Skyscraper City Forum banner
7141 - 7160 of 7326 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
20,908 Posts
Does anyone know whether there was a design change with the original Two WTC as well, since it was first published in 2006?

Does anyone know why 3 WTC underwent this last-minute design change as well? Was it a cost- and labor-saving decision, or finding out as it did with the spire of One WTC it wasn't going to work and cause danger?

What do you mean with "value engineered"?
1) There was an aesthetic change to the facade, it was originally envisioned to have much darker glass. That changed somewhere along the line before BIG came into the picture. The height was always 1348'. BIG's design was 1323' according to CTBUH.

2) They said it was to make the campus more cohesive in design since BIG's Tower 2 was going to have a flat roof, rather than terminating at a point like Foster's. That's likely an excuse for value engineering, since they don't have to pay for the construction of additional architectural features.

3) Cost-cutting from the original vision to the final design.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Like this project. I wish a speedy start of construction and completion WTC site.

View attachment 2437813

original: Lower Manhattan at sunset by @KSayeghPhoto | New york travel, Lower manhattan, New york pictures
From this angle it's not so bad. Whereas BIG's design is a BIG, fat no! and giving it an F! While the original design by Lord Norman Foster giving it an A! ... and the apparent current redesign a B (+ or -), or C+ at best. We just have to wait and see for official renderings when they come. For now it's still speculation, on the basis of those models we saw at some dumpster apparently a short while ago. No credible and hard proof yet.

1) There was an aesthetic change to the facade, it was originally envisioned to have much darker glass. That changed somewhere along the line before BIG came into the picture. The height was always 1348'. BIG's design was 1323' according to CTBUH.
I see. What did you prefer, dark or light glass? I must admit the darker glass does give the original design a more fancy/sexy look. Also, making it stand out better, between the design and look of Three and Four WTC.

2) They said it was to make the campus more cohesive in design since BIG's Tower 2 was going to have a flat roof, rather than terminating at a point like Foster's. That's likely an excuse for value engineering, since they don't have to pay for the construction of additional architectural features.
Thanks for the explanation of what value engineering is, using an example. That way, the spires on top of Three WTC, which would have made it 1,240 feet (378 m) tall, but without it, 1152 ft (351.2 m), were removed as part of value engineering as well. However, why has the roof of Three WTC been reduced from 1152 ft to1,079 feet (329 m)? What was removed, like an observation platform or restaurants and did it involve value engineering as well?

3) Cost-cutting from the original vision to the final design.
In response to Three WTC or One WTC? For I was wondering about why they never designed a stronger and more suited spire on top of One WTC? Bearing in mind wind-tunnel testing was showing the current design was flawed and as a consequence too dangerous to complete. In reference to the "fabric" that was going to be installed around the spire.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you scroll deeper in you can see some graphics that feature silverstein properties' events email, which might indicate that silverstein properties have hired this firm to assist with graphical design. But I assume there would be some NDA applied if that was the case. Either way its interesting because the renders and graphics are very detailed.

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
20,908 Posts
Nice sleuthing. Stuff like this happens all the time where an artist or somebody else tangentially involved uploads images of a project to their profiles not intending for it to be disseminated but then somebody comes across it.
The detailed renderings look different from the model leaked to YIMBY, but they share similarities.

·
Registered
16 Posts
An interesting site I found that depicts a 4th 2wtc design with a lot of details:
This almost feels like if BIGs design wasn't terrible. Like it's still stacked boxes but slightly more tasteful I guess. Saying that, BIGs influence still can be felt with this... to the point that it would not surprise me if this is actually an alternative BIG design. It just feels like one in a way I can't really explain, beyond it just being a cross between his 2wtc and The Spiral.

I don't actually hate it

I guess one other thing to add is this sure as hell ain't a Foster design.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Site wouldn't let me zoom in, so it's just this tiny image. Anyways, it looks like it has the same setbacks as the YIMBY model from this angle, but a different top. A little refinement i guess?
That's the thing. I don't think this is a refinement of the Foster design. I don't think this is a foster design at all. The way the renderings look and the way the building itself is designed just screams BIG to me. I think this is potentially an alternative design they may have provided at some point. Hard to say whether it was before or after their other design though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dont think its a foster design.
Could be a scrapped concept involving another architect if we assume that this graphic design firm have been hired by silverstein properties (which is unclear).
The leaked model from YIMBY however, fits under all the critetias silverstein mentioned since 2020 (modified to more "contemporary" needs and taste, bottom relies on the original design and existing base, etc.) so I dont believe the speculations that its scrapped. I do hope they remove that top part sticking out. If they design the terraces to follow a blocky pattern similar to the diamond roof it would have been better, and its not too far from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be a scrapped concept involving another architect if we assume that this graphic design firm have been hired by silverstein properties (which is unclear).
The leaked model from YIMBY however, fits under all the critetias silverstein mentioned since 2020 (modified to more "contemporary" needs and taste, bottom relies on the original design and existing base, etc.) so I dont believe the speculations that its scrapped. I do hope they remove that top part sticking out. If they design the terraces to follow a blocky pattern similar to the diamond roof it would have been better, and its not too far from it.
I think it's the final design, in 2021, a Silverstein spokesperson announced that the skyscraper is "being redesigned by Foster & Partners to be the healthiest and most sustainable building on the planet. YIMBY representation has no trees and no terraces

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it's the final design, in 2021, a Silverstein spokesperson announced that the skyscraper is "being redesigned by Foster & Partners to be the healthiest and most sustainable building on the planet. YIMBY representation has no trees and no terraces
Having trees on terraces isn't what makes a building sustainable. In reality, it actually detracts from that to an extent thanks to the need to keep those tree watered. Sustainability is about resource efficiency. Does it use less electricity and less water? How damaging to the environment is it to construct? How are the construction materials manufactured? How do people travel to and from the building? Getting the right answers to those questions is what makes a building sustainable. Sticking trees on a building helps the perception because green=good it seems, but they have absolutely nothing to do with how sustainable a building is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The YIMBY representation has many terraces (the fact that they have no trees doesnt mean anything, however the podium's rooftop has trees) (the whole thing relies on new setbacks that screw the old diamond design), and the 2-3 floors below those terraces feature some atriums.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Still prefer this one, because, it continues to provide the best effort to make the WTC site whole again. Giving it more meaning and purpose, with the Calatrava Hub, playing with the light and the designs of every building, including 4 WTC.:

We know Fulton Street will never go public. So, once again my mind wonders why it was necessary to build those streets to intersect the 16 acre sit. Just making it seem disconnected instead of connected:

Found an interesting, still existing link showing Lord Norman Foster's own entry to the post-2002 WTC design competition and 2 WTC itself eventually as well: Foster and Partners to build Tower 2 at World Trade Center

It's memorial design appearing similar to Michael Arad's one:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just noticed that if you look closer into the "editorial design-page types" section of the website that features the 4th design, you can see a page featuring norman foster. So perhaps this design is done by foster and partners as well?
There is another page design sample next to it where the firm's name is mentioned above a model of the complex, too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just noticed that if you look closer into the "editorial design-page types" section of the website that features the 4th design, you can see a page featuring norman foster. So perhaps this design is done by foster and partners as well?
There is another page design sample next to it where the firm's name is mentioned above a model of the complex, too.
I'll admit, I don't see the logo, but that picture is almost certainly of Norman Foster, and it looks like there's some text above it that reads "Lord Norman Foster"

This may actually be the design guys.

7141 - 7160 of 7326 Posts