SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
40-story condo replacing Madison Avenue Baptist Church parish house Certes Partners purchased the site for $15.5 million in June
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/02/19/40-story-condo-replacing-madison-ave-baptist-church-parish-house/#sthash.8i7BWb54.dpuf

The historic Madison Avenue Baptist Church parish house in NoMad will be torn down to make way for a 40-story condominium building developed by Ekstein Development Group, according to property records filed with the city today. Certes Partners purchased the site at 30 East 31st Street for $15.5 million last June.

Ekstein Development Group’s Erik Ekstein, in partnership with Pinnacle Real Estate, is planning to develop a $90 million condo building on the property.

The new building will be 71,500 square feet and contain 38 units. The second through eighth floors will each hold half-floor apartments, while the ninth through 31st floors will have floor-through apartments, documents show. Floors 32 through 37 will house duplexes.

The property will also include a community room, a fitness facility and a bike storage room. Morris Adjmi is the architect of record. Ekstein filed permits to tear down the seven-story parish on the site in September.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I agree, but money rules..:eek:hno:..Soon NY will be for the wealthy only. The number of wealthy foreign codo buyers has seen a big increase. The US is seen as a safe country for stability hence investment, and NY is a big draw.

·
City Development Shitlord
1,569 Posts
I'm usually in favor of replacing small sandwiched buildings of little architectural value (much of the crap the other side of the block along 30th) with something of comparable height to those around it, but this is a fine building and the tower's proposed height might dwarf its neighbors as another toothpick. Maybe it'll cantilever over the classic high-rises?

·
The only way is up
81,566 Posts
^^ If that was going to be the new design, they'd better left the old building standing. I hope it will be preserved anyway, or at least the facade.

·
faster than buildings
10,324 Posts
That design is too Middle Eastern like bodegavendetta said. At least close to here is 126 Madison Avenue planned at 730 feet/ 223 meter.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Reminds me of New Formalism from the 60s. The old building was better.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,490 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts