Skyscraper City Forum banner
7101 - 7120 of 7154 Posts
93 Posts
This leaked design is super generic. It's like a budget build of the original diamond design, except no diamonds. It's basically the epitome of how this complex turned out compared to initial plans. It's a decent design, but it doesn't belong on this location.

The original diamond design complimented the complex the best from all angles, especially from the south and most importantly the East River.

The stacked box design was aggressively more iconic and I can't believe I miss that one now. It too looked decent from the East River.

All things considered, the downtown skyline as seen from the East River will look like a mess in a few years due to this complex and other projects. Nothing will ever beat the silhouette the boxy twins gave the view more than two decades ago.

·
Ukraine
125 Posts
This leaked design is super generic. It's like a budget build of the original diamond design, except no diamonds. It's basically the epitome of how this complex turned out compared to initial plans. It's a decent design, but it doesn't belong on this location.

The original diamond design complimented the complex the best from all angles, especially from the south and most importantly the East River.

The stacked box design was aggressively more iconic and I can't believe I miss that one now. It too looked decent from the East River.

All things considered, the downtown skyline as seen from the East River will look like a mess in a few years due to this complex and other projects. Nothing will ever beat the silhouette the boxy twins gave the view more than two decades ago.
totally agree with you!

if they scrapped diamonds design and change it to this simple and bland tower... it will be great pity

·
Registered
992 Posts
Amen brother. This was simply the greatest skyline ever crafted by humanity...

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
If this is indeed the design, I think it's a shame not to express the floorplates' hexagonal shape (which from afar appear almost curved) in the building's crown. I had been hoping for something akin to the crown of Guangzhou CTF, which has similarly shaped floorplates. Like -- just imagine this shape gesturing gracefully upwards towards the peak of One WTC to the left of frame.

wonderfulengineering

As I've said above, I think the leaked design is a decent tower, but it's definitely underwhelming given the prominence of the site.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's basically the epitome of how this complex turned out compared to initial plans. It's a decent design, but it doesn't belong on this location.
They shaved off tower 3's antennas + top floors, they peeled apart Tower 1's spire, and now they want to get rid of the diamonds.

So now the least prominent buildings in the complex are the only ones that have their original design...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Really great rendering, thank you

And more sketches generated by TK200 on yimby
View attachment 2405155
View attachment 2405156
View attachment 2405157
Yeah, quite better with these new images/sketches, but it's slightly or a slim one. Now it's more like should I fully like it or should I fully dislike it. Ambivalent it's. And, that have' caused it for me to think that It's kind of in-between now.

Therefore, it might at least for me(and, perhaps the majority here as well) be acceptable at the end of the day, more it has so far and even more than, regardless which post I saw this possibly/perhaps newly revised design of WTC2 within it in this thread, than the BIG's one..
Besides, I'd fully love the long-waited reemerged height increase of it, though.

Finally,then again as Neptuninabuilder nicely and in fact objectively pointed out much earlier is that it might not be the final result of a design at the end of the day as well and therefore our conclusions so far or for the time being for it is not valid or complete enough to do so..Yeah... 🤷‍♂️😉✌💎🌈

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,603 Posts
The above renderings look much better than the model first posted. That goes to show that it's better to wait for official renderings to be posted before judging imo. This is not going to be as iconic as Foster's diamonds but will still be a decently nice tower, I believe.
oddly enough i am of the exact opposite opinion, i thought the model looked great, but these renderings make me much more worried

·
hmmm......
New York
10,928 Posts
oddly enough i am of the exact opposite opinion, i thought the model looked great, but these renderings make me much more worried
Yes, this still indicates that our opinions are highly susceptible to the materials used in the cladding and that we should wait for renderings before having such strong feelings and opinions on the project

·
Registered
386 Posts
Because it's much easier to commute to. The subway ride from GCT to the HY is short, and it's on a new line that's not very busy. By contrast, the subway ride from GCT to the WTC is long. Also, lot's of time, there's track traffic, and the subway just stops and sits on the tracks. Therefore, if you want to catch a 7:30 train, you need to allocate extra time to get to GCT. That's why the new buildings around Grand Central are really in demand. There's no subway at all.

7101 - 7120 of 7154 Posts