SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just wish the design were more daring but still very classy, elegant.. love the look of all the towers in the area pushing the West Side skyward! And just wait til the really big boys start going up!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I thought the NIMBYs were not a factor in this area.... they're telling Silverstein what to build, then if he wants he can come in at 1,100 ft or so. He's spending the money... all they do is squwk and nag. I really dislike them for the most part... if were all up to Nimby's NOTHING bold or game changing would ever get built. Hopefully Mayor de Blasio is the secret weapon to getting this done........... his support for height as a remedy to deal with density if he puts his stamp of approval on it can go a long way. Of course with the added affordability component which is his biggest thing.. hopefully he can stand down the NIMBYs who want everything but don't want to concede anything.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's stunning as a vision, nothing really like it in this part of the world. Hopefully whatever Silverstein constructs there will at least have an interesting look, certainly the Manhattan West Side is a great place to build towers that stand out.

·
Registered
947 Posts
A LOT of retail, some office, and with some design work touch ups( though I too suspect it's merely a massing model, not the approximation of the final project) will be a spectacular addition close to the heart of Midtown West. 100 floors though for 1,100 ft mean average floor heights, so the amount of floors really isn't as eye popping as it would first appear. Maybe they go a little higher, though overall I'm very happy with it and hope they can move forward relatively soon.

·
Registered
947 Posts
June 31ST???????????? That's gotta be wrong, since June NEVER has 31 days, lol!

Why a public meeting anyway? The office component is rather small, and there's a huge retail component of 300,000 square ft. With all this are they still going with the 2017 starting date or will actual groundbreaking/ construction now be in a position to start up much sooner? And the Wanda interest....... hmmmmmmmmm wonder where that goes.

·
Registered
947 Posts
They can still build what they want if plot is already as of right to build whatever height they want..... just hope the public meeting is simply a courtesy since the NIMBYs are NEVER satisfied. The office component they were complaining about will be quite small now so the haters can buzz off. If they are able to get a positive reaction from the board when can they start.. hopefully not 2017 but much sooner.

·
Registered
947 Posts
There was the teaser from Mr YIMBY himself about something really exciting coming up and I'm waiting anxiously along with everyone here on what it is. I love this tower, and it seems even some tough people to get on board now seem to have a much more favorable disposition towards the project. I'm happy it's a supertall that even people of more moderate means can actually have an opportunity to live... not just a sky palace for the very highest of the 1 %.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I do think that there will be a couple of hundred units for far under millionaire status... perhaps affordable in this context is more $75,000-150,000 and not truly "affordable" housing which still needs to be addressed but the affordable context is why it's being embraced by otherwise hard core community activists on board with this ... there are going to be to many floors and smaller units than all those ritzy condos, many glamorous units probably higher up but this development differs from the usual solely highest of high end crap. (crap not meaning the amenities, lol but the fawning pampering of billionaires and the out of touch!;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
In NY, affordable housing programs are rentals -- not units that one buys. The overwhelming majority of Manhattan residents rent and don't own.
I awkwardly stated my point, sorry... but the apartments in this development would be rental, not condo. Affordable in this context, like I mentioned would likely be relative but I certainly don't think it means more than $75,000-150,000 in income for its residents. Only 250 or so units will be affordable anyway, with hundreds of units priced at $5,000-10,000 + per month for high end units. I doubt anything here is less than $2,500-3,000 a month though even in the affordable part of the development.

·
Registered
947 Posts
No news at all.

last I read just right after that CB hearing, the article stated Silverstein now has to wait for the Dept of Planning to authorize and sign off on the exemption to allow residential on the current zoning.

IMO, the zoning regulation will be modified to allow Silverstein to build his tower.
Hopefully the wait won't be a long one. Silverstein is in great health but the dude STILL is 83!

·
Registered
947 Posts
106 floors? Holy cow!!

Do you guys remember that someone posted that when he was in front of the site, he heard a guy say that he owned the site and was going to build a 100 story tower there??? He was right!!!

http://newyorkyimby.com
106 floors, but pretty short proportionally if they're going with 1,100ft. Not quite as awesome as it sounds... hope they can at least ramp it up another 100ft or so though clearly(and thankfully) not meant as yet another trophy tower catering exclusively to the ten figures and up only club.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.