 foot floor heights, large floor plates, etc that virtually every other major office tower going up at the moment has.

Ok, BIG's design has more floors with bigger floor plates, and lots of terraces throughout. My experience in high altitude, outdoor observation decks is their windy, cold, and noisy. Might be nice for a quick vape or smoke. But not much else. I've worked with female coworkers who skip walking outside during lunches when it's windy just cause they don't want to mess up their hair. :lol:

I just don't see the big appeal.

·
Kinky Christian
3,140 Posts
Would't they have to demolish the foundations for that? I think so far one of their major concerns was, not being able to build the heavier BIG tower on the foundations they already have for the Foster's tower.

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,216 Posts
Was that because the BIG design was overall too heavy, or because the column/core configuration was not compatible with the existing foundations? I remember the very first iterations of BIG's tower involved a very complex transfer structure to adapt to the existing foundations, but it was quietly scrapped later on.

6841 - 6860 of 6878 Posts