Skyscraper City Forum banner
7081 - 7100 of 7154 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Many will disagree with me, but although the first design with the diamonds will forever be the most pleasing design for this site. I can't help but feel like I'd rather have BIG's design instead of this. It looked much cleaner than this new design, and I liked the relationship it had with tower one. This new design to me just looks like a half completed version of the original design. Like they just decided to quit building during mid construction, capped it off in different spots, leaving the remaining core poking out the top, and attempting to make it a architectural feature. I like the building's design itself, but I don't think it's worthy enough for this site. It looks like it's meant to be the tallest building in Texas or something and not tower two of the world trade center. I understand that it's the most practical design due to the foundations already being constructed and everything. But I just think because this is tower two it should have a more interesting design that kind of mingles with tower one, which to me this does not. But hey maybe this isn't the actual design, and maybe things might change. So I won't throw all hope out the window for this tower's design yet.

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
2,013 Posts
I would rank this below BIG's design and 20,000 leagues below the original Foster diamonds. Again, it would look fine built anywhere else, but it fails to take advantage of its central location in the WTC site's skyline. The top is way too cluttered in relation to every other building in the complex.

For all we know though, this may just be one of many design iterations that Foster's team has gone through.

·
Urban Hermit
5,549 Posts
Very corporate and filler, which perfectly matches all its value-engineered neighbours. Pretty much like a regular second tallest in a Chinese "instant skyline" megaproject in some previously unknown city. Unfortunately I think it also means the rather nice looking recent 5WTC design will transform into budget architecture somewhere along the way.

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,603 Posts
pretty nice design, they did some weird setback choices, would look nicer if it was more uniform, but all in all very fitting for the area and hopefully means this project can finally get resurrected after all these years!

Reactions: Ecopolisia

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
pretty nice design, they did some weird setback choices, would look nicer if it was more uniform, but all in all very fitting for the area and hopefully means this project can finally get resurrected after all these years!
I know many will probably disagree with me but I was thinking it would be kind of cool if the tops of each of the cutaways would tie in to the World Financial Center buildings. possibly look like a total mess. My second thought would have been if all the WTC buildings (excluding 1) would have emulated the WFC tops. Just a passing thought.

Reactions: Ecopolisia

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm starting to call this design fake.

There's only that one single website that is carrying the news, and even that one says anonymous tipster. We haven't had any official annoucement from the architect or his firm or his website either. I know Silverstein said he was keeping the design a secret until they signed a deal with an anchor tenant, but then again, these photos don't look so official either. There's no render, the architect himself isn't standing next to them, and as other people pointed out, it looks like they were taken in a dirty warehouse basement.

In any case, the bottom half of this is the same shape as Foster's original, so they can still go back to it even if they've started building.

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
2,013 Posts
I wouldn't put any weight on the details of the wooden context model, I don't expect it to be wholly accurate as it is not the subject of the model. 3 and 1 both have off-looking proportions, and the further surrounding buildings are even less detailed and proportionate (look at 10 Barclay and the Transportation Building). This could well be a context model they've had in storage for a long time from earlier presentations, with just the working model of 2WTC swapped out.

The basement location could mean anything- my guess is that it was in storage at some office between presentations/meetings, and the anonymous tipster is someone not directly involved in the design firm but with shared access to the storage space. It would be far too much effort for a complete hoax- that large model definitely looks like it was made to "wow" executives or clients.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't put any weight on the details of the wooden context model, I don't expect it to be wholly accurate as it is not the subject of the model. 3 and 1 both have off-looking proportions, and the further surrounding buildings are even less detailed and proportionate (look at 10 Barclay and the Transportation Building). This could well be a context model they've had in storage for a long time from earlier presentations, with just the working model of 2WTC swapped out.

The basement location could mean anything- my guess is that it was in storage at some office between presentations/meetings, and the anonymous tipster is someone not directly involved in the design firm but with shared access to the storage space. It would be far too much effort for a complete hoax- that large model definitely looks like it was made to "wow" executives or clients.
Oh for sure. That model wasn't just created to visualize an idea. A lot of work went into that. Either it is a serious design or it was a serious design.

·
Registered
35 Posts
in storage at some office between presentations/meetings, and the anonymous tipster is someone not directly involved in the design firm but with shared access to the storage space- that large model definitely looks like it was made to "wow" executives or clients.
Either it is a serious design or it was a serious design.
Perhaps this is only one of many designs that are being tossed around between the architects and the developers. Maybe there's different designs being stored somewhere that only the top of the top have access to, this could have just as easily been an extra copy or a discarded design they had lying around.
If Tower One is any indication, well.....

Again, the only way to know for sure what the design will be is to wait for the press release.

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
20,735 Posts
I'm starting to call this design fake.

There's only that one single website that is carrying the news, and even that one says anonymous tipster. We haven't had any official annoucement from the architect or his firm or his website either.
The anonymous source is probably the same person who leaked Foster's 270 Park design to YIMBY. That leak turned out to be genuine. It could be somebody within Foster and Partners, AAI Architects, or a different party working on the project.

·
Registered Kibitzer
226 Posts
I would rank this below BIG's design and 20,000 leagues below the original Foster diamonds. Again, it would look fine built anywhere else, but it fails to take advantage of its central location in the WTC site's skyline. The top is way too cluttered in relation to every other building in the complex.

For all we know though, this may just be one of many design iterations that Foster's team has gone through.
As In "Dude, we got money...we ain't got MONEY. Do you know praying mantis...er, I mean value engineering?"
Those diamonds were sweet while they lasted. Apparently, they aren't just not a girl's best friend anymore, but Foster's!:ROFLMAO::mad:

7081 - 7100 of 7154 Posts