SkyscraperCity banner

16261 - 16280 of 18302 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I was kinda on the same page until I went to NY and saw it in person. Despite its height it really isn't noticed as much as one may think. This is probably due to the "bland" design. Standing on top of the rock looking at it, it isn't really overpowering or commanding in any way.
So all things said, yes the design could be better but is it bad? No I think it is a great addition to the eclectic NY skyline.:)

·
Archivar
450 Posts
I think 400 Fifth Avenue and 425 Fifth Avenue are a very good addition to the skyline.
New Buildings with classic forms, not copying the pre war style, but interpreting it in a modern way.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Looks like the netting on the first pair of mechanical levels have been removed already.

Yesterday, from Madison Ave.

f2 by philp foncea, on Flickr

From Osio Rock Summit, Norvin Green State Forest on Passaic Co, NJ, near the town of Wanaque, about 44 km. away. This place would be at the western edge of the New Jersey sprawl.

NYC Manhattan Skyline - P1330175 by Toby Garden, en Flickr

NYC Manhattan Skyline - P1330046 by Toby Garden, en Flickr

As a bonus, this picture taken about 3km to the north from where the above posted were taken, on Wyanokie High Point summit. The lake is the Wanaque reservoir, Manhattan skyline would be visible from there, but apparently that day wasn't clear enough.
It seems like a natural almost virgin place, but actually, beyond the lake, there is mostly the New Jersey urban sprawl all the way to Manhattan, but it is camouflaged by the vegetation.

Wyanokie High Point summit - P1290422 by Toby Garden, en Flickr

From the top of the Rock.

Top Of The Rock - New York City (USA) by Perry Tak, en Flickr

From Park Avenue

Reflection of 432 Park Avenue by javansg, en Flickr

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like 432 Park a lot it's a tower all it's own. I am looking forward to when Nordstrom is complete & the two can be compared :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Companies seeking amenity-rich luxury office space should check out 432 Park Ave.

The developer is asking up to $175 per square foot for space at the new development.

According to the article, the space with the scalators would be retail and the entrace to the office part would be on that gap or slit on the right, that have the same proportions as the tower.

The tallest residential tower in the Western Hemisphere, 432 Park Ave., has attracted some of the world's richest condo buyers. Now the project's developer, Harry Macklowe, is planning to bring deep-pocketed office tenants to the ultraluxury project.

Attached to the 1,400-foot-tall pencil-thin tower will be a six-story, 71,000-square-foot office building facing East 57th Street. The cube-like structure will go by the same 432 Park Ave. address as the residential tower, which it abuts.

Asking rents at the luxury commercial building will be among the highest in the city—starting at $150 per square foot and running as high as $175 per square foot for its top floor, which will feature a 1,600-square-foot glass penthouse that connects to a 5,000-square-foot outdoor roof deck.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20150611/REAL_ESTATE/150619972

·
read lightship chronicles
2,221 Posts
Asking rents at the luxury commercial building will be among the highest in the city—starting at $150 per square foot and running as high as $175 per square foot for its top floor, which will feature a 1,600-square-foot glass penthouse that connects to a 5,000-square-foot outdoor roof deck.
Really? So essentially a 5000sq foot "back yard" for the penthouse? I'm really curious to see how that will turn out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've loved the simplicity of this building since the early renders. I still remember the early webcam of just a huge hole in the floor wondering to myself 'Can it really be as tall as they say it is?' It makes a striking impact on the skyline, for the better IMO.

I have often wondered about the practicality of living in the building though, especially so near the top. There must be an incredible sense of isolation being up that high. I'm not sure it's something I would personally enjoy long term.

Granted the people likely to buy/live in these apartments probably have a multitude of other property and are unlikely to habitually live day in day out in them but I do wonder how it would affect your day to day life. How much time would an average resident at the top spend each week 'commuting' up and down to run errands, go to work, nip out to get some milk? I could see myself tiring of it quite quickly.

·
All Rise
16,747 Posts
Imagine if surround that area has many towers more then 450m height block city panorama.
all tourist probably are demand for new more height tower for seeing better panorama
depending on what the developers decide, One Vanderbilt may foot that bill.

·
rasorio caelum civitatem
1,310 Posts
How much time would an average resident at the top spend each week 'commuting' up and down to run errands, go to work, nip out to get some milk? I could see myself tiring of it quite quickly.
If you can afford to spend $20m for a three-bedroom apt, you can afford to have your fridge fully stocked every time you set foot in the building. Not to mention somebody to cook every meal.

·
Banned
920 Posts
I have often wondered about the practicality of living in the building though, especially so near the top. There must be an incredible sense of isolation being up that high. I'm not sure it's something I would personally enjoy long term.
Thats if he is a single anti-social billionaire with no taste for parties or girls, It also has spas ,Billiards rooms and Gyms and it won't be that lonely

Granted the people likely to buy/live in these apartments probably have a multitude of other property and are unlikely to habitually live day in day out in them but I do wonder how it would affect your day to day life. How much time would an average resident at the top spend each week 'commuting' up and down to run errands, go to work, nip out to get some milk? I could see myself tiring of it quite quickly.
This thing has a restaurant that looks like a star class hotel and they would most likely order something when they need anything unavailable.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
How much time would an average resident at the top spend each week 'commuting' up and down to run errands, go to work, nip out to get some milk?
Probably less time than someone in a walk up by foot. :)

16261 - 16280 of 18302 Posts