SkyscraperCity banner

861 - 880 of 884 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
That in itself does not have to be problematic.

ESB, Chrysler, 570 Lex are all rectangular buildings, but I doubt anyone is going to criticize those as "OMG dullsville!!".

Indeed, the relative uniformity of shapes may be one ingredient in what makes the New York skyline appealing. The jumble of buildings that sprung up in London serve as a much maligned counterpoint.

We get a lot of diversity from differences in heights, color, materials, setbacks. Which gives it an interesting, but coherent view. With an occasional well placed eye-catching exception.

Back to this building, I cannot quite put my finger on why I find it such a disappointment. 55 Hudson Yards and 35 Hudson yards are a great counterpoint to the overabundance of trivial floor to ceiling blue glass envelopes. By all accounts 50 HY should fit the same bill.

But somehow it comes across as bombastic. Perhaps the stone framing is too wide and narrower slats akin to 35 HY would have made it less hefty.

Also, I've never seen a building successfully pull off those protruding windows.

Of course, it also just is a hefty boi.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To me this area does not look like NY, all full of shiny, overpowering and tacky buildings very typical of China. But this one does, absolutely! YES! I love it! 50 Hudson Yards looks like an office building from the 80's. Noble materials, stone, glass, steel, nothing stands out, pure and simple lines, simply elegant. But it's just an opinion

·
Registered
778 Posts
To me this area does not look like NY, all full of shiny, overpowering and tacky buildings very typical of China. But this one does, absolutely! YES! I love it! 50 Hudson Yards looks like an office building from the 80's. Noble materials, stone, glass, steel, nothing stands out, pure and simple lines, simply elegant. But it's just an opinion
what? there is no "look like NY". NY must never fall into the musuem city mentality, that's the end if so. The start of the end is near when NY needs to contextualize all buildings and forgets that they are abeing lapped by more ambitious architectural towns around the world... so, YES to CHINA towers, NO TO STERN ART-DECO dinosaur towers :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
That in itself does not have to be problematic.

ESB, Chrysler, 570 Lex are all rectangular buildings, but I doubt anyone is going to criticize those as "OMG dullsville!!".

Indeed, the relative uniformity of shapes may be one ingredient in what makes the New York skyline appealing. The jumble of buildings that sprung up in London serve as a much maligned counterpoint.

We get a lot of diversity from differences in heights, color, materials, setbacks. Which gives it an interesting, but coherent view. With an occasional well placed eye-catching exception.

Back to this building, I cannot quite put my finger on why I find it such a disappointment. 55 Hudson Yards and 35 Hudson yards are a great counterpoint to the overabundance of trivial floor to ceiling blue glass envelopes. By all accounts 50 HY should fit the same bill.

But somehow it comes across as bombastic. Perhaps the stone framing is too wide and narrower slats akin to 35 HY would have made it less hefty.

Also, I've never seen a building successfully pull off those protruding windows.

Of course, it also just is a hefty boi.
No, of course not. London's skyline is the model to aim for. London? That city with the Shard and Swiss Re, the Cheese tower and all that jazZ???
London is what NY should be aiming for. Taller London.

NY skyline is a full of boxy towers and that needs to end, because it's boring as hell and NY needs to be on the cutting edge of design. No question in my mind. Ny needs to stop looking to the past and get on with the future.

·
Registered
132 Posts
what? there is no "look like NY". NY must never fall into the musuem city mentality, that's the end if so. The start of the end is near when NY needs to contextualize all buildings and forgets that they are abeing lapped by more ambitious architectural towns around the world... so, YES to CHINA towers, NO TO STERN ART-DECO dinosaur towers :)
By your way of thinking, then all the cities on the planet would be completely clones

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,487 Posts
... so, YES to CHINA towers, NO TO STERN ART-DECO dinosaur towers :)
China towers have been and gone, all that are left are the Pelli-style tapered square towers that all look similar to each other, nation and even continent-wide. Even Shanghai Tower has been having tenant trouble because of its unusual floor plates, which I think is very sad because I love that tower.

I think New York is on the way to getting London-esque towers with the future Penn Station towers and Midtown East developments. Grand Hyatt in particular will likely have a cheesegrater shape or something even more interesting to respect views of the Chrysler.

861 - 880 of 884 Posts