SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 879 Posts

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm still hopeful the 62 floors is without the full 3 million square feet. If it isn't it would result in a massive, wide tower.
They wouldn't really only do 62 floors, right?

Yea that would be a concern for me as well. That lot is enormous and Related could very well make a wide 62 floor tower. I hope not.

It would be a waste with this kind of rare assemblage with that kind of space, especially in Manhattan to just build a fatty. Lol.

They have the opportunity to develop another iconic supertall of great height & proportions! :cheers:

·
whitest boy in the delta
12,493 Posts
if it is blocking the view on the best looking building of the area, it better looks good itself :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
The HY will be very convenient for every commuter.
It's good, but with only one direct subway line and the next closest lines 2 Avenues away, it cannot compete with WTC with its 2-3-4-5-A-C-E-J-Z-R and Path.

For regional rail it is well located and the Hudson River Greenway makes for a very good bike commute option.

To be fair, if it's between 2WTC and HY, I'm simply biased and will use whatever I can get to root for the downtown option ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's good, but with only one direct subway line and the next closest lines 2 Avenues away, it cannot compete with WTC with its 2-3-4-5-A-C-E-J-Z-R and Path.

For regional rail it is well located and the Hudson River Greenway makes for a very good bike commute option.

To be fair, if it's between 2WTC and HY, I'm simply biased and will use whatever I can get to root for the downtown option ;)
A good point. But still, WTC has some of the best transport links in the country. So that's always going to come out on top.

HY has done extremely well for the situation it is in. It's not easy to broach an entirely new cluster in a city as big as New York. In the broader sense, HY represents one of the biggest developments for NY in decades. No in terms of structures or office space, but in terms of the overall personality of the city.

HY will exceed its purely objective measure because of that. So while it may not be as absolutely well connected as WTC, it has the added benefit of only getting better in the future.

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
That's cool news! But why can't the coach tower be a supertall as well :(.....
They should have rather raised the North Tower than the E Tower. Even with 1 000 feet the E Tower will be just a secondary object in the skyline :eek:hno:

·
17,408 Posts
Kanto, given where the rail yards are located, it will be one of four giant sour thumbs. 10 HY is going to look completely out of place when it tops out, and it's not even a supertall

·
Registered
815 Posts
Kanto, given where the rail yards are located, it will be one of four giant sour thumbs. 10 HY is going to look completely out of place when it tops out, and it's not even a supertall
I'm curious as to what you mean: can you expand on your statement?

10 HY is only ~150 feet taller than One Penn Plaza, which is less than 3 avenues away.

This render doesn't look bad to me:

Visualhouse via newyorkyimby.com

Thanks.

·
17,408 Posts
solgoldberg said:
10 HY is only ~150 feet taller than One Penn Plaza, which is less than 3 avenues away
exactly that, 1 Penn is the only tower relatively close in height, and its further inland. Same as the Empire State Building. 10 HY will be the attention grabber of the area. If you're sailing on the Hudson or walking down the west side, this tower will likely be the first to draw your attention, as there is nothing that tall so close to the river.

·
i ♥ NY
4,892 Posts
^^ I don´t agree with you. Height doesn´t make a building interesting looking, but it´s design does. So why would a four 1000 feet + tower cluster with a neat design look odd at all?

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The setbacks and the observation deck were never visible from the west, just like Coach's setbacks aren't visible from the east.
I just find it odd. On their FB account cover page (top), the view from the west of the Equinox tower looks completely different.

41 - 60 of 879 Posts