SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Excelsior!
21,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the JDS-SHoP combo strikes again... right next to another Extell project.

The Lo-Down : (Exclusive) JDS Development/SHoP Reveal Plans For 77-Story Two Bridges Tower

[...]
The project is being accomplished by demolishing a small community center on Cherry Street, nestling the 900-foot tower alongside an existing senior housing building and cantilevering a portion of the new construction over the old pharmacy property. The footprint for the tower will be about 9,000 square feet.
[...]
renderings:

·
Registered
133 Posts
doubt they will rezone. NYC is in a feeding frenzy right now. I don't recall the city shutting down any developments recently. Yea they made Vandy 1 have a lot of strings attached but if anything they are looking to open up more. I wont be surprised if once Hudson is well underway (PH1 done) the city looks to open up Hell's Kitchen. It going to look like an awkward square low area.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hells Kitchen will not be upzoned. The NIMBYs would go nuts if someone even dares.
Besides there is plenty of other areas that should be considered before that, the area around the ESB and Madison Square Park or even areas around the LES/Chinatown which I really think are underdeveloped and could get a huge boost by being upzoned.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hells Kitchen will not be upzoned. The NIMBYs would go nuts if someone even dares.
Besides there is plenty of other areas that should be considered before that, the area around the ESB and Madison Square Park or even areas around the LES/Chinatown which I really think are underdeveloped and could get a huge boost by being upzoned.
Well you would probably know better than me.

Its just once hudson yards is final Hell's kitchen is going to be a hole in the middle of the city. I personally think Chelsea, Greenwich Village and East Village will not be changed much(I am strickly talking about getting 500ft+ developments). Also Upper West and East Side(slim chance once the subway is complete we might get a slight up zoning). I also think Murray Hill/Kips Bay really take off once the 2nd Ave subway is complete.

·
faster than buildings
10,325 Posts
Speaking of holes, right in the middle of Midtown between Bryant Park/43rd, the Metlife Building, Rockefeller Center and Ave of the Americas is a gaping lowrise area. There is room for something big.

·
Urban Hermit
Skyscraper fan from the trailer park
5,629 Posts
jes!!
central park is ripe for development too
:picard:
I mean, of course even though I've never been to NYC I know the area at the north end of Central Park isn't the most upscale in comparison to the others, but sometimes I think if people complain about tall towers casting shadows on Central Park, they should build the tall towers at the north end, no worrying about the sun shining from the north. :lol:

Ideally you'd have the park surrounded by towers from all sides.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I mean, of course even though I've never been to NYC I know the area at the north end of Central Park isn't the most upscale in comparison to the others, but sometimes I think if people complain about tall towers casting shadows on Central Park, they should build the tall towers at the north end, no worrying about the sun shining from the north. :lol:

Ideally you'd have the park surrounded by towers from all sides.
gonna take a few more decades of gentrification before property values in Harlem warrant supertalls... last I check price per square foot still well under 1,000. Also the lack over east-west subway connects does not help.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Behemoth on the Backside: Proposed Cherry Street Tower to Reach 1000 Feet
http://www.boweryboogie.com/2016/06/behemoth-backside-proposed-cherry-street-tower-reach-1000-feet/

Extell tends to hog headlines when conversations arise about the changing skyline on the Lower East Side waterfront. Their market-rate tower – One Manhattan Square – will reach peak height of some 80 stories. But the real behemoth is on the backside, so to speak. The Cherry Street tower that will trounce the nearby senior center, thanks its own sponsors Two Bridges Neighborhood Council and Settlement Housing (“Two Bridgeset”).

Yes, the community was led to believe that the new 247 Cherry is “smaller” in scope at 77 stories. The truth of the matter, however, is that this number only referred to the liveable residential component. In actuality, its true height is really at or above 1,000 feet, dwarfing both Extell (823 feet) a[\B]and the 107-year-old Manhattan Bridge (336 feet) in one fell swoop. And it’s literally built on the backs of seniors (i.e. Two Bridges Senior Center).

Check out this architectural rendering from City Planning. The roof sits at 983 feet, but factoring in the parapet will presumably add even more height.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
DCP will review JDS’ 1,000-foot LES tower after all
http://therealdeal.com/2016/08/25/dcp-will-review-jds-1000-foot-les-tower-after-all/

UPDATED, Aug. 25, 4:27 p.m.: The Department of City Planning will review JDS Development’s proposal to build a 1,000-foot tall tower in the Lower East Side, reversing its earlier position.
The agency had initially said it wouldn’t move forward with the project, citing a rival development and lawsuits by Park-It Management’s Gary Spindler and developer Roy Schoenberg. But on Tuesday the agency sent a letter to JDS saying it will review it after all because Spindler and Schoenberg withdrew their application to build on a neighboring site.
The two developers recently sued JDS, accusing it of “hijacking” air rights they were in contract to buy. According to the complaint, Spindler and Schoenberg signed a contract to buy 235 Cherry Street from two nonprofits, Settlement Housing Fund and Two Bridges Neighborhood Council, in 2012 with plans to build an affordable housing development. But the organizations later canceled the contract and sold the property’s air rights to JDS instead.
Michael Stern’s firm plans to build an 80-story rental tower at 80 Rutgers Slip, which will rise next to Extell development’s condo tower One Manhattan Square. [Crain’s] – Konrad Putzier

·
Registered
485 Posts
Skyscraper Proposed at 247 Cherry Moves Forward

After plans were unveiled earlier this year for a 77-storey addition to the Manhattan skyline, The Department of City Planning has finally decided to move forward on the application. Leading New York City builder JDS Development is behind the project at 247 Cherry Street, which will feature a design by SHoP Architects.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.