SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Yea I like it especially for the area. That section is kinda like the twin section with Atelier Twins, Silver towers and this. Eventually that area will fill out nicely when phase 2 of the Hudson Boulevard starts.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Cool. Me likes lots!! :)

It looks too nice considering where this tower will be located being near the Lincoln tunnel. If Silverstein decides to go condo with these towers then it's a possibility however my bet he is going rental here. IMO, the free standing twins would be a more realistic design.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Yea that area is a dump big time especially it's right in front of the Lincoln tunnel. Definitely with these twins, Atelier 2 and the phase 2 b of the Hudson Boulevard will definitely make that hurtin of an area better. Rome wasn't built in a day but things will start getting better here that's for sure. :)

Here's a map I made a while ago with identified development sites that will eventually improve this dreaded area.

Hopefully they can build a platform over the Lincoln tunnel entrance between 39th and 40th street in the future and potentially build towers over it.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
^^ I was just going to wonder aloud (or internet-aloud, whatever) whether capping the tunnel entrance was a possibility. Some of the most exciting projects out here in LA are the possibility of building cap parks over a number of freeway trenches. It would certainly help the walkability of the neighborhood. Also, thanks for putting that map together! Just curious, what's the color key -- Blue, Yellow, Black, Beige?
Yea I agree with u guys, a park over the cap would be great. The walkability factor definitely needs to be upped here, lol

Color Key:
Blue - Predominantly Commercial w/ mixed use development
Yellow -Predominantly Residential w/ mixed use development
Black - good buildings
Beige - old crappy buildings for possible razing for future development
Grey - Parking lots for potential development

:Cheers:

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
1,100 ft?? Wow. Better than I thought. I was happy with 750' X 2. lol

Ultimately, maybe that is what we will very well end up with. I will say this.. If Silverstein uses Deblasio's formula with affordable housing, this tower may end up even taller than 1,100ft + and De B would have no qualms about it just as long as he reaches his affordable housing goal. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I vote that this proposal should be moved to the supertall section based on Silverstein's latest proposal with the Dept of Planning: :D

New York | 514 11th Ave. | 1,100 ft | 60 fl ? | Prop

It’s obviously clear Silverstein change of heart is to take advantage of Bill D B’s affordable housing plan thus the proposal to build a 1,100’ supertall tower.

I would also assume the cost of building 1 supertall is less than or comparable than building two 700 + footers. This will obviously have a huge HUGE retail base.

As far as the Nimby's

The reason you are hearing some Nimby’s concern here is because this section of the area, there are obviously more people living there as compared to the Hudson Yards and Boulevard zone. I think as far as Related, if there are noises from Nimby’s it’s because its from the people living at the OHM building at 30th Street. Brookfield project hear noise mainly from a school with dorms nearby.

I completely agree with Ghostface’s post above, as I would not be worried about those Nimby’s complaining about the proposed height of this tower. Bill D B is intent to meet his affordable housing goals and ya better believe it…. nothing will get in his way to achieve it. Affordable housing with Density is his legacy that he will be building here for his administration.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I agree about the area for a lux condo, but I think it's a real possibility he may go condo here. I remember reading an article a while ago, Silverstein championing for more affordable housing in this area and specifically for this project.

This area is changing and he may be banking this are will improve drastically because of the Hudson Yards and all the peripheral developments rising amd slated to rise around there.

Plus I read somewhere Bill DB is willing to build more platforms over the rail yards all around in the city to create more housing. It is my hope one day that they could eventually build platform over the Lincoln tunnel and Dywer avenue roadways especially between 9th and 10th avenues from 30th street all the way up above 42nd street to create more housing. This area imo, could be the next great big development of land after the Hudson Yards in Manhattan.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Slightly off topic, but why is this called 'affordable housing' when it's mostly only affordable to the top 1%?
Sorry I'm on a bumpyyy bus ride. Lol. I'll give it a try.

They have income requirements for families. Just as an example, lets say a family makes less than $42k per year can qualify for affordable units set aside by developer.

In this case for new development b4 Bill D B the ratio a developer must make was 80% market and 20% affordable of the total project. By meeting that requirement the developer can avail such incentives such as tax breaks, credits etc as result of creating affordable housing.

This way people living in the city will not only be for population with high income bracket and it's a way to have diversity amongst the population. Lol.

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

Hudson River ferry service launching
http://www.amny.com/transit/hudson-river-ferry-service-launching-1.8012387

A new ferry service for Manhattanites will set sail on Monday, bringing riders along the Hudson River.

New York Water Taxi is launching a north-south service on mornings and evenings next week to run between Pier 84 in Hudson River Park at West 44th Street and Brookfield Place at Brookfield Place's World Financial Center.

The ferry will connect residents coming to Manhattan's Hudson Yards development on the far west side to theFinancial District. The ride -- which only run on weekdays -- will cost $4.50 one way and $8 round-trip, lasting about 15 minutes, a rep for New York Water Taxi said.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
As per Sir Nikoli F Yimby! ;)

Vision: 514 Eleventh Avenue
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/05/vision-514-eleventh-avenue.html

Silverstein’s development at 514 Eleventh Avenue has recently re-appeared in headlines as the tower may end up standing 1,100′ tall, becoming one of the tallest residential buildings in Manhattan. While the ‘supertall’ plans have not been revealed, renderings of the project on Oppenheim Architecture + Design‘s Architizer page depict another vision for the site, which would be truly iconic....Read more in link

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I too hope (and suspect) that that's a massing model, but I do like the proportions. It's not too bulky, nor too thin.
Yea me too but whatever!!! In this section of town, I would seriously take it even if this is more or less what we are going to get. I just hope the cladding will be nice and I’m sure it will, especially if Mr. Wanda is in fact involved. Past reports mentioned he is looking for a developer to partner up with to construct a $1B + Hotel/ Condo development. If that is the case, Mr. Wanda has the funds to start this project rapidamente! :)

This tower will be a perfect bookend to the Supertall towers in the south end of Hudson Boulevard and keep in mind that this tower will not stick out like a sore thumb because there will be ~700-900’ towers rising along the boulevard to the south.

