SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
16,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ABC's new Manhattan digs. The highest occupied space will hit the neighborhood's height limit, but mechanical bulkheads could bring the total height above 100m, like some of the new residential towers in the neighborhood,

Disney files plans for a 19-story headquarters in Hudson Square

the building will rise 19 stories and include “East” and “West” towers. Last July, the media company purchased the rights to develop the property at 4 Hudson Square from Trinity Church

[...]

The site at 4 Hudson Square contains four buildings, including 304 Hudson Street and 137 Varick Street. Disney also purchased the property operated by music venue City Winery

·
Registered
980 Posts
SOM can't break out of the box. Green terracotta and shiny brass suggest an Art Deco palette.

·
City Development Shitlord
1,551 Posts
What a shame when you consider the block directly south is mostly comprised of nondescript low-rises. Two of the mid-rises here being demolished are some of the most handsome in the area.

·
hmmm......
New York
8,710 Posts
First look at Walt Disney’s Hudson Square Headquarters

...And now, one of the biggest new buildings in the area—the Walt Disney Company’s new headquarters, taking over the site of what was once City Winery—is getting ready to rise. Disney, Silverstein Properties (which is developing the building), and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill have unveiled the first batch of renderings for the media conglomerate’s new HQ, known as 4 Hudson Square. The 1.2 million-square-foot building will occupy the entire block bordered by Varick, Hudson, Vandam, and Spring streets, with ground floor retail and new sidewalk pavings included as part of the package.

But don’t expect a glassy high-rise; instead, SOM is looking to the past, and the architecture of the surrounding neighborhood, for inspiration. The facade will be covered in soft green terra cotta tiles, with anodized aluminum panels adding accents throughout. The structure will top out around 320 feet, with two smaller towers rising from a 10-story base (for a total height of 22 stories, including mechanicals)...

...The headquarters itself will house between 4,000 and 5,000 employees of Disney and its various affiliates, including ABC7 and shows like Live with Kelly and Ryan. On the ground floor, the firms expect to build out a “singular retail experience” similar to Chelsea Market, according to Koop, with the goal of providing an amenity for both the workers in the building and neighborhood residents...

Demolition on the site’s existing buildings has already begun, and the firms expect that the new Disney HQ will take about four years to complete.

·
Super Moderator
10,878 Posts
huh, I had never heard of that neighborhood being called Hudson Square, interesting.

It's a shame about the old building being demolished, I like it, but at least the new two towers replacing it aren't too shabby, that cladding could be really classy, let's see how it works out.

As for the tenants, so Disney will move ABC there, I guess they might close their Lincoln square location. Considering that most other media studios are around midtown, this is a change.

·
16,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
huh, I had never heard of that neighborhood being called Hudson Square, interesting.

It's a shame about the old building being demolished, I like it, but at least the new two towers replacing it aren't too shabby, that cladding could be really classy, let's see how it works out.

As for the tenants, so Disney will move ABC there, I guess they might close their Lincoln square location. Considering that most other media studios are around midtown, this is a change.
Yeah, It's more commonly called West SoHo. Disney isn't the only new resident. This is also where Google is planting their flag. And yes, ABC sold their uptown headquarters to Silverstein, who recently sold a few buildings in the campus for a pretty penny. Apparently Silverstein is co-developing this building.

·
16,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
p.rosa
268 Posts
Why can't a damn developer keep what's underneath, a perfectly functioning beautiful building, put some strong concrete pilings in and build their terracotta tower on top? It's no use 'bringing back tasteful masonary' while at the same time annihilating it piece by piece.

·
msl
237 Posts
That building is coming down piece by piece, while there's a lot of work going on on the empty piece of the lot. From March 9th 2020:

·
15,822 Posts
To be honest - nothing special really

1 - 16 of 16 Posts