SkyscraperCity banner

6861 - 6879 of 6879 Posts

·
16,346 Posts
I must be excited for the redesign, because I had a dream of this tower. 1274ft/388m. The sloped roof was still there but no pyramidal spire.

Closest thing I would compare it to would be the Vietin Bank Tower, but retaining the shape of the original design's footprint

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I trust Foster 100% on this. The man has barely had ugly designs in his whole career. I'm confident he will deliver something great as usual.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
ridiculous. Don't buy into fearmongering.
Who's fear mongering? The Dow had its biggest drop ever this week. That stuff can make investors a bit jumpy. Whether or not you think the outbreak is something to worry about doesn't matter. Its whether or not the people who count the money feel its something to worry about, which clearly they do. Such an attitude can cause real estate investment money dry up in a big hurry.

·
16,346 Posts
Who's fear mongering? The Dow had its biggest drop ever this week. That stuff can make investors a bit jumpy. Whether or not you think the outbreak is something to worry about doesn't matter. Its whether or not the people who count the money feel its something to worry about, which clearly they do. Such an attitude can cause real estate investment money dry up in a big hurry.
The market has also seen record highs this past year, so a large dip brought on by uncertainty is nothing shocking for RE investors. The money will continue to flow in NYC as it always has.

·
Registered
230 Posts
^^Hope you're right. But COVID-19 might have something to say about it, unfortunately. :(
As long as we're getting into it.... it's called corona virus because it has a crown-like ring around it at a microscopic level. Coincidence that the city of Wuhan cut the crown off of the ASGG Wuhan Greenland Tower? I think not.

I think the virus started at the Wuhan Greenland Tower, and they decided to cut the crown to prevent bad publicity. But unfortunately the virus spread anyway.

Real news, read up on it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Foster is past it, seen his recent work? Its boring as rocks. You wanna get a good architect for this place? There's far better than him.
Its almost like he was insulted at how little enthusiasm there was for his brilliant 2 WTC design and as a bit of revenge he just gives NYC clients the most boring buildings as a consequence.

·
Always looking up
1,817 Posts
Its almost like he was insulted at how little enthusiasm there was for his brilliant 2 WTC design and as a bit of revenge he just gives NYC clients the most boring buildings as a consequence.
I believe you are in the minority thinking is defined for 2 WTC was a brilliant design. From what I've read here and other places more people disliked it than liked it. The Foster design certainly didn't fit in with the other buildings in the complex.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I believe you are in the minority thinking is defined for 2 WTC was a brilliant design. From what I've read here and other places more people disliked it than liked it. The Foster design certainly didn't fit in with the other buildings in the complex.
No it was widely regarded as an excellent design pretty much everywhere.

The only skepticism that existed was how feasible it would be to actually build. Even when groundworks were underway there was widespread reticence to fully get on board with it as a Thing That Will Actually Be Built. That turned out to be prudent, as it was never going to be finished in those circumstances.

I've said it before, and it's been said a million other times by much smarter people too, but architecture that doesn't leave the drawing board isn't actually architecture. It's just a doodle.

Buildings have to actually be built, and factoring in the cost and complexity of a design is at least 50% of the job, possibly more. Interesting designs, art, opulence, awe. These are bonuses.

That's why some of his more recent designs have been... for want of a better word: pragmatic. Boring designs go up in months. Interesting ones sit in a filing cabinet for years.

I'd rather have an uninteresting blue box on that site than a literal hole in the ground. It's been 19 years for ****'s sake.

·
Always looking up
1,817 Posts
No it was widely regarded as an excellent design pretty much everywhere.
People may have thought with an excellent design in some circles but not for this site. If you read back thru the thread you will see that the majority of people didn't like the new design compared to the original one that was done by Foster.

·
15,822 Posts
Foster is past it, seen his recent work? Its boring as rocks. You wanna get a good architect for this place? There's far better than him.
Dude, I have got to be joking ;)

·
16,346 Posts
a noteworthy perspective from someone who is no stranger to adversity in reshaping Manhattan's office market.

The Silverstein Properties chairman recalled that after 9/11, “the degree of negativity that floated down around us was palpable and I felt an enormous need to counter it. One of the ways I countered it was to go right into construction on 7 World Trade Center. And as that building rose people kept telling me it would never be financed, never be tenanted. Then we got it leased and financed and it became an enormous financial success and an architectural success.

He added “there are always a million naysayers around, there are always those who will tell you, ‘You’ll never recover from this, the city will never be the same. Our lives are forever changed.’ And happily, it’s not the case. I don’t think New York will change that extraordinarily.”

[...]

The 88-year-old developer believes newer properties like the World Trade Center complex, which offers tenants more purified air than most older buildings, will continue to draw companies looking for more clean, healthful space operated by responsible landlords. Silverstein said he’s looking at new cleaning protocols, ways to enforce social distancing in small areas like elevators, and temperature readers at the building entrances. Two World Trade Center will soon be a reality, and it will embody the forefront of virus-resistant and touchless tech, he said.

6861 - 6879 of 6879 Posts