It looks like Silverstein is going with 520 West 41st Street as the official address for this 1.7 gsf project.

While this is an As-Of-Right development, I was curious as to why a public hearing was even necessary other than at the request of some residents within the vicinity worried about the height.

A public hearing is scheduled for tomorrow, June 31st and the public scoping document revealed which was surprising to me at least the following:

The Special Hudson Yards District was created in 2005, and at the time it was envisioned that the project site, located near the then planned Intermediate Station for the No. 7 subway line at 41st Street and Tenth Avenue, would be redeveloped with a large office building. Since that time, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) put the plan to build the Intermediate Station on hold indefinitely due to a lack of funding.

The applicant believes that the project site is unsuitable for large scale office development as was originally contemplated in 2005 and more suitable for a predominantly residential development.

The applicant anticipates that construction of the proposed development would start in early 2017 with construction occurring over an approximately threeyear period with all components complete and fully operational by the year 2020.

I’m a bit surprised as I had always thought the plan of this site was mostly residential.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
June 31ST???????????? That's gotta be wrong, since June NEVER has 31 days, lol! Why a public meeting anyway? The office component is rather small, and there's a huge retail component of 300,000 square ft. With all this are they still going with the 2017 starting date or will actual groundbreaking/ construction now be in a position to start up much sooner? And the Wanda interest....... hmmmmmmmmm wonder where that goes.
That's embarrassing! It's July 31st so my bad!! Lol

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/env_review/520_west_41st/scoping_notice.pdf

Btw, this proposal could have up to 1,400 units which I believe would makes this the largest apt tower in NYC if this would be all apartments! Too lazy to check but TF Cornerstone has 1,200 units planned I believe.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Revealed: 520 West 41st Street
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/07/revealed-520-west-41st-street.html/1

Preliminary renderings are up for Silverstein’s 520 West 41st Street via the project’s draft Environmental Impact Statement, which affirm the building’s status as one of the largest in Manhattan, given it will stand 1,100 feet tall. More impressive is the actual floor-count of approximately 106, which will surpass all other skyscrapers on the island.

The development’s scope is going to be a game-changer for the far West Side, and the massive injection of new retail space — totaling 300,000 square feet, if current plans are approved — would be a catalyst for walkability. The EIS notes that 520 West 41st Street will also include 175,000 square feet for corporate apartments, as well as 1.14 million square feet of residential space — split between 1,400 apartments — for a gross of 1.685 million square feet.

While the height of 520 West 41st Street will be impressive, the most notable aspect of the tower is its sheer size, which also presents a turning point New York development has long needed: as ‘supertall’ technology continues to advance, buildings of 1,000′+ will no longer be restricted to the uber-rich. This means that mass-market towers that cater to all demographics are on the near-horizon, yielding new opportunities for satiating demand, and constructing supply where it is most needed.

Indeed, 520 West 41st Street will have more units than the combined total of every other residential supertall either proposed or under construction in New York City. Even the project’s affordable component — which will total approximately 280 apartments — will have more units than projects like 432 Park Avenue and 217 West 57th Street.
While all-super-luxe skyscrapers are not a bad thing, the scope of Silverstein’s tower proves that 1,000′+ buildings can help solve the affordability crisis.

With approximately 106 levels, the ‘floor-count’ at 520 West 41st Street will be unprecedented amongst residential towers in the United States. The development will also have the most apartments of any building in New York City. Alternate visions for the site presented attractive and forward-thinking possibilities, but the EIS scoping documents push the kind of density and verticality that Manhattan sorely needs....(read more in link)

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
^^Thats good to hear and expected at this stage of the ball game. I too hope something amazing design wise will be planned here plus this puppy could still have a crown which will make this even taller. :D

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
NYC's largest residential skyscraper proposed for West Side
http://www.amny.com/news/developers-reveal-plans-for-city-s-largest-residential-skyscraper-in-west-side-1.8632270

A skyscraper proposed for the revamped west side would be the largest residential tower this city's every seen if it gets the go-ahead.

Silverstein Properties, the developer behind the new World Trade Center, introduced early plans to the Department of City Planning last week to build an 1,100-foot mixed skyscraper between 41st and 40th Streets and 10th and 11th Avenues.

If approved, the 520 West 41st St. project, which is awaiting approval from the city's Department of Planning for a public review process, will be the fourth largest building in the city and the largest residential tower
Robert Benfatto, the district manager for Manhattan's Community Board 4, which oversees the area, said the neighborhood is generally excited about the energy the skyscraper would bring to the area, which is already being reshaped by the Hudson Yards development further south.

"We like the fact that it will be developed because now that space is just an empty lot," he said.
Benfatto said the board looked over the draft a few weeks ago and some members had concerns about the height of the building but overall liked the current scope of work.

"We hope that it fits in with the area and the retail is beneficial not only for the people visiting but also those who live in the area," he said.

Andrew Dolkart, a professor at Columbia University's Graduate School of Architecture, agreed.

Dolkart, who is a staunch opponent to One57 and the other skyscrapers that are being constructed in midtown due to the massive shadows they cast on the neighborhood, said the West Side is the perfect place for such tall structures such as the skyscrapers under construction at the main Hudson Yards site at 34th Street and 11th Avenue.

"It is a relatively undeveloped area," he said. "The idea of Hudson Yards was to create a dense tall urban neighborhood."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